1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - we've been looking at it and it is time to get rid of some of the less popular classes. The plan is to get the Saturday schedule to two races and then run them with the Sunday schedule which makes most events double headers and a lot more opportunities for Vintage racers to come play.

First though - VMD will still have everything it had last year. Some just won't be accumulating any points (already have/had classes like that anyway).

I believe we'll have classes the bikes can all ride in even if they're not necessarily competitive.

So on the chopping block altogether - Formula 2-stroke, Formula 500, V1, and V2. We only had one or two riders run any of these outside of VMD.

Now, for the others... Is there any reason to run Formula 500 and 350 GP? I think everyone other than Bowie in 350GP also ran 500GP and I should be able to safely put it with the V5/V3 race.

For the new schedule idea we're going to nuke F3 altogether so I can put some classes with Clubman. Also looking at nuking HW Twins altogether so I can put some others with V6HW and V7MW. I have some ideas on which can go where but have to run the boss to the eye doc now. Depending on how traffic is coming home I'll eaither check into the bitching tonight or it'll be tomorrow morning and I'll post more ideas on the schedule then. :D

2. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Nuking HWT altogether??? I FINALLY will be able to run a full season in the SE this year with 2 of my friends- that’s a bummer if it’s gone.

3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

And only 1 person ran Gp 500 that did not run gp 350, so what class is more important? All the guys that bumb up or just 1 gp 500 guy ?

4. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Sean, You could be the reason that vintage motorcycle racing becomes so popular again.Stepping out side "the way we've always done it," let's consider all it could be? We have the technological power to offer flexibility to actually please all the people all the time in this, our darkest hour... You have the ability to save all vintage classes.

Consider E-trophies and cut the hard copies costs till we get some popularity going here. DONE! Now for the magic.

Making it simple and sweet, if you scheduled 3 vintage races in a day, (I suppose it could be done with 2, but not optimum) allowing all racers the chance to race three times that day. At time of registration a racer simply states which run will be his, for example, first run is my 350GP and second run will be the GP500 pass, and third will be Le mans Start CB160 class. This could draw business as the AHRMA "minor leagues, a place to get comfortable before you meet your 40 playmates? YOU have the ability to run any organization's race class/rules set this way, each time you run a vintage race, self governed. Aint no reasaon a vintage motorcycle be excluded from the track. NO BIKE LEFT BEHIND!

Track grid placement based on racer's track times history.
    Faster bikes in front to slower racers in the back, faster guys understand they will encounter slower traffic in the back of the pack.

Best time that day for that class is the winner, determined after the completion of the third race.

3rd race of the day considered as recommended for novice-feeling newbies, as those whose budget only covers 2 races.

From there, let the popular classes have there classes resurrected by popular demand.

Talk about making the best of a bad situation? Jack

5. videojack

P.S. If safety is a concern for traffic speed differences, a rule that each racer's race is over as they reach the back of the pack, hand up, leg out to acknowledge and inform. last "fast lap" at the timer was the official end of race. Faster racers are in their cool down lap as soon as back oc pack is sighted, if not beyond the start finish line.

6. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Sean,
    I hope that I might be able to convince you not to cut out Vintage-1 and Vintage-2 entirely. It seems like you want to cut down from 3 separate race events down to 1. From V5/V3 ; F500V1/GP350 ; V2/GP500 --down to--> V5/V3/(old Hondas and maybe Doug). Or maybe 3 events down to 2 events. Since you are considering gridding 500GP up with V5/V3, then surely there is room for the combined remains of V1 and V2 somewhere on that grid... and maybe a few F500 and 2-strokes too. I wouldn't be opposed to competing with F500 and F2-stroke in a combined class if that's what it takes. I know that may not suit everyone. We've been racing 'with' each other for a while anyways, we might as well get some points for passing each other :) I kinda feel like I'm scrambling to hold on to V1 and V2 just a few months after winning them.
    Sincerely,
    -John Cook
    2017 V1 & V2 National Champion

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I am not affected by the proposed changes so I'll leave that to others, but I think having a couple of vintage races on both Saturday and Sunday is the way to go. I would think it is a lot of effort to got to the track for just one day of racing, so now here is everyone's opportunity to get a full weekend in, which now includes Sunday practice.

