1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You would think they wouldn’t but it appeared to be peak season as we were having to rotate our rentals the whole time because the range was full and most of the rentals were checked out at any given time. So maybe they had become neglected more recently. I don’t know how most ranges work in that capacity as I’m lucky enough to have my own land to shoot on and have only been to public ranges a handful of times. So that’s just a guess.

Man I think I stepped on a bit of hornets nest saying I didn’t like ruger pistols. :D My experience aside, I still believe if they were really that good, their more expensive competition would not sell like it does. Add $200 or less to the price and you’re in the realm of S&W, Glock, Springfield, Sig, and maybe even FN or HK if you find the right deal, which to me all are superior. But if I’m wrong, I’ll likely be one of the only people you see saying this about ruger. And as I said before I would hope anyone would make their first purchase based on collective research, not the opinion of some lone asshole on the WERA board. :D

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ruger revolvers yes.

Ruger rifles yes.

Ruger semiauto handguns? Why?

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Uberti's imported by Cimarron, these are 1st gen colt old model frame, 4 click ,clones chambered for 44 WCF (44-40)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

michaelrc51, Quicktoy and Steeltoe like this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

*Reaches for the Curel Unscented*

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. redtailracing

Man those things are pretty. I’m not much of a revolver guy but I’d love to have an old Colt SAA. Old revolvers are some of the most beautiful guns ever made.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No, it was the rationale involved and the emphatic manner in which it was expressed that elicited the responses. I'm not a "gun guy." I have rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers. I shoot on my own property. But, compared to the avid enthusiasts that post on this thread, I'm merely a novice. But, that does not prevent me from using common sense and logic.

Your Ruger pistol experience was with poorly maintained, abused and over-used items. They functioned poorly. You then decide that all Ruger pistols are shit.

A gun is a tool. Change the tool and apply the same facts. I doubt that you'd be surprised if a race school, for example, failed to maintain their bikes, and beat the shit out of them, that said bikes would handle and function poorly. If said bikes were, for example, Suzuki GSXR's, I doubt that you would conclude, from that experience, that all Suzuki GSXR's are shit. (Insert Suzuki joke for Suzuki lovers . . . you know who you are).

It is your opinion, and you're entitled to it just as I am mine, etc. It seemed a very strong statement (absolute in fact) based upon questionable circumstances (questionable vis-a-vis the conclusion drawn). So, don't be surprised by the reaction - - - after all, this IS the bbs.

BTW - I own a Ruger 9 mm LCP. I like it.

Flame on.

Cheers,

Dave

Britt and Photo like this.
  7. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

.45 Schofield

Attached Files:

Britt likes this.
  8. redtailracing

While I see your point, we ran through a few different abused guns that day and the Rugers just so happen to be the bottom 3. I also know at least a couple other people who echo my sentiment (never mentioned before because it is ultimately just hearsay but it has helped shape my own opinion) and I know one of them for sure loves his Ruger revolvers so it’s not even just a matter of brand hate.

Aside from the failures to cycle, as I said in a previous post, there were also other issues that have far less to do with abuse, such as mag fit and release, grip ergos, triggers, etc.

Sure my post probably came off as a bit absolute and part of that is because I feel like it would be easy to get bit by ruger because it’s such a recognized name and they do make other good guns. But I kinda thought it went without saying that my opinions just like most others - that of some random asshole on the internet.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thank you for your considered response.

May I suggest an alternative conclusion to be drawn from your experience? Perhaps it may be concluded that Ruger semi-automatic pistols are more sensitive to care and maintenance than other makes and models, and if not well maintained, fail to function properly more readily than others?

Cheers,

Dave

Britt likes this.
  10. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of us respect your opinion. I d0 not take offence about your opinion on rugers. I bought a lg flat screen tv when they first came out probably the worst tv I ever owned broke a month after the warranty ran out. Even though I know lg makes a very good tv I still cant get myself to buy another one.lol I can understand .

11. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've thought about it, but those competition guns are so much easier to shoot fast. The other day when I was at the range I did some practice runs of 3-4 shots fired really fast. I was sort of all over the place. But you look at the really good pros using competition custom made guns and they can shoot several shots in like a second, all being inside a 4" group from like 10 yards. No way in hell they could do that with an off-the-shelf Beretta 92 (the gun I was using). I know a lot of it is obviously the skill of the shooter, like with any other sport, but the gun helps a ton in that case. I'm pretty confident I could do much better in a similar practice run with something like a Sig X-5 Legion, or CZ Shadow 2, or a 92X Performance, or some other gun designed mainly for competition.

I may do what you said and just use what I have, but pistols are my weak point right now, and so if I can improve on that by getting a much better gun, it may be worth it. Plus I just like them and I really just want to have a fancy pistol :D Same reason I want a Ducati V4 even though I'd probably be faster on a ZX6R or R6 lol

12. sbk1198

I've been waiting on my LG to die so I have an excuse to upgrade. Still freakin going and it's coming up on 9 years.

