1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. molochnik

molochnik Member

Hi, new guy here on the forum. Raced V6 back in the mid-90s and considering joining up again.
    I've done my level best to discern what exactly is going on w/ the vintage classes. I've got a 1981 XS650 bored to a 750 that has a 17x2.5 front and a 17x 3.5 rear, discs at both ends. I was looking at the 2017 rulebook and V4 looked like a legal fit, but it seems that V4 is *absolutely* gone.

Am I right to understand there will be just two Formula classes; up to 500cc and over 500cc?

Do my disc brakes (the front being an oversized supermoto rotor w/ 4 pot caliper) put me out of vintage?

I started putting this thing together using stuff I've had around intending to use it for track days. Then I noticed it would fit in D superbike and thought I'd perhaps race vintage again.

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Some classes will run combined, but you still have V4, V3, 500GP, V5, V6MW, V6LW, V6HW, V7MW, V8MW, V8 HW and V5. It looks like maximum rotor size is 12 inch, but who will be out there with a tape measure? It also looks like the 4 piston caliper is OK for V4.

3. molochnik

molochnik Member

^^ Thanks!
    I just combed through the component specs at the end of the vintage section in the rulebook and it doesn't specifically prohibit 4 pots for V4 and up. I didn't notice the 12" disc restriction; I think mine might actually be legal in that case...I'll have to check. I wasn't real fast "back then" so I doubt it'll be an issue as long as I'm a backmarker.

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Brakes only slow you down. Big brakes are really bad about that . . . .

I intend to have my V4 bike out this year, and you'll not hear a peep from me about trash can lid size rotors.

Cheers,

Dave

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Lace up a set of 18's with a 2 pot caliper, and your bike would run v3 also.And be a ringer.....

6. molochnik

molochnik Member

Dave - I appreciate your discretion!

bogganman - While I would likely need the displacement advantage, should it prove effective, the tear-downs would be brutal on my budget :)
    I actually grafted a set of RZ350 wheels onto it after I bought it as a neglected stocker back in 2000. I had concerns about not being able to find good rubber in those sizes and figured I'd use my supermoto hubs with the 17x3.5 front rim on the rear and the 17x2.5 I took off of my DR650. I thought I might be able to find appropriate slicks, but I'm certain I didn't look hard enough.
    *sigh* I still miss 591s.

I'm glad to see the sense of humor still present among the vintage community!

Robin172 likes this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

We're just a bunch of broken old men riding broken old bikes, it's all we've got.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easiest thing for you (and everyone else really) to do is check out the Talladega schedule - http://www.wera.com/pdfs/eventschedule/talladega021818.pdf

The Vintage classes listed are the ones running in 2018 at all Sportsman events. Twice on DH weekends.

The rules for the classes listed are NOT changing any more than normal yearly tweaking, I'll have another thread on that soon if it's necessary. So find the class(es) your bike is legal for and go have fun :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To all - I again reiterate that the rules for the 2018 classes are NOT changing drastically to accommodate any of the class restructuring. The 2017 classes (plus a couple of others like 250GP and Sidecars) will ALL be run at VMD. I will try to separate those out on the daily schedule so you can run the ones your bike was originally built for as well as the ones you're running this year for points. Since you are effectively bumping up I think the schedule from last year will work but I'll double check when I get to that point.

You can of course build your bikes to the current class structure, however at VMD the old rules will be in place for the old classes and you may not be legal depending on the changes you make. I hope to have the rulebook rewritten/rearranged and clearer by early next week. Staying home from Tally to get it done.

10. molochnik

molochnik Member

Thanks for the clarity Mongo!
    Sorry, but I gotta ask, what is a "DH" weekend?

I presume "VMD" is Vintage Motorcycle Days @ Mid Ohio?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

DH = Double Header, so you race once on Saturday and same schedule again on Sunday. Tally is a good example of it.

VMD is indeed Vintage Motorcycle Days. It's got more Vintage classes than we normally run and a few modern ones tossed in for fun.

12. molochnik

molochnik Member

Thanks again. I just looked over the Talladega schedule and it's all very clear now.
    FWIW, compared to the schedule I remember from the 90s, I think this construct is more attractive.

13. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Your 750cc is legal in v3. all years of the xs650 are legal. No teardowns necessary. Read the rulebook. Avon tires in a 110/18 and 130/650 18 work great. Or run v4 as it is. Youll be in the same race, just one class up.

14. molochnik

molochnik Member

I saw that XS650s were legal for V3, but I figured going up to a 752 would constitute more than the typical maintenance work allowed. A 75mm bore up to an 81mm seems like a cheater motor, to me anyway. I just want to finish in the rear with less shame :)
    I do see that there is no expressed limit on overbore though...then again the rulebook says one has to presume one cannot do something unless it says you can. I am used to the standard wisdom of V6, 20 years ago, where Superbike rules were assumed and 1mm overbores were the limit.

Could be wrong though; I've hit my head a number of times since then. o_O

15. molochnik

molochnik Member

I just looked up the tires you've mentioned. I probably should've joined up here before lacing up my wheels, but like I said, I was just trying to use stuff I had laying around - the supermoto bike is long gone plus I shaved 16lbs off of the bike just getting rid of the RZ wheels. I've kinda stayed with Dunlops and Metzelers. I tried some other brands (but not Avon) and was disappointed. As Kipling wrote - stay with the devil you know!

yamageezer likes this.
  16. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

How about ss rd 250 with a drum?

17. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Tear-downs?