1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirellis to Bridgestones

Discussion in 'General' started by eroge, Mar 24, 2008.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I didn't want to leave early from nashville, but after 10+ hours to get there, I descided when th elast race was over, I had to leave. I stayed for everything but the awards.

Justin, did you screw around and do good? I knew my words of wisdom and encouragement would help.

2. Sklossmonster

Sklossmonster Well-Known Member

I just had my first experience on Bridgestones after several years on Pirelli, and this thread confirms my first impressions.

Although the tire diameters are basically the same, the Bridgestone carcass is much stiffer than the Pirelli carcass, which I suspect creates a little different geometry at turn in, as the 003s don't compress as much under braking, which carries the nose of the bike a little higher as you trail it in.

I immediately wanted to lower the front a little to get the turn in characteristics I'm used to, but I wound up trailing the brakes harder and leaning up and over the front end more to compensate until I had time to lower the front.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the grip and wear characteristics.

The Bridgstones seem to be every bit as good a tire for a lot less money.

I'm trying the slicks next weekend on a bike that's still set up for Pirellis, can't wait to see how that goes.

3. lightningforce9

lightningforce9 RIP GaWarrior

Truth be told. No.

I started on pole for that race and stalled the start. 5 people in the race. one was DQed and one crashed.

I didn't even know I placed 3rd until the trophy presentation and they called my name, I was like WTF.

I was kinda encouraged by that race. I know its slow, but I was running VERY consistent 11's that race.

As always, I appreciate the advice.

4. stickboy274

11's are progress from where you were Sat, and you have been off the bike since before the GNF.

Good job.

Sklossmonster. the slicks are built different than the DOT's. You will need to run the pressures down on the rear to make up for the stiffer construction. No higher than 28 off the track.

Have fun

5. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Excellent thread! :beer:

I have been thinking about switching to Stones. After talking with Stick Boy and reading this thread, I may do it sooner than later.

6. lightningforce9

I doubt you would be disappointed. Heck, even if I don't need tires, I'll usually stop by his trailer just for him to give me a few smart ass comments.

7. stickboy274

I wouldn't call them smart

8. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

Stick, I'm gonna pick up a set of slicks @ Barber, and I've been running the 003's, what changes do I need to make?

9. coturi

coturi Well-Known Member

Stick, I'll be running Miller tomorrow with soft slicks. Could you give me a starting point with pressures?

10. Sklossmonster

Sklossmonster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip!

11. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

what about the 003s, what pressure changes should be made coming form supercorsas?

12. lightningforce9

30F/R on warmers for 1 hr.

32 hot on track f/r. Then adjust to suit your riding stle.

13. stickboy274

Actaully, the base for the 003's is 30f/30r off the track. The base for the slicks is 30f/28r off the track. Adjust for ambient and track temp to get the off the warmer pressures.

The 003 fronts only grow 1-2 psi from warmers to off track. The rears will gain 2-4 depending on track temp and riding style.

The slicks will gain 2-3 front, and 2-4 rear. These are what we see most of th etime. You may get more or less depending on your riding style/yourbike/your skill.

14. varicella

varicella Well-Known Member

still running 30/30 hot (right off the track) for the 003 RS? going to be running them for the first time this weekend at road atlanta... gonna be f*ing cold! (high of mid 40s).

15. stickboy274

Yup. Should be a good place to start

16. tye1138

tye1138 Member

Has anybody made the switch from Dunlop slicks to Bridgestone slicks.

If so, what are the few differences I should be looking out for.

I'm going to be trying a set of bridgestones at a test this weekend and sadly won't be using my bike, so I need to know what sorta issues people have encountered, however unimportant they may be.

17. stickboy274

The front needs to be 30 off the track, and the rear needs to be no higher than 28 off the track.

That will be important