1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carbon fiber motorcycle wheels....

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

haha, i treed ya on that one ;)

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

wheel broke, due to the insane levels of grip ;)

MGM, Spooner, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Wheels are wear items. I've seen pictures of BST failures, now Rotobox and aluminum wheels as well.

Who knows if the guy was riding rumble strips/dropping wheels into the dirt.

I dont remember the outcome of why Maxime's wheel failed, but were WSBK teams checking wheels for cracks before each session?

TurboBlew and 418 like this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No idea, but a couple seasons ago WSBK stopped allowing Mg wheels, they only allow Al wheels now. I believe MotoGP still allows Mg.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sometimes elastic deformation.........................yield....................................plastic deformation.....................ultimate failure is the preferred failure mode vs elasticdeformation.yield.ultimatefailure

6. 418

418 Expert #59

With CF is there is no flex. You're either perfectly round or shattered. Like it was said, with CF especially, it's a wear item.

Saying that EDR has been known to make a mountain out of a mole more than once so YMMV.
    Wonder how much of that post is fact vs. speculation.

Anybody out there inspects wheels for structural integrity?

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If I recall correctly Tim Hunts spectacle crash at Road Atl during a GNF years ago was due to a CF rear wheel failure.

When I worked with Mark Henry who owned Double Dog Moto he was into trying to build all sorts of stuff out of CF.
    He was an engineer in materials or something like that. Very smart guy. He said the biggest issue with CF is that cracking is almost always invisible so any type of hard impact (hit the curbing on track, pot hole on road) the only way to really check CF is x-ray or rig test.
    So based on that he believed CF rims were just a disaster waiting to happen.
    If I’m wrong about Tim’s crash it’s still an epic set of shots.... tore the bike completely apart.

Ride safe,
    AAron

46882606-AC45-41BB-9AE2-54BDDEF9DA03.png 9F3D6E2B-3354-400C-8714-FF1FF941D883.png ECA620BA-F9D8-4A40-B9AB-D520AE9599F1.png

Ducti89 and G 97 like this.
  8. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I saw the aftermath first hand. To me, looked like crash caused the break but that's my opinion only, I did not see it happen and was not on track at the time.

EDR crew said it was the wheel failing that caused the crash, others said the 2 guys riding (Both riders in EDR pit) hit each other and the wheel broke because of the crash.

The wheel ended up about 1/4 mile from the crash.

Either way it was rough for one of the guys as he had had multiple back/neck surgeries prior so as precaution he was helo'd out. Other rider was taken away on Ambulance. Not sure extent of any injuries.

turbulence likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know

10. turbulence

that’ll buff out :eek::eek:

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Dudes ride carbon bikes at Red Bull Rampage and huck them off 40 foot cliffs. That being said, I watched a dude destroy an Enve wheel first hand in BC a few years ago. You never know I guess. The catastrophic part of it is what sucks so bad when it does cut loose, but shit man... I've seen cars shred apart spokes on forged wheels numerous times. Nothing is immune.

Also its funny dudes talking about torque here. I've watched 8sec turbo Busas use BSTs. There's no bike on this entire forum making that much power. Some perspective i guess. Hopefully this dude ends up ok though.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I commented on these wheels last August. The M package on the s1000RR comes with them. They're expensive ($6700/set) and they break.
    I saw three broken ones in one day, two fronts and a rear. One of the fronts broke at the bead when a rider thought to cross over the curbing while reentering the track after going moto at NJMP's T5...he was not moving that fast nor did he hit the curb obliquely. The tire immediately deflated but otherwise stayed on the rim. The other two wheels were shattered when a rider missed the chicane at NJMP's T3 and went for a tumble. Those wheels looked like they were hit with shotgun blasts.

turbulence and JCW like this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

P.s. - the RSW250 ones were made by Ferrari. Always thought that was kinda neat.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

At VIR, T9c, I clipped the start of the curbing on the inside with an aluminum wheel - no crash, just a good whack of an impact. That's a fast part of the track and you're heeled over really good. The impact bent the bead wall about 1/4".
    If that had been on an M package BMW, it would have been disastrous.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

+1

There's nothing inherently wrong with carbon. It just has a different failure mode than metal, as others have pointed out - there's no yield and plastic deformation phase, it just breaks. Sometimes only a few strands at a time, again as other have pointed out, making it very hard to visually detect damage.

If you design for and control for this kind of stuff then it's fine. If you don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also if you have two riders that hit each other, you're also gonna have a bad time.

racerx13 likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

such a pompous ass... let me off hand remark the rider is life flighted but "like" my posts and find us on facebook & the #### :rolleyes:

418 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I thought wsbk was more of a cost control measure. I haven't heard of many Mg failures.

18. turbulence

Lol wat? Why are you two attacking the messenger here. There was no mention of Facebook on that post, nor did they come across as pompous. It read to me as a PSA and a cautionary tale.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Customer: "I'm thinking of putting carbon wheels on my trackbike."
    Eric: "Carbon is for flash and is only good for flexing at Starbucks."
    Customer: "I have cash."
    Eric: "Have you seen these dope AF BSTs?"

20. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

BMW have their own issues...

Prospect likes this.