1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel owners

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Sep 24, 2020.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

for emissions on the gm dmax, you are talking 2016 and previous. the newer L5p has encryption in the ecu, only recently have they figured out how to hack it. at this point it is 3-4000 (yes, thousand) to delete a 2017+ dmax. i wish someone would figure out how to get rid of the DEF fluid system without causing lights and warnings, on the dash, for a reasonable cost. i would do that. Ski

roy826ex likes this.
  2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Nothing on my truck is made in China. Assembly was Flint MI try again

3. roy826ex

Makes me even more happier that I have the last year LML. Yea the CP4 is a disaster waiting to happen or maybe not. Close friend has a 15 GMc Denali Lml with 290k on it all stock not deleted and never had any issues with it. Uses it to pull big shrimp boats down in LA.

4. roy826ex

Tim big tires are your problem. Go back stock, not as cool looking but the truck will perform better as it was designed. My truck looks like grandpas rig off the lot. I prefer it that way and it still fits in the garage stock.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so your speedo is WAY off.. the wheels rotate slower now that with the stock tires, and you are registering fewer miles than you are actually going (as well as less mph obviously). This is a big factor i suspect in your low mpg readings. Use free speedometer ap to see how much difference in actual mph you are going. i know this can be recalibrated with some tuners, but check it.

Ducti89 and tony 340 like this.
  6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If the truck has 20" rims stock, the original tires are 33's so 35's aren't too much bigger.

go here for actual calculations. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i had 32" tires on my ford f150, went to 33" BF goodrich TA2's .. same on my Excursion. The one size larger tires just make the truck look better, fills in the wheel wells a bit more I thought.
    Both over 2+ mph off.. this wasn't using a googled calculation table, this was actual readout on the dash speedometer, and a cell phone app and google mapps using GPS that show actual ground speed. 33's to 35's will be even more.

8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

my 17 sierra 2500 had 20" wheels and close to 33'' tires stock, speedo showed -1 mph of actual gps speed. went to 34.1" (one size up) speedo now reads +2 of actual gps speed. i would say 35" tires are your big issue with mileage. Ski

Ducti89 and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Dude, you have no idea...or should I say, no clue.

t11ravis and tony 340 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously people, I'm working a race...

roy826ex likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

It's sad that you actually believe that.

I think what you quoted went completely over your head.

China had smog so bad during the Olympics they were changing event times for the runners.

We started putting CAT converters on cars 50 years ago for a reason.

Paying money to fuck up the environment when you already had an emissions system in place is the most ass backward thing I've ever heard of.

Best thing for your diesel pickups to not let it sit and idle. I have over 100k on my newest Cummins and it gives me no problems at all.....but like I said before....I left it alone.

t11ravis and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahem. I really am trying like hell to be nice here people....

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

It’s all to common in all aspects of diesel applications. We as humans revert to what we know. Just like when that evil fuel injection replaced carburetors. We (royal) reverted to carbs because we couldn’t fix the efi.
    There are reasons SCR systems are an expensive PIA to delete. Because engineers, lawyers, compliance manager all know people like Roy exist. Unfortunately for the manufacturers, they are legally responsible for the emissions output of their application.

Learn how to use the engine properly

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Bulletproofed 6.0 F250 for the win! Whats DAF? lol

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Why start now?

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

roy826ex likes this.
  17. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Can’t avoid a good diesel thread. I’m planning on PPEI tuning for my emissions-intact 16 Ram 2500 6.7. It’s out of factory warranty by the time I get back to the US next summer, but my next 5 years in the military are all probably going to be in the DC area, so no way could I delete.

roy826ex likes this.
  18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Another vote on wheels. Get back to stock and report back when you can.

roy826ex likes this.
  19. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Oh Idear the Made in America ist made me laugh...
    Dude there is no American auto...every single car sold in America is a global parts car now you have no idea how many components from China are sitting on your Ford Chevy or Fiat.
    I have a 1976 Ford highboy 4x4 pickup and a 1978 Econoline van with a 100 h.p / 300 lb tq 4.9 straight 6 300 c u w 217k miles on the original engine...that's American ..lol yes there worn out...but they still start and they still run.
    I have a 03 7.3 powerstrike PreRunner style E350 Moto/Adventure van.
    It's likely the last diesel vehicle Ill ever own, I'm over it...
    Its okay all but this generation is noisy it stinks and it's noisy and it's noisy you can't hear yourself think..... lol
    I compare it to a Harley-Davidson it's a perfect analogy slow lumbering loud but kind of fun , kind of manly in a machinery way.
    I think when people talk about 100k to 200k miles is kind of silly I have have three Toyotas that have easily gone that far and with zero and I mean almost zero maintenance problems ever....
    If you're talking diesel I think you should be talking 350000 to 500000 mileage goals.... 200000 is status quo for just about anything these days. Obviously if you're towing heavy vehicles for that amount of mileage or it's worked in a commercial application then yes that's respectable mileage but most people I know only tow a trailer 5-12 times a year that's it
    I don't have anywhere near the smog equipment that the newer ones have it's a nightmare my van is almost impossible to work on without dropping the motor anyways I couldn't imagine more smog equipment.
    I seen quite a few people with the tuners and everything on these or the next gen 6.0. I have two friends that have those and it's just a horrible fucking nightmare for them they're working guys each one is had to put over $15,000 into their engines just to make it reliable.... No excuse for that.
    Working on that 7.3 is like maintaining a B-52 is oil leaks everywhere constant constant maintenance that's why I won't get another diesel they may be reliable in the long run but the level of maintenance and the expense required to keep them there it's just detrimental and I don't need a diesel for towing or anyting.
    I will say one thing now the new diesels released the last year or so or truly impressive machines power-wise 400 + horsepower and over 1000 lb of torque that's just incredible....but the thought of spending 80 thousand to a hundred grand on a pickup truck is absolutely ludicrous to me.