1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone get that stimulus check yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been on a roll today, y'all really need to stop the stupid....

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Sorry, guess I may have overreached with the word "parroted." I was referring to the first sentence where you said,
    The portion of the bill you referenced does not use the term "advance," at least in the way this sentence implies. The term is used later to refer to the fact that the payment is being issued in 2020 in advance of the year one would ordinarily file their 2020 tax return (2021).

It works like this: If (as defined in the bill) you're a qualifying taxpayer who gets a $1200 credit, your tax bill for next year will be reduced by an additional $1200 over whatever your normal refund (or amount you owe) would be. That's the "tax credit" part. Then they're going ahead and giving you that $1200 now instead of making you wait until next year to get it (which is where the term "advance" comes from).

It does not effect your AGI for next year; it does not have any net effect on your taxes for next year. It will likely appear as a tax credit line on next year's 1040 that will be offset by the payment you received this year, resulting in a big fat zero.

The bill also makes provisions that keep the IRS from being able to garnish this payment assuming you owe back taxes.

Whether this legislation has the intended effect remains to be seen. I'm skeptical. But at the same time there's a lot of misinformation going around about how it's being handled. Just trying to help with some of these misunderstandings where I can.

ScottyRock155 likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Offset by the 'yuuuuuuge' impact of both incomes disappearing simultaneously for a family that is counting on both to make ends meet.

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah, not the best optics. Separately, I really like her work. Pass on the clothing series, but quite like her still lifes and compositions.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is call your company accountant and your local banker and have a 15 minute call with him/her.

We understand the above about the same way as you do.

I have reduced my pay for the time being. I'm more concerned about keeping my guys employed for now and all the bills paid.

Will bonus out at the end of the year hopefully.

It costs me 15k to train a guy, plus the time hassle of the whole thing.

Figure out what your time is worth. Employee retention has quite the value.

It is just a math game.

YamahaRick likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My kids are 28 and 33, can I still get money for them?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. If you still claim them on your taxes.

8. In Your Corner

My daughter has moved in with me so she can work, that has to be worth something. Her husband was activated
    by the NH National Guard to go and fight the virus somehow and they have 2 dogs and 2 cats and she can't work and
    take care of them alone so I got the daughter and two dogs and we stashed the cats at the wife's apartment. The wife
    has been at my house for a month now since the rules in her building have gotten more Draconian by the day. My cat
    doesn't dig other cats so they can't come to my house.
    I'm Broomish, all of this turmoil disturbs my cosmic equilibrium. I want to be recompensed.

9. In Your Corner

There was better stuff than the cheese.

canned pork and beef.jpg

10. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

11. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Payroll loans are flowing. I know several folks who have received the funds.

13. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Gf just got hers , $1700
    She’s a Copper
    Bazaar ..... im about to be the beta in the house making less than her at this rate

14. In Your Corner

Harper's?

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

So , I guess some guys aren’t coming back .... :crackup::D

tl1098 likes this.
  16. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

No
    She’s a cop, policia , the fuzz , 5-0

17. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I got a bill today from the IRS for $1200. They are expecting me to pay for Metalhead's check.

Metalhead, rd400racer and Bugslayer like this.
  18. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

My check was direct deposited this morning. Basically, getting back the part of the money I had paid in payroll tax.

19. drop

drop Well-Known Member

My bank account was stimulated last night.

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Nope. Only those 17 and under. My son is 21, commutes to college, and I claim him. Just got the deposit this morning. It did not reflect him, just my 16yo.