1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluorescent Lights Question

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jan 3, 2021.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Have a 4’ two light shop fixture in the laundry room, and about a month ago it showed all the symptoms of a ballast dying. Replaced the ballast (it looked to be old as shit so guessing the original - house is from 1988) and it worked for a few weeks. Last week the same issue happened, and so now I’m wondering what the eff is going on.

For some context, the electrical in this house has always struck me as a little wonky - hard wired timers never seem to last, etc. Also, it seems like there’s a sizable delay (a few seconds) from when I turn on the light in the foyer to when it lights up (I believe it’s the same circuit as the laundry room).

Any ideas what the cause could be?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Your place is haunted, best to just move. :D

R Acree, sheepofblue, Gino230 and 3 others like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

H’aint haunted.

I suspect you replaced a T12 ballast with a T8 ballast.

Are the lamps as fat as your cock, or fatter? ;)

T8 lamps are about 3/4” diameter while T12 are about 1-1/4”. They don’t use the same ballasts and they will behave really fucked up when they’re mixed and matched (get ready for strobing headaches).

Best solution is to replace the lamps with triple mode LED lamps, bypass the ballast and wire the tombstones to line voltage.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

BigBird, Sabre699, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

As ballast have been going out in my shop I replace the bulbs with LED
    Way brighter and should be way less trouble in the long run

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I wish I made that mistake, but years of growing grass indoors makes me somewhat of an expert in lighting - just confirmed and it’s T12 on both (and the ballast is rated for 2 bulbs).

Doing some Googling and it seems like there’s probably feedback in my neutral (would explain some of the other wonky shit that happens like timers crapping out quickly, etc.). Have zero interest in trying to fix the root problem so really just curious of what the best replacement fixture would be - would those triple mode LEDs be able to handle a neutral with some feedback?

7. pickled egg

Neutral issues cause all sorts of wonky shit.

If you’re comfortable enough, pull your panel cover and meter and clean/torque your terminal connections. If you have aluminum service feeders, make damn sure you use an antioxidant.

Then make sure you have a good bond to your grounding electrode as well.

If after that you’re still getting weird problems, call the utility to come and check your connections at the riser and the pole.

jkraft, SuddenBraking and beac83 like this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Smokin' dope ain't gonna get 'er done Phil. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I did that with half the lights in my shop. Now, 18 months later all of the LED bulbs have crapped out and only the fluorescent still work...
    So much for them lasting forever.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My fluorescent lights in my basement were going a bit wonky as well, they're old and figured the ballasts were getting long in the tooth. I can't remember if it happened more often in the winter or in the summer, I want to say the winter?

Anyway, I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs I got from Costco. Not a single problem since....been going for about a year and change now.

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Replace whole fixture with LED, not just bulb.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I replaced all of my 8ft 2 bulb fluorescents with 4ft LEDs. Much brighter and way easier to mount .

Red Fox Racing likes this.
  13. pickled egg

I never recommend this.

If a lamp fails, you throw in a new lamp. If a fixture fails, you’re back to square one shopping for a replacement fixture — and if you have multiple fixtures, you’ll never find the exact same fixture.

4’ bi-pin tubes are ubiquitous and will always be available.

beac83 likes this.
  14. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Sorry Im with TWF2 on this. Just replaced son in laws garage fluorescent units with the new thin LED units (not bulbs) much more light and much better looking. We have these same units in our safe room and are going to replace our garages lights with these same units.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Um sure. $167 for a 10 pack vs $104 for 1 4 bulb fixture

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748YTDMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metalux-HB...tual-48-44-in-x-2-47-in-x-19-53-in/1000111363

16. pickled egg

Psst — he already had a fluorescent fixture, he doesn’t need to buy one. Just LED tri-mode lamps, which I get for about $6/ea for 15W.

And a high bay fixture is what you install in a 16-24’ ceiling height warehouse, not a 7.5’ high basement.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Psst my ceilings are 12 ft
    So in order to change a ballast you are going need to have what a 20ft A Frame ladder or rent a lift to change bulbs or ballast ?
    I bought 3} 10 packs of the same type when I only needed 12 lights total.
    If they go bad, which they have not in 2 years I toss and replace.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Please video you opening a 20' ladder in a 12' room.

TurboBlew, stickboy274 and turner38 like this.
  19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Read much ?

Psst — he already had a fluorescent fixture, he doesn’t need to buy one. Just LED tri-mode lamps, which I get for about $6/ea for 15W.

And a high bay fixture is what you install in a 16-24’ ceiling height warehouse, not a 7.5’ high basement.

20. pickled egg

Hey @racree, you wanted to see the kinder, gentler egg?

Psst — we weren’t talking about you.

And psst psst — best practice is to deballast for tri-mode lamps retrofits. So there’s no needing a 20’ ladder to replace a ballast after LED retrofitting a fixture.

Last, but certainly not least...yay! You win!

And Huffy is the only kind of bicycle anyone should ever own. :moon:

Mud Whistle likes this.