Photo likes this.
  13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My daughter's boyfriend has a smallish Kahr 9mm. It is pleasant to shoot. We'll see about long term reliability. He replaced a similar sized Ruger 9mm. That particular gun was a remarkably unpleasant firearm. I couldn't tell you any specific model names because plastic guns make me angry and I didn't bother to find out. I'm not bashing Ruger. I'm pleased with both of my Mini 14s.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

From reading this I'd wager there is plenty of speed and accuracy left in the tank of the Beretta and it's probably more of the shooter, but get the gun you want and some ammo and go practice. A shot timer is nice to be able to measure your shooting rather than seat of the pants measurements.

15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I can personally attest to rentals with "issues". One handgun I rented had a bullet jam twice while chambering. Beginner, first day ever holding and firing a gun. Hmm. Thankfully, I read up on enough literature (thanks to pew pew tactical) and was able to clear the jam without doing anything stupid. I took the gun back to the rental desk and they took it out of rotation for repair. Like any rentals, they get abused. Magazine springs seemed weak on some of the rentals as I was able to load 10 rounds into those without minor difficulty. Otherwise, I just loaded 5 at a time.

16. redtailracing

I think this is the perfect example to equate it to. For me, I wouldn't think twice about buying LG equipment because it has always struck me as high quality. That said, I completely get where you're coming from and while your experience probably won't deter me altogether from considering LG equipment in the future, there's a good chance I will research any future purchases I may make from them just a little more due to your experience and see if and how many others have had experiences like yours.

Photo likes this.
  17. redtailracing

I wouldn't put too much of what you see pros do on the gun. I've seen Travis Haley damn near pinhole 3 straight shots in under a second with a bone stock G19 from 7 yards. No doubt the guns definitely provide an edge. But I wouldn't expect them to double your times (or I suppose, more accurately, half your times). I'm by no means a pro shooter and have never even entered a competition so I could be way off but based on my experiences of everything I have competed in throughout my life, equipment gets you much less than many people often hope for.

I do definitely get the just outright attraction to a fancy pistol and can't blame you there. God knows I've spent more money than I'll ever be able to count on equipment across all my hobbies that's way more capable than me or was at least made to perform through harsher conditions than I'm capable of putting it through. I'd just caution making a purchase before figuring out exactly what you want. Nothing sucks more than spending an assload of money on some fancy shit only to run into someone that has something you like even more and could have had for equal or maybe even less money. Ask me how I know. :(

sbk1198 likes this.
  18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more. I love to buy new shit but still know there’s way more work to do on me as a shooter , racer , hunter etc. I handle guns of all different types almost daily and once in a while I’ll hold one that just screams Buy Me. Last such gun was a sig X5 legion. That thing fit my hand like a glove and I liked the weight. Knew I was going to buy one. Got to shoot one a couple days later and sadly the honeymoon was over. Don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice gun but I really expected it to redefine my shooting. Silly I know but man that thing felt right. Anyway try it if possible before you buy. And no matter what you buy won’t be that great until you put some serious rounds through it. Practice Practice Practice

19. redtailracing

Ya know, the topics of gun conversations I've been into on here lately are actually starting to amuse me. It's mostly all been about pistols. And the funny thing is I actually hate shooting pistols. o_O I only do it as much as I do because if I'm going to carry, I need to be proficient with it. Shotguns are fun to mix things up with on occasion. But rifles are by far my favorite. Doesn't even matter what kind - bolt, semi, lever, etc. And out of all the time, effort, and money I've spent building some pretty nice guns, my favorite one to shoot is the cheapest one I've ever bought and I haven't done a single modification to it - a Marlin 60 .22LR I bought off an old coworker a few years back for $100. Old wood stock, shitty iron sights, gritty ass trigger. But man, feed that thing CCI mini mags and it runs like a champ. And talk about a challenge to hit anything with at anything over 50 yards. But damn it's fun. It is followed closely in terms of fun by an old milsurp Mauser K98 given to me by my grandfather. Damn thing absolutely kicks you in the teeth with every trigger pull but the action on it is the most organic thing I've ever felt while shooting and something about it just makes me giggle every time I pull it out. Also bone stock, irons and all. Unfortunately it doesn't come out that often as it costs about $2 per trigger pull. :eek:

20. sbk1198

I have no doubt a pro shooter could do much better with my gun, but I have no doubt he can do much better with a "race gun" than he can with my gun.

I'm not at the level where I'm chasing tenths of a second while shooting fast. I'm at the point where I just want to hit the damn targets every time I shoot fast! lol I don't need a shot timer for that, just my eyes and ears lol