1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel owners

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Sep 24, 2020.

1. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Does a dpf back exhaust make that much of a difference or should I look into another mod like the banks Berringer tuner with idash?
    Need help with mpg's while towing.

2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Here we go again....

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. vosnick52

I know. Very new to diesels

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

What engine and year?

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

What truck do you have? And most importantly is it still under warranty?

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i just picked up a 2020 F250 6.7L. 1050ft lb torque. no mods needed :) Not a fan of having to add DEF fluid, uses fair amount when towing.. nearly zero when not towing.
    Got 212,000 outa my 2005 6.0L Excursion, off to new owner who loves it.

7. vosnick52

2018 Ford F250 6.7L diesel and yes under warranty.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Depends on what emissions systems it has. I’ve never heard of a SCR only delete which is behind the dpf. I’m guessing this is a dpf only truck and the dpf back exhaust more or less just for looks. Kids these days love lift kits drop hitches and big exhaust tips.

9. vosnick52

Well I have a 7700 lb toyhauler not loaded. When its loaded doing 72-75mph I get 7.5 mpg and its a 6 speed.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Keep it stock till the warranty is up.

I have the same truck.

11. vosnick52

powertrain warranty will end at 100k but we are going to get an extended powertrain warranty to 200k miles.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Delete it ASAP or it will explode and the truck will highside your house.

YamahaRick and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. Once the warranty expires, delete.

Dpf replacements alone are 5-7k cost, cause meanie NOx emissions.

14. Ducti89

Fixed.

MachineR1 and Knotcher like this.
  15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

That is pretty bad mileage even by stock standards.

I deleted my GMC with a year of warranty left. Absolutely no regrets! Only time it saw a shop was emissions related most importantly the DEF system BS.

I didn’t go stupid deleting my truck I like my stock looking truck. No lift kits no big tires just stock down to the Venturi GM tailpipe out the back which I insisted on keeping.

All I had done was removal of the CAT, DPF filter and replaced with a 4” straight off the factory down pipe out the back which bolted on and used stock hangers. In fact none of the things I took off were cut off or any of that simply removed and handed to me. I left the DEF tank on it but none of that works. The EGR system is turned off in the tune so no recirculating soot back through the engine. My oil cleared up after two changes. The tow tune that was installed on the truck was just a 40 HP tune so no heavy black smoke. Yes you’ll smell it idling which I can now let it do all day long with no harm to the truck. It runs good, gets awesome mileage towing or daily driving and it’s not loud. The turbo can now be heard if you mash into it. The whistle it makes sounds cool.

Mileage numbers are all over depending on who’s telling you. But my trucks been deleted 7 months and I’ve toy hauler towed, travelled in it with nothing but the truck and towed small trailers. Daily if I had a daily drive (work from hone) is 19 mpg all city. Towing a 30’ toy hauler it’s 12-13 mph at 70 mph on cruise. Towing my 6x10 open trailer with two bikes it’s 17 mpg. With a bike In the bed it’s 21 mpg at 80 mph. There is no top speed limiter on it anymore and it’ll flat haul the mail up top down the highway and do it very smoothly.

I’m friends locally with a power stroke diesel shop that deleted my truck so my cost was minimal but very much worth it. I would have happily paid 3 times more to have it done.

Truck is a 2016 GMC Duramax.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I did full deletes on my Cummings and Duramax.

Fuel gains were extremely minimal.

I did efi live.

Stay stock until out of warranty.

About the only thing i see i gained was no def and no couple thousand in sensors to replace.

If under warranty, you dint have tbose sensor concerns

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

something has to be wrong... my 8.5x24 with higher roof race trailer is 10,000 just on the axles.. with another 1000lb tongue weight. I got over 10mpg with my 05 excursion, with ZERO mods. even had stock exhaust. I rented an 18 and a 19 F250 (six speeds) and towed the same trailer. got 10-11mpg highway (8-14 hour drives each time) doing 80mph much of the time.

18. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

All this talk makes me happy that my RV is 18 years old and has a plain old CAT 3126 in it... and my pickup is 20 years old and has a plain old Ford 7.3 in it....

This DEF crap seems like a pain!!!!!

t

19. Ducti89

@vosnick52 what gears do you have in your truck?

20. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Dude I get better mpg in my RV pulling a 7k trailer... and I can take a dump in the RV.

I guess I could take a dump in your truck too..... :D :D :D