1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on termination wanted.

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ptog

Ptog I Miss Corner Working

How can there be a successor if your position is being eliminated?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Easy. Eliminate his postion while creating a new position with a different title but has all his responsibilities.

3. Ptog

Ptog I Miss Corner Working

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I go in this morning and they want this change and that change made, set up this new user, fix this system, etc. etc.. Successor is nowhere to be found, evidently he is of the 9:30 AM until variety.

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

One IT guy to another... they're bringing in a non-unix guy to run a company that's based on *nix servers? Do they even have a CLUE what they're about to do? This coming from a windows guy...

Personally, I'd do my job but do it to the least extent I could. You simply can't teach someone *nix in two weeks, let alone looking after things like a RAC db and web farm. That's just plain insane. Personally... I'd make sure as many doors were locked as possible and leave with the keys, so to say. They WILL be calling you back.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It would really suck if the system crashed.

7. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

:D:D

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Wouldn't it though. Particularly a day or two after you leave...

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Corrected for her pleasure. :up:

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I know, I'm still bewildered by the decision. It's going to be "Welcome to Kurt's House of Pain", and I actually kind of feel for the guy.

That's just it, it will and it will do it without any help from me. Average age of the equipment is at least 6-7 years, and it's all been MacGyver'd over the years as there has been no budget so I've had to be "creative" to fill the gaps. Open source here, FreeBSD on an old PC there, etc. etc.. It's a nightmare, to be honest. Oracle is 8i running on an 11 year old system, and the only thing missing are green screens and SCO. Does it all need to be swept out and replaced? You bet. If there had been a budget it would have happened long ago. I don't understand how it's all going to be replaced in two weeks, especially without any money. Now it's not my problem.

Anyone need a UNIX guy with a CISSP? I got mad MacGyver skills, too. :D

11. scotth

scotth Banned

I don't want to be the 'silver lining' guy, but it sounds like not working there might not be such a bad thing. I had a job I hated once and not working there anymore was one of the best things I ever did. Just hurry up and replace the paycheck.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I won't lie, when they told me the news I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. Now I don't have to lie awake at night worrying that the vintage Oracle system won't be running when I go into work.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Last place I worked still had some TRS-DOS 8" floppies in storage...

14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Demand substantial exit pay. If they won't bite walk out the door then and there.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"McGyvered"???

Nah. Evidently, you're too old...

:D

16. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

THAT RIGHT THERE is absolutely the best way to handle the situation.

Now Imma give you 100% Putter -

"You wanna let me go and train some new shit who can't even show up on time? F*ck you buddy. I kill your place!"

Calmy dowse as much of the place in lighter fluid as you can before they call the cops and throw out your cigar on the way out. Do this naked. Sleep great that night.

17. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

2 words

Uppper
    Decker

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  18. twilkinson3

twilkinson3 see god...brake....

19. caferace

caferace No.

System crashes are easy. Now a meltdown of a RAID failure ... :D