1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone get that stimulus check yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I figure when a big mac cost 12 trillion dollars we'll just hand them 2 and tell them to be sure and split that 1.8 billion ways.

tl1098 likes this.
  2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

You're correct, but read your table again.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

IMG_E7985.jpg

scottn and Photo like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Exactly a week. I put in the application last week Monday, and it hit my account today.

Apparently my bank is a preferred SBA lender so they make the decisions in-house. I don't know if that's them patting themselves on the back or not, but that's what they told me.

5. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Well that was fast, hoping for similar timing here. Put in for the PPP last Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

So they should have sent my broke ass a check almost a month ago....

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Thanks. Apparently mine just got through the bank process and was submitted this morning... Hoping there's still going to be something left before round 1 runs out.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

We're one of those companies in a weird situation where we're not liquidity constrained so trying to push funding back as far as we can to get maximum forgiveness.

Weird incentive structure they crafted with this bill.

9. SuddenBraking

Future generations are paying for this.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Everyone is paying for this. Your purchasing power has just been reduced.

969, 418 and GRH like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

Tomorrow me is different from today me.

12. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on your strategy of pushing out some for me?

13. SuddenBraking

Sent you a PM.

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

According to the terms of the bill:

500 billion is to fund the loan program to assist struggling industries. Some of that is in the form of loans which would ostensibly have to be paid back.
    100 billion is a grant to health care providers primarily to help offset the lost revenues from delaying elective surgeries and other procedures to focus on the outbreak.
    58 billion directly to airlines, half as loans and half as grants. Half of the money is for continuing to pay employees.
    150 billion is granted to state and local governments to assist with losses as tax revenues plummet due to only essential businesses being open but infrastructure still must be serviced.
    10 billion goes to the Pentagon, partly to cover deployment of the National Guard and vaccine research
    10 billion is a loan to the Postal Service
    25 billion for food stamp assistance
    24 billion for farmers and ranchers
    30 billion for schools (including some colleges and universities)

From what I read it is not clear how much was earmarked for payroll-retention incentives for small business, but considering how much it costs to make payroll each month for the average business, and considering how many small businesses have been shut down due to being considered non-essential one can imagine this number extending into the hundreds of billions very quickly. The bill also provides for $600/month of increased unemployment benefits, something that is likely to skyrocket with unemployment claims rising into the stratosphere.

Other not-so-well-defined amounts were earmarked to: Health Care Insurance companies, unsure of what their losses would be like; Telemedicine assistance; distilleries (especially those who are picking up the slack by providing alcohol for hand sanitizer).

There are also provisions for administrative costs specifically for this package:

I tend to be as cynical as the next person when it comes to stuff like this. It feels like opportunities abound for fraud. The 500 billion line item at the top of the list seems ripe for the plundering.

I guess we shall see what we shall see.

15. SuddenBraking

It was $349 billion to SMBs for payroll retention (with a large part of that forgivable if certain hurdles were met).

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I got a straight 2.5x monthly payroll. Maybe larger companies have other options.

It just seems like moving money around. One of the requirements is that you don't reduce staff. In essence they're just taking the burden off of the unemployment fund and transferring it to the business, then funding it through the back end.

tl1098 and 418 like this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Well... that went off into the ditch pretty quickly.

sanee likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

It's not just payroll - it's also employee benefits, medical, retirement, etc.

But yes, our 4 week average for those costs was about $1.2 million, which (increased by 2.5) resulted in a loan amount of $3 million.

20. SuddenBraking

You should read the bill really carefully. If there were staff reductions, you get forgiveness for them if you bring back employees by a certain time.