1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

FFS.... i've bought running, driving cars for less than one of those tires......:eek:

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Protagonists for Michelin and Pirelli, but where are the Bridgestone and Dunlop peeps?
    :confused:

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Brand D OE on a high performance German vehicle? And remember Pirelli has a car tire factory 2 hours from Stuttgart

4. fastfreddie

OE tires as a replacement on a performance car?
    That's like a Southerner using instant grits! It's just not done, let alone acceptable. :crackup:

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

If you only knew what the process was to get the OE fitment but still have to offer other options for the vehicle:D

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just to throw this thread off track.....Any one ever heard of Semperit tires. I bought a set back in the 70's and put them on the Pinto station wagon I had. My first set of radials. They transformed that piece of Sh*t car. I have to admit I hooned the living hell out of it. Got 80,000 miles on them and they were great in all conditions. I always wondered what happened to that brand.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Horsepower, probably.

8. fastfreddie

It seems as if, by your way of thinking, we should stay with the OE tires on our sportbikes, too?
    I'm not seeing much of a difference in my approach to car tires. ?

9. Thanks for all the effort and details, it is very much appreciated. :beer:

10. No way :crackup:

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Again if you understood the process then you make look at it differently

BigBird likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Beer no, but cash sent to northern Michigan then yes!!

13. fastfreddie

Can you give a short explanation or is my familiarity with wheel/tire dimensions and the related suspension/alignment/clearance parameters not gonna be sufficient to understand your words?
    If you're eluding to tire construction and compounds, I find that subjective to the manufacturer's desires. I may not want their opinion as a mandate for selection of my tire choice. In the cases of our 'Vette and Mazda, the original tires were not gonna suffice and they were swapped out for a better compliment to their usage.

14. On motorcycles, the OEM tire variant is shit. That’s one of the ways they cut costs.

You can replace it with the exact same tire (aftermarket, non-OEM) and get a better tire.

I don’t know if the same applies to vehicles.

According to Pirelli and Porsche, they spent a lot of time developing the P Zero Corsa tires specifically for the Turbo GT.

Now what that means, I have absolutely no idea. It could just be marketing bullshit.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It has been my experience that it often depends on the car and the driver preference. The Pirelli's that came on the truck were horrendous until the warmed up and the flat spot form being parked reshaped itself. The Toyo Proxis that I run on it now are a little noisier than the Pirelli's but never giggle me around when it has been parked for a week or two. The wife hated that same tire on her S60R. It droned in the cabin at highway speeds. Everything else in the drive has Michelins of some sort on them. Cup 2's on the beetle, Pilot 4s on the IS-F and an all season variety on theXC60R . The OEM tire is a safe play as they often do tune to the tire if they aren't designing the tire for that vehicle.

16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Every car I had was better with aftermarket tires :)
    Wife has Pirrelli on her Audi, can't wait to replace them. Way to noisy like Venom say they suck when cold.
    On my Mustang I have Yoko advan apex V601 for street tire and so far they are good. Even used them for one session on the track in cold morning.
    Michelins are overpriced, I rather use 200 rated track tires :)

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Fyi the Supercorsas OE tires on many applications are bad ass.

Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Short no and I'm on my 3rd beer. But there's so much into it, and I'll leave it until an OEM vehicle manufacturer tire/wheel engineer chimes in

19. fastfreddie

For the sake of barstool conversation then, is it enough that a car owner knows how NOT to screw up scrub radii or induce clearance issues when fitting alternative size wheels/tires while selecting a tire/wheel combination that better suits their purposes?

20. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

1988. Bought a 1972 Rally Nova to use as a winter driver. A little rough in the quarters but solid and a good runner! $125.00 from a friend of a friend. Drove for 2 NY winters, then sold it for $250 !

Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.