fireman343 and Killswitch like this.
  8. videojack

I too like the Sunday option. When travel is involved, back by Monday can also be important. When the kids were at home, I liked being home on Sunday. I really like options over the lack thereof.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only non-350GP guy that ran 500GP? I know Doug has a 450 Ducati which would be a 500GP, non-350GP bike, and I know Mick McDaniel is planning on bringing his BSA 500 (non-350GP) back out. While ostensibly I have a dog in this fight, I'm fine with whatever is best for the organization and the future of vintage racing. If I have to bump up to another class in order to run, that's fine. All I want in the end is a place to wobble around with others. I understand and appreciate the issues facing WERA vis-à-vis Vintage and I'm simply happy they will continue to provide some type of Vintage program. So, . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

Harry V. III likes this.
  10. fsualum998

fsualum998 Well-Known Member

I second the concern Steve. I also planned on running HWT this year at all national rounds except Pitt and Jersey. As a new racer to WERA, it would suck to see it go. That class is the reason I chose to race WERA this year.

tdelegram, pawpawrc and Christian157 like this.
  11. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Well crap, that just leaves V3 for the RD400, right?

12. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I was planning on running HWT twins this year with WERA given the fact that CCS axed Supertwins. Thought the numbers would be up in the class this year because of it. Not looking forward to racing Ahrma but it’s starting to look like the only option now. In other threads on here I have read interest in the Ahrma classes why not make something similar fit here.

13. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Jack, don't take this the wrong way, from a guy who hasn't raced in a few years, but.....what????

Are you agreeing with Doug and advocating the saving of your primary class, 350gp....or are you actually talking about ADDING races in a thread about the elimination of them?

I realize you are a visionary, and are trying to help, but I'm confused sir, sorry:confused:

For the record, whatever happens it would be tragic for Mr. Rutherford to be left high and dry without 500gp.....wouldn't be right. He's been around longer than his B50.

John Cook has some points as well. Me being a V1 guy, its a tough call.

Good luck with the new format WERA and racers. I'll be back, and when I am I'll be running WERA if they let me!!!!

14. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I was planning heavy weight twin all the endurance round Sunday sprints myself, barring a broken bike.

15. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

V3/V5 combined kinds sucks for Mark, Dick, myself and anyone else that have just finished up bikes for both classes.

16. Duck150

You should not destroy a class (gp350) that makes a class ( gp 500) to only keep gp 500..... there only one gp 500 bike out there for years! . If all the guys that bumb up to make Gp 500 a choice in one class, they all would choose GP 350! So why destroy it? You want everyone to bumb up a class to keep a class when we enjoy GP 350 ! If we did not bumb up there would be No Gp 500 but one person ..... Anyway WTF... Thanks

17. Duck150

V-5 and V-3 have always run together, so why would anyone build two bikes that have run together forever in WERA? Unless one is for another racing organization?

JBall and craig641 like this.
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

As much as it pains me to say this - in concept only - Doug Bowie actually makes a good point. There, I've said it. Let me recover for a few minutes.;)

If one bike, when running, makes a class, whereas multi bikes "bump up" to that class, it would seem prudent, economically, to keep the smaller class, and have the one bike bump up, again, assuming that single bike shows and is running (always an issue with a BSA).

I think there is probably a more fundamental issue here which involves a wholesale restructuring of the classes. Historically, the original division was 250, 350 and 500 cc classes. But, then the 2 strokes entered the picture and were competitive against bikes approximately twice their displacement, i.e., 250's vs 500 cc four strokes. Then the advent of big bikes, i.e., 750's and up. I don't suggest a wholesale reorg on the eve of a new season - this should be done a year in advance to allow folks to plan, build, adjust, etc. I'm happy to work on this conceptually in advance. I'm not sure what the thought or reasoning or potential benefits are for this year by combining and reducing the number of classes. Maybe I've missed something. If you want to save expenses - eliminate trophies, except for the GNF and season. WERA still has the track for Saturday, and with the larger class numbers, arguably you have more entries, hence $$$'s.

Got legal work to do . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

19. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Will disc brakes be allowed in 350GP if v1 is gone? V1 is my class, and V2 is my bump up. My season was planned with more WERA than AHRMA due to my lack of vacation time. Do I need to buy another bike for WERA? I know something needs to be done, but I hope this doesn't send me packing.

20. Duck150

You can race v-3 John, That's what Buff did on this Drixon 350 Honda ....