Global Supply Chain / Parts Shortages

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I work for a major appliance manufacturer, enough said. From chips to plastic resin, to foam to whatever else. It’s been a crazy run that’s for sure. It’s cost us a metric shit ton of money, to the point my bonus is going to suffer big time.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I can’t find my bearings.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

https://www.everstream.ai/risk-center/shortage-of-natural-rubber-report/

Rising likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

1st world problems: I ordered a Jeep Wrangler. It's built but no drivers available to deliver it, no ETA either...

5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but you guys just opened a kick ass new store here in MD. My GF really wants a modular helmet, but she basically has a child’s size head and it’s impossible to find a place with any stock so that she can try some on. The new store looks to have an awesome selection.

Thanks man!

FourThreeSix likes this.
  6. I work in the oilfield, and I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in availability of parts, lead times, etc. with anything.

But it’s hard to really notice a difference when shit takes for fucking ever anyway. But most of that is due to International shipping and Customs bullshit.

The oilfield has been in a recession for the past 7 years or so, but it’s been coming out of it the past 8-9 months or so.

cav115 and crashman like this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You talking about Cycle Gear in Laurel?

I went there and was kind of impressed with their inventory as well.

Friendly Team of associates helping Customers, too.

FourThreeSix likes this.
  8. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Working in the PLC/automation/controls industry. It’s really hard planning projects with automation part lead times all over the place. I recently had a quote for some parts from our vendor with some Allen Bradley I/O modules 5 months out. Some HMIs they won’t even give lead times.

On another note, I stopped at a Toyota dealer yesterday to look into a new Tacoma. Of course the lot is empty, and he said Toyota won’t take orders at this time, you just get what the factory sends.

9. Major

Major Well-Known Member

and now comes the holidays, imminent shit storm.

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm in automotive tooling. We're still insanely swamped with orders into next year, but so far not a lot of big hurdles except material (Aluminum specifically) shortage, and availability. Not sure if it's a material shortage, or employee shortage, but sitting around waiting for trucks of material that don't show or only show up with half an order is getting tiresome. Just had an order short filled yesterday. Ordered a big sheet of 1/2" tooling plate for a gauge, and they shipped a small 3x8" piece of it with other parts of the order. Standing there looking at it with the boss while they unloaded the truck and I asked him if he ordered it in CM, inches or feet lol. Guess they figured since they couldn't get the big sheet a small chunck would hold us over?

I couldn't imagine trying to schedule a production facility around this availability. We're pretty flexible, and mostly do one offs, so if material for one part doesn't show for a few days I can shift to another pretty fast. Now is a time to be flexible.

Buckle up fellas, it's going to get worse before it gets better IMO.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am seeing about 30 days additional on lead times for alot of stuff. Some of that has to do with our broke dick procurement people "working" from home though...

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

No, there’s a new CG superstore in Glen Burnie. We finally have a legit place in MD with a huge selection and inventory. All of my riding pals have spent a ton of many there the last few days. Hope to get in there soon to drop some of my own.

FourThreeSix likes this.
  13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The cell and satellite modems we use for data comms were 30 days turn around last month. Now they are 120 days. I'm going to break MS Project with how many times I have to change timelines on projects and there might be a hit out on me from end user project managers. Period of Performance extension please! If I had a dollar for every time I said that this year to military contractors.

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Order your Christmas gifts now and you MIGHT get them in time for the kiddos to open on Dec. 25th.

GM GIXXER, Montoya and jrsamples like this.
  15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I work in collision repair so parts are the bread and butter of my industry. But we have a lot of trouble getting things since Covid. Cycle times for vehicle input output have increased pretty drastically. But the funny thing is is that the insurance companies are still expecting us to get vehicles done without excuse Even when somethings not available nationwide. We are calling junkyards in the middle of nowhere to try and track down parts sometimes. The other day I had to repair a lift gate on cx5 that was fucking MANGLED because there was nothing available. I’m extremely hesitant to put Anything but small amounts of filler on lift gates because they’re constantly being opened and closed with force and can cause it to crack. So yeah...

I don’t see it getting any better. The increased demand is increasing pricing and once that goes up it don’t go back down.

I also have a hard time gettting nitrile gloves in large. Which sucks because I hate working without gloves.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

No kidding? I'll have to check that place out.

FourThreeSix likes this.
  17. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Commercial Construction here in NY, lead times on items is insane. HVAC units 13-14 weeks out

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Luckily there are plenty of people who can make more :D

crashman likes this.
  19. My wife has been working from home (instead of Copenhagen) for the past 18 months.

It’s nice having her home, but her work ethic is too much. She never stops. At least when she was in the office she would leave it there.

FastByKids and crashman like this.
  20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So what's the real reason for the shortages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.