1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford diesel vs. Chevy Diesel...better mileage??

Discussion in 'General' started by gawarrior, May 26, 2006.

1. gawarrior

gawarrior Well-Known Member

Ok, after going to Jennings this past weekend and getting a whooppping 6 miles to the gallon in my Dodge 1500 hauling the trailer I think i need to start looking at a diesel truck. I like the Fords and Chevy's and saw that AKin Ford is having a HUGE sale on Fords this weekend. I just wanted to get some input if one gets better mileage when hauling a load than the other one. All other things being pretty equal that will sway me one way or the other.

thanks!

2. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Not positive, but would bet after reprogamming either, going to be real close and come down to personal preference. I've always been partial to Chevy, but on that note, the Powerstroke is one of the few Ford's I could consider owning.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're both close enough to not matter. Don't believe the 20-25 mpg claims, it can be done but not on a regular basis. I get 15+ all day long towing whatever I want at 80 over hill over dale.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - just get the one you like best. Dodge's diesel is nice too. I prefer the Ford for me, then the Dodge and then the Chevy. Others prefer the Chevy because it's a lot more car like inside.

5. gawarrior

sean, you have the ford, right?

I was thinking they must be close. If they are that close I will probably go with the Ford. I know them a little better and looks like a great deal can be had on them right now:)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, I've had 3 Powerstrokes since they first came out in 94, one Dodge diesel, one Dodge 1500, and on Chevy 1500. Keep coming back to the Fords. I'm not going to bother switching brands again unless they use the F150 interior next time I buy a truck :D

7. gawarrior

yeah true. I like my dodge but I like the fords too. Something about the Dodge Mega cab doesn't look right though, so I am leaning towards the Ford. And I like the feel of a truck so I guess I better stay away from teh chevy:D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The mega cab loses way too much bed for me for a truck truck. We got an F150 for WERA last month with the 5.5' bed and it's great for what we need it for but I can't live with a shortbed, tried it on the Dodge and Chevy 1500's.

9. gawarrior

Ok cool. I may have to see what Akin Ford will give me for my dodge on a trade. I may be getting a new truck this weekend:D Bad thing is that my dodge is just about paid off:( but 6 miles per gallon pulling my trailer just ain't cutting it!

10. gawarrior

Yeah, I think I will go with a longbed myself this time. Shortbed is ok but the long bed is much more useful.

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i love my ford, and if you keep the speed down on the hwy you can see big gains in mpg, 20mpg is certainly possible. mine - i get around 13 city - but then again, mine isnt small, lol

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

9+ miles more per gallon will add up pretty quick. Especially doing any significant pulling. Still would think you should do better when you're not pulling also.

13. Ogre66

Ogre66 Well-Known Member

I love my ford. I get about 16mpg around town and 20 on the highway not towing anything and got 10.5 towing the 5th wheel trailer down to JGP. I do have a programmer installed and it definitely did help the gas mileage. I looked at all 3. I simply don't like the chevy/gm interior, it was just like my Tahoe and I had had enough of the quirks in that. Also the towing capacity was not up to what I needed. The dodge is a nice truck and I would have looked at it more seriously except that the towing capacity was again too low for what I needed. Also I was not impressed with some of the interior options available or not available on the dodge. This is my everyday driver and I have to occassionally take clients out to lunch and such in it and need a nicer interior. That pretty much narrowed it down to the Ford. Just my opinion, YMMV.

14. gawarrior

Yeah it will. Although during the warm months I actually ride my streetbike to work and don't drive my truck much except when hauling the bikes somewhere.

My dodge only gets 15 mpg now on it's best day hauling nothing.

15. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Mongo- What programmer do you have in your Powerstroke? Your mileage souns lots better than my 03?

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Sean does your truck have a programmer?

A friend of mine has a chevy duramax (4 door). The last time we took it, it got about 3 or 4 mpg pulling a 26' toy hauler but we had a pretty stiff head wind. On another trip pulling an inclosed trailer we got about 11 or 12. That was running between 70-75mph. I think a big factor is how quickly you accelerate too.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My 99 7.3 6spd with a mild Jet chip in it pulling a 48' gooseneck at about 32k total weight got 11mpg at my normal speeds. Without the chip it got 7. I used a LOT of fuel getting to speed and keeping up my speed on hills obviously.

Right now I have the 6.0 with the Edge/Attitude combo, bigger exhaust too. I've only towed my flatbed to KY a couple of time and a 7x12 enclosed V nose to Chicago and back so I don't have a lot of data but I didn't change my lead foot style for any of the trips and only noticed a minor drop in mpg from empty. I did run just the truck out to Kali and back with the cap on it and got 17-18 hauling ass.

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

He would also get better gas mileage, but he likes to see how much of a black cloud he can create from standing still everytime I have been in that truck.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who me? :D It's cool huh?

20. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Just a reminder............

I can get X-Plan for anyone if he/she needs it to buy a Ford.