1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just picked up this Specialized Venge. Local Craigslist deal too good to pass up.

Gonna pull all the SRAM bits off and hang the extra Di2 setup I have on it and turn my Fuji into a cyclocross bike for the winter with the wheels off the Venge and put my C50 wheels on this frame. Pretty stoked.

IMG_20171028_100321.jpg

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

As soon as I find the right deal on a specialized Allez Sprint I’ll snatch it up as a crit racer. They just seem to tick all the right boxes for me.

3. metricdevilmoto

Depending on what size frame you're looking for there's one going for pretty cheap not far from me. It's a 58 though, which is why I'm sure it hasn't sold yet.

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I’m on so many classifieds sites to include all of the regional Facebook sales pages that I’ve most likely seen the exact bike you mention. I need a 54 though.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  5. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Snagged an Ultegra di2 hydraulic setup to upgrade my on my Giant Defy advanced with 105 kit. Pretty cool what this stuff can do and how simple it is to install/setup. I’ve also ordered the PRO vibe bar/stem to route all the wires and battery internally for a clean setup. The battery actually goes in the steer tube!

Never worked on bicycles really so why not start now lol.

6. metricdevilmoto

The Di2 stuff is awesome. From the first time I rode my buddy's bike when he got it, I was hooked. Our other riding buddy made the great comparison to a quickshifter on race bike. Sure, you can race without one... but why would you?

I just got done giving the Specialized Venge I picked up the Di2 treatment and I picked up the Shimano programmer that lets you plug into everything and update firmware and change a lot of the functions. You can change the trim, fine tune a lot of stuff and change the auto shift settings if you want. Basically, a Power Commander for the Di2. Pretty cool.

7. metricdevilmoto

IMG_20171116_210509_01.jpg

Ready to ride. Hoping to put some miles on this weekend. Only thing I didn't do that I might is get the battery for inside the seat post to make everything internal. I already had an extra external mount, so I just used that.

8. metricdevilmoto

Oh, and I need the new Pirelli Velo tires to be available in the states!

9. metricdevilmoto

IMG_20171116_211055_01.jpg

The KMC chain might be my favorite part.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

If you decide to go internal battery, I’ve got one I’ll sell for cheap.

11. metricdevilmoto

I THINK there might be compatibility issues with other components. I need to look into it.

PM me a price though, please.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Anyone have a 700C-25 or 28 commuting tire recommendation? I am looking at the Gatorskin or the Armadillo, anything else I should be looking at? I have used the Schwalbe Marathon in the past, but they felt numb with a lot of rolling resistance, so I'd like to move to a tire that protects from glass (within reason) and doesn't cause every ride to feel like I'm pulling a trailer.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What kind of conditions do you commute in ? Where do you live ?
    The Gatorskin is is a classic but the Conti stuff can get expensive. I've had good results with Vittoria in the past, and they are usually cheaper.

14. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

I use the 700x32 Gatorskins @ 60psi religiously on my road bike (CX Bike). I use the bike for training, so I mostly ride on road shoulders (typical road side debris including glass), gravel and asphalt paths. I’ve only had one flat in the last 2 seasons and the tires also wear pretty well on the trainer too. I haven’t noticed an issue with rolling resistance. They are on the pricier side, but for me the tire life justifies the cost...I usually just replace the rear.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Gatorskins will hold small pieces of glass and metal in the surface of the tire, so it’s a good idea to habitually inspect the tires and pull the bits of glass, metal, etc. out with a pair of tweezers.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I can get the gators for less than $100 a pair, shipped (@G Dawg has good prices). Same conditions as below (road shoulders mostly for debris, LOTS of glass recently). Seattle is my locale, so rain friendly. I got 3,000+ miles out of the Specialized OEM tires, but the glass cuts are making me nervous about carcass life. I pick debris out every couple of weeks, and the tires are getting pretty cut up after the latest round of inspections.

Which Vittoria? They have what looks like 50 different tires.
    Similar conditions as you, and I pick glass and other debris out during maintenance. I got to the cloth strands in the tire carcass yesterday after digging for debris. I had a small piece of glass work through the carcass and puncture the tube, I'm just waiting for the next one to come through. This was my first flat in about 9 months, third in the last 30 months (since I started commuting). So not too bad, in my opinion. The thorn proof tubes really help, but I haven't installed it in the front, just the rear. I'm just looking to be ready for the carcass to fail.

16. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Big fan of the gatorskins here in 25c, ride at least 200 miles a week on them, never had a flat

17. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 25mm Black Chili
    Just bought em for $70 (two tyres) incl. shipping and no tax... Planet Cyclery.com

18. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 25mm Black Chili
    Just bought em for $70 (two tyres) incl. shipping and no tax... Planet Cyclery.com

19. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

I like those tires, but only run them on my carbon wheels when I do group rides

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I ride the Conti GP 2000 4000S II also, but I think they wouldn't be too good in wet conditions. It's more of a race tire with little road resistance for dry conditions.
    The Vittoria I was referring to is the Zaffiro Pro Tech.