1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting global warming!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lots of stuff in the bible is historically accurate(ish). Same for a lot of religious texts. Doesn't change there is no magical creature in space watching over everyone :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Dammit, I'm just trying to give someone a little hope that their beliefs are not all wrong. (maybe):D

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

crashman likes this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It won't matter to the true believers. It's a religion.

6. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

the good news is i don't have to wait around for you and "hope". it lies elsewhere. :)

...if the world could disprove the bible, they would. they can't, they won't. and yet, many will never believe. odd situation, isn't it?

Happy Sunday y'all!

7. David B

David B Member

Not discounting that it's BS, but they likely have a very good idea of how much carbon a battleship produces. All you need to know is how much fuel they burn (and I'm betting the military bean counters have a spreadsheet or two on that) and the hydrogen/carbon ratio of that fuel and you've got the carbon emissions level. Or CO2 if you prefer. Only difference is the molecular weight used for the calcs.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Except that burning fuel from moving around is not the only way in which carbon is produced when it comes to a battleship. The numbers the DOD produces for emissions are generic. They don't reflect variations in operations, the crew, producing the equipment, producing or using the weapons, the operations in port, etc. The point of that last post was not a single battleship - the context was a bit larger. There's a calculator floating around showing "how many earths" a typical American consumes when it comes to carbon. Part of that calculation includes "services" from which we all benefit. One element of that is some number representing the entirety of the US military. The point of the post is that those calculations are frought with guesstimations and assumptions.

I'm not a climate change denier, but having studied this information, I can say that the ecological science community sometimes does not do themselves favors. It seems they both oversimplify and over-complicate when it fits their arguments at times.

9. In Your Corner

And don't forget outright fraud.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

crashman likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

People who plug in their cars and think they're creating no pollution when they do so won't care.
    Out of sight, out of mind.

crashman likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Could you imagine all of the fear mongering that could have been done over the drought that happened during the Great Depression if only they would have had the internet. Our climate would have been so stable right now if we could have stopped that evil CO2 in its tracks...:rolleyes:

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Kind of like the militant vegan who told me that hunting is a deplorable activity, and if I absolutely must eat meat, I should buy it at the store like a civilized human.... Wut? :whoosh:

BHP41 and crashman like this.
  15. In Your Corner

Vegans are usually animal lovers who have dogs and cats.
    Dogs and cats that eat a lot of formerly breathing food.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Here's a question:

If we only have weather records since the 1800's, what percentage of the Earth's age are the scientists basing climate change on?

XFBO likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The part that fits the hypothesis.

crashman and dtalbott like this.
  18. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FTFY

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really