1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford diesel vs. Chevy Diesel...better mileage??

Discussion in 'General' started by gawarrior, May 26, 2006.

1. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

Chad ,
    Let me know if you got my PM ........

2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

3. gawarrior

gawarrior Well-Known Member

I haven't bumped it up to 80 yet. I am at 60 all around right now...I may try 80 in the rear tires next time I haul the trailer. Probably september to barber...

If you get a programmer I will really be interested in the results. I am going to stay stock for a little longer but I may get one for christmas....

that tow mode is awesome ain't it:D I love it!!:clap:

4. gawarrior

nope didn't get it...you get mine? I sent you one right after Jennings....

5. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Well-Known Member

6. RPatch

RPatch Well-Known Member

I haven't read this whole thread because I can't pay attention that long, but I've got an '06 4dr short bed Chevy Duramax with the 6 speed Allison and I tend to get 15 around town, 18 on the road and 10.5 towing my 8.5' x 20' race trailer. That's with the cruise control set on 80. My best unloaded was 19.4 mpg. My previous tow vehicle, an '02 8.1 liter Avalanche got 8.5 mpg towing under the same conditions only it didn't pull as well as the diesel. I bought the Chevy because the Fords are too damn noisey and the Dodge is worse.

I like to step on the gas. Last tank around town I went easy and got a little over 16.

7. Triple Nickel

I got yours and I replied to it the same day , I thought it was odd that I didn't hear back from ya........ :confused:
    I had some info for ya , I will try sending it again.:up:

8. gawarrior

hmmm, that is strange. I was wondering why I didn't get a reply from ya....shoot it again...

9. Triple Nickel

10. gawarrior

got it tony....

11. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Stock truck - daily driver. Not many trailer trips - they'd be open air flat bed if so. More along the lines of quad or racebike in bed of truck or a Supermotard (CRF250) on MotoTote across the back. Milage is some 2+ hour trips, but mostly commuting inlcuding in-town stuff (kids to/from daycare and Columbus OH gridlock).

I'd like to buy an enclosed trailer, but really don't have a good close location to park it presently. Plus it takes $ I want to spend on other things. Ideally I'd like a trailer that has living quarters and cargo area.

The Diesel Page BBS forum has a lot of discussion about milage and towing on Duramax's. http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/ specifically,
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Kelly

12. Triple Nickel

Talking about tire pressures and the label on my truck that says 80psi ... I found this service bulletin:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : SILVERADO Year : 2006
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V552000 Recall Date : DEC 05, 2005
    Component: EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 32068
    Summary:
    CERTAIN TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 110, "TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS.” THESE VEHICLES WERE SHIPPED WITH TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION LABELS LISTING AN INACCCURATE VEHICLE CAPACITY WEIGHT.
    Consequence:
    A MISPRINTED LABEL COULD LEAD TO IMPROPER VEHICLE LOADING SPECIFICATIONS OR TIRE INFLATION WHICH COULD RESULT IN A TIRE FAILURE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    OWNERS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH CORRECTED LABELS AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. AT THE CUSTOMER’S OPTION, A DEALER CAN INSTALL THE LABEL FOR THEM. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 31, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, HUMMER AT 1-800-732-5493, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876, OR ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727.
    Notes:
    GM RECALL NO. 05109. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

:confused:

13. gawarrior

that is interesting Tony. The owner's manual should have the right specs. Plus you can use what the tires says too. I know 60 is ok on those tires so that is what I put in mine...plus that is a high as my gauge went, lol.

14. Triple Nickel

I didn't have a guage that went higher than 60psi either so I rolled with 55.
    I later used a HD gauge here at work and filled them to 55 and 80.
    The tires do say 80psi on them so who knows. Just thought I would share that service bulletin info with people on here.:beer:
    I came up empty on any big TSB's though.

15. gawarrior

They will be fine at 80. They are E rated tires.

what is TSB?

16. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

TSB= tech service bulliten. things that are known problems and fixes for them, not recalls but like a step below kinda thing.

17. RPatch

RPatch Well-Known Member

Technical service bulletin.

18. gawarrior

ah ha, thanks.

19. Triple Nickel

Yep , what they said.:up: