1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Oh, no, no, no. Suzukis are excellent training aids...cheap, easy to fix, un-intimidating. It's after the training is over that they become useless, you know, like on the world competition level. :D

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Just because I'm curious, what were they?

3. fastfreddie

Brace yourself...Glock and CZ. :crackup:

4. redtailracing

How many rounds have you put through it? Not saying you're wrong. I just see a lot of guys talk about how great their pistols are only to find out they've barely put a few hundred rounds through it.

I'd also venture to say that your gun is quite meticulously maintained. I could be wrong. But from what I know of your welding work, pictures of bikes you've posted on here (an old BMW comes to mind, IIRC), and your general reputation around here, I feel pretty confident in saying you're somebody that takes care of their shit and pays attention to the details. Not to mention your kid's success as a racer. People/families that ignore the details, don't maintain their shit, etc. don't normally make it that far.

So I wouldn't be surprised if your gun did run well. I maintain my firearms quite meticulously as well (honestly I probably over-clean them at times just because it's kinda therapeutic for me) and if I had a Ruger, I suppose there's a decent chance it would run all the time as well... on the range. My concern though would always be what would happen in a worst case scenario. If I end up in a hand-to-hand combat scenario with a mugger, how likely is the gun to cycle if it gets hung up against my body, his body, a piece of clothing, etc.? We also do a lot of mountain biking, hiking, trail running, and even some back country camping in places all over the country and I always carry. And while rare, bear and mountain lion attacks do happen on occasion. If my pistol gets knocked in the mud and I'm able to retrieve it, will it still cycle? I know these seem like wild, abstract scenarios that we will never face. And chances are that is the case. But why does anyone carry a gun at all? Statistically, the vast majority of gun owners will never have to use them. But we carry anyways just in case. And I want the confidence that my shit will run no matter how extreme the situation.

Ultimately, it's just an opinion. I sincerely hope no one buys a gun purely off what I say. I'll provide my input and I hope maybe in conjunction with lots of additional research it at least provides a sense of direction to those who could use it. But there is also a lot of people in the world with more knowledge and experience than I will ever have. And my hope is that any new gun owner I offer some advice to ultimately goes in search of those individuals and researches what they have to say as well.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

[​IMG]

fastfreddie likes this.
  6. redtailracing

I've always wondered about Kahrs. I don't believe I've ever even seen one at a brick and mortar store before but have stumbled across dozens of them at gun auctions. Also never known anyone who owned one or even knew anything about them. They always just seemed to be these oddball guns that were never on anyone's radar, good or bad.

7. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

PSA is even better when you shop in person. Last time in the Mt. Pleasant store there was .556 kit for $149! It was a mail order return because the optic that came with it was damaged. The next day I was at the Summerville store and they had a table with complete AR-10 & AR15 lowers going for $99. They were listed as cosmetic "blems" but I can't find anything on the one I got.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Whichever one points best for you. At the counter in a store I like to pick up a gun with my eyes closed, point out as if aiming and then open my eyes to see how far off the aim is. The closer it is to my reflexive aim point the better. Brand doesn't matter if you have to make a lot of adjustments to get it to be on target.

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm probably around 600+'ish in this one, rides in my tank bag here unless it is in my back pocket..been wet, muddy, got a package of Acclimate dumped on it along with trail dust, on a trip out West a couple years ago..washed it off in the river...meh..yeah babied life, it doesn't ever see a holster as it has a TechnaClip..
    It gets cleaned and serviced..and used.
    It's not a "Range Gun", it is a Carry Weapon...I have others for plinking and target shooting.
    I have had expensive and have expensive...so far this one works just fine...YRMV.

Photo, sbk1198 and 83BSA like this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@Steeltoe
    You may need another crayola map...

11. fastfreddie

:crackup:
    Yeah, that dig was specifically posted for his viewing pleasure.
    :beer:

Jedb likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Very strange that they were that bad that they wouldn’t cycle more than a few rounds. I’ve never seen a gun do that. Nobody would be able to sell a gun that bad because nobody would buy them. I have to think that something was wrong with those particular guns being range rentals. Maybe they’ve had like 10,000 shitty rounds through them without being cleaned at all or something. Ruger is one of the biggest manufacturers in the US. If most of their guns would fail that much like what you experienced, they wouldn’t be in business anymore.

I still don’t quite know what the guidelines are for cleaning intervals of various types of guns but I’m starting to notice differences in performance when they’re dirty vs cleaned and lubed. For example, my Beretta 92 which comes standard with a 13-lb recoil spring will cycle fine with a 9-lb spring as long as it’s cleaned and lubed. But once it’s dirty after I fire a few mags through it, it won’t cycle anymore and jams after every 2-3 shots.

Any idea of how/where one can try out high end competition hand guns? Ranges I go to don’t typically have $1000+ rentals, they usually just have the more common guns that most people buy. I’ve been looking at a few but if I’m gonna spend that much on a hand gun and use for competition I’d really like to try them out....preferably back-to-back

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have a PM9. Probably put 3-400 rounds thru it. Never any issues at all with defensive loads or hand loads (usually JHP and FMJ). I carry it or my TCP380 when needed. Both IMHO are good to go. Both have had enough rounds down range with no issues that I’m comfortable with either. I’ve got a glock and a couple of FN’s, as well as Taurus, Sig, a Colt, and a variety of other stuff. If I have issues with anything they go away or stay in the safe. I’d like a 365 SAS and might sell the Kahr to replace it but just because I’d like to try something different. But I’ll probably keep the Kahr as it’s about the smallest 9mm on the market, it’s all black and I got the night sights from the factory.
    Kahr/magnum research/thompson make good guns. Love my MLR22AT threaded rifle.

14. redtailracing

If I had to guess, the guns I fired were on the extreme end of abused. Chances are most don’t fail that badly because most people don’t abuse them that badly. The types of people who will put thousands of rounds through their guns often have a bit higher quality firearms and probably take care of them. Ive yet to meet someone who’s put 10k rounds through a Taurus, Ruger, Bersa, etc. that’s not a knock against anyone (hell I probably don’t have more 2k rounds through any one of my pistols), just kinda what I’ve noticed. My guess is the shop didn’t care that much about keeping them maintained because it wasn’t anyone’s personal firearm.

That said, we tried some Smith & Wesson and Glock offerings from the same place with much better results. And I think the other guy’s instructor echoing my sentiment about Ruger is a bit telling.

Again maybe some of their guns are fine and maybe their newer stuff is much better. I just feel like for only slightly more money, you can get an immensely better firearm. For the price if they truly were as good as the more expensive competition, it would be hard to believe that there would be much competition left.

Ultimately if someone wants to buy and carry a ruger, I won’t fault them for it. Everyone has their own opinions. I just simply will never trust my life to one. But I urge any gun owner who carries to practice with whatever they have religiously until it is an extension of their own body. And then keep practicing. It is a perishable skill. I am far from where I’d like to be but I do try. Ultimately a Hi-Point is more deadly in well trained hands than the most Gucci Glock in untrained hands.

Service and maintenance intervals will vary by every gun. And even by owner. For example, ARs like to be wet but you can overlube them (which I frequently do). This will cause dirt, debris, and carbon to cake excessively. However, I clean my guns so religiously it doesn’t really matter. But a good AR can go thousands of rounds with only some occasional light CLP application just fine. Other guns like AKs or a lot of piston guns can go much longer with no attention at all since they don’t shit where they eat. Pistols and .22LR semiauto guns require much more attention. My 1911 especially does not like being neglected. Bolt guns will likely shoot out the barrel before needing cleaning unless you’re constantly throwing it in the dirt. It’s all just very dependent on the gun.

As far as competition guns, I got nothing. I’ve never seen them for rent anywhere, probably because they’re took expensive for a shop to buy just for someone to beat the shit out of them. Honestly I’d suggest just entering a competition with whatever you have. That’s what I intend to do once things start getting going again. I have no desire to be a pro style competitor. I just want the practice under duress. But if you are interested in going down the competition rabbit hole, I’d just go do a few with what you have, befriend some folks and learn from the guys already into it. They can probably help you figure out what you like. I feel like buying an all out comp gun before even entering a competition would be like race prepping a brand new Panigale before having your race license. Sure there are some guys with the disposable income to do that but for most of us that’s probably just not practical, at least not until we’ve been in the game a bit and figured out where we want to invest our money and why.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You over think. I throw mine in the dish washer once a year or after I’ve shot it. It’s clean. It’s a Glock so 3 drops of oil for entire gun inside and out and you’re done.

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

No one makes a better modern day revolver than Ruger. They’re better than Smith, Taurus, everyone. Even their cowboy revolvers are amazing and cheap. I’d carry any Ruger revolver or semi auto. They’re great guns.

DmanSlam, terminus est, 83BSA and 2 others like this.
  17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I was looking for a pocket gun . I had bought the xds45 but that was still a little to big for me to carry in a pocket. My lgs had a kahr cm 9mm .I liked the look and feel of the cm so I bought it . Up to that point the only thing I really knew about kahr is it was owned by the REV Moon's son.lol But the cm was still a little to big as a pocket gun for me. The cm was a good gun so I figured I would try the p380. Never really worked right from the beginning sent it back to the factory . I liked the way it fit into my pocket I liked the way it shot (when working) it just wasn't reliable. Looked at the ruger lcp lgs had it on sale so I bought it . It has been a good gun. I own 4 lcp's (don't ask ) lol And they all go bang when I fire them at the range unfortunately I cant say that about the p380.

18. redtailracing

I agree for some pistols. My VP9 has received the most abuse of any of my guns but I’ve seen more finicky pistols about being clean than those just run no matter what.

Quicktoy likes this.
  19. redtailracing

No argument here on their revolvers or even many of their rifles (I actually own two of those). I think I may have mentioned that previously, it was just a few pages back. I just hate their pistols.

DmanSlam likes this.
  20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm personally dumbfounded as to why any "Range" would rent a firearm that was having "Issues"...clearly it is not in their best interest.

galloway840, DmanSlam and sbk1198 like this.