1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hold a grain of sand at arms length......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 11, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Drinking early today eh?

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

edited, haven’t had my coffee yet

but why do you say that exactly

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Dafuq am I gonna do with a telescope trying to look at a fucking phone screen? :Poke:

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You could always take a picture of uranus with your phone...

5. pickled egg

You must be an ass tronomer.

CBRRRRR999 and gixxernaut like this.
  6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

This is the first time I recall being made aware of that ratio. But after giving it a little thought it makes sense that it takes a solar system with a ratio like that to be conducive to life, or at least life as we know it requiring liquid water and protection from solar radiation. If (say) Jupiter and Saturn collectively were closer to 20% of the mass of the sun they would drag the sun around a lot more as they orbit. The sun would be much more likely to eat the innermost planets that might otherwise be in the goldilocks zone. They'd also stand a much better chance of disrupting the orbits of each other as well as the rest of the planets in the solar system, creating a "3 Body Problem" that would likely end up destroying all other planets in the system through collisions.

mpusch likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

A long time ago I was bored and figured out what the solar system would look like if the ball shaped top of Reunion Tower in Dallas was the sun to scale. I forget now what the diameter of the ball is, but in a 'to scale' solar system, the orbits of Neptune and Pluto crossed over into Oklahoma. Proximal Centaur would be pretty darn close where the moon is.

I think I posted about it on here. I'll ninja edit if I can find it.

Here it is, but the image links have expired. And apparently Proxima Centauri is only 1/3 the distance to the moon,to scale.
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/odd-ball-picture-of-the-day.318465/page-186#post-5029323

mpusch likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

All you conspiracy people are leaving out the guy that has astral projected to those other planets ....

Senna and fastfreddie like this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I am human, I think. ;)

It's apparent that you have a level of knowledge that has brought you an affinity for this topic.
    I'm not knowledgable enough to make constructive counterpoints on the topic, so as not to be disrespectful, I'll just butt out with my bottom line - no human knows.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Klingons. Ya might wanna know they passed through without incident.

11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The Fermi Paradox, or as I like to call it, the Where Da Fuk Everyone At Paradox, is really interesting.

Sometimes I think maybe it is all a simulation and the higher powers at play made the universe impossibly complex to fully understand - the worst puzzle ever. The cosmic equivalent of TV static, so you could never look out the snow globe, so to speak.

12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Time is the component most people cannot truly grasp in the discussion about detecting ET. There could have been millions of civilizations rise and fall without ever overlapping each other's ability to detect or connect with each other.
    Time and distance limitations are common explanations to explain the Fermi paradox.

tophyr and Robin172 like this.
  13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Regarding time, another intriguing possible solution to the Fermi paradox is that the conditions necessary for intelligent life to form didn't exist until relatively recently. In the early universe there was mostly hydrogen and helium. Carbon and other heavier elements simply did not exist. These elements were forged over billions of years in the hearts of stars, then blasted out into the universe through supernovae to re-assemble into newer stellar systems that included rocky planets. It is likely that our sun is a "3rd generation" star and it took the first 7-8 billion years of the universe's existence for much of the material in our solar system to become available. Since it took approximately 4.5 billion years for that to result in a solar system with intelligent (technological) life on it, it could be that we literally are among the first inhabitants of the universe capable of these discoveries. If this is the case the galaxy (and universe) could be budding all over with youngling civilizations.

Of course a simpler (and perhaps more likely) solution to the Fermi Paradox is that once a civilization becomes technically advanced enough to develop nukes they end up blowing themselves up before they get smart enough not to do so.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  14. sheepofblue

With white mice in charge?

fastfreddie and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

You’re right about the elements it takes. It requires 3 generations of star formations to create the elements necessary for life…. Now that time frame in reference to the initial cosmological inflationary period to the heat death could vary from galaxy to galaxy…..

Also it does not take into account emergent biological mechanical intelligence. You should see the things they are finding out about ant behavior. intelligence can come into being in a variety of ways theoretically and practically. Especially given that physics is currently pointing to consciousness itself as a fundamental property/substrate of the universe to which life is just a conduit. there’s some intresting lectures by roger penrose and Stuart hammeroff regarding the ORK OR theory of consciousness that is gaining traction on the back of the discovery that many life forms utilize quantum mechanics in biology on the macro level.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Also…. We think of consciousness as something unique to humans which is not true… all life forms display at least minsculebforms of protoconciousness all the way down to parameciums which have no brain or eyes and yet clearly exhibit behavioral patterns. According to ork or theory our brains utilize the collapse of the wave function and entanglement to simultaneously live in the future and the present, in order for us to have have our sense of perception and pattern recognition. The past & entropy being our biological drivers. It stands to reason that if this turns out to be proven… given where we are headed in regards to theory… truly advanced species would be able to break free of the physical realm in the same way it’s described in the movie intestellar. Space and time would mean nothing in terms of their binding to it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  17. pickled egg

Why you gotta bring race into it? :Poke:

CBRRRRR999 and sheepofblue like this.
  18. sheepofblue

You missed it I think. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It's REALLY nerdy, but check this out: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/90wwwiyf6f

This is a graph I made, years ago, showing the gravitational potential energy of the solar system relative to being positioned on the surface of the Sun. In effect, it's a 2d representation of the shape of the various "gravity wells" in the Solar System. At the left near zero, you can see a very very steep slope coming up and then (nearly) leveling off as you go off to the right. If you turn on more of the equation rows on the left side, you'll see some vertical lines pop up in the graph. Zoom in enough on the graph line where it intersects those verticals, and you'll see dips in the line - those represent the gravity wells of the planets. You can see Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, etc etc etc. You'll have to zoom out to see all of the vertical lines. It blew my mind to graph this out and visualize it and see just how friggin insanely tiny, and far apart, all of the planets are compared to the absolutely ginormous well of the Sun.

gixxernaut and cortezmachine like this.
  20. pickled egg

Oh I got it, I have been known to swill intergalactic gargleblasters once or twice ;)