1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel truck emisson deletes. Whatcha got?

Discussion in 'General' started by 10-15, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I can see how if you were doing DOT work across state lines it could be an issue. It's like the marijuana issue....state law vs feds. Neither state troopers or local PD here care since state law doesn't.......I definitely wouldn't go pulling a big trailer in California though....

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

We had issues with the brodozers here being fuckheads driving 3 wide at 20mph in a 45 zone backing traffic up and other idiocity on Friday and Saturday nights. City PD asked state pd for help. Couple of the brodozers intentionally rolled coal on a couple squads last year. One officer nearly got hit by one while having a ticket signed by another driver during a stop. Cop ended up on the hood of the guys car. Didn't end well for the 16 yr old guy driving the truck.

Basically a repeat of similar issues with the rickey racer crowd 7-8 yrs ago. State came in, couple weeks of heavy handed enforcement and the issues stopped. Has to be done every few years.

For the most part if you aren't being an absolute jackass, the cops leave you alone here. They had a hardon for sportbikes years ago when there were 3-4 different groups of us here. 1 group was absolutely a bunch of squids. Doing wheelies, triple digit runs in traffic, fleeing pd, popping off rev limiters at lights and other crap. Well the rest of us started getting targeted by the pd because of it. Took some time to get them to realize its that group that's causing all the problems. Hell we were telling the pd who the hell the idiot they were chasing past us was when another officer pulled in behind us at the meetup spot. 2 of the groups would get together there and head out into the country for rides. We picked our spots to goof off and it wasn't where everyone could see us or be bothered by us. The other group just wanted attention and didn't care what problems they caused for anyone else on a sportbike.

ducnut likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ok - I hesitate to dive into this bloodbath, since everyone seems to have newer diesels.

‘05 GMC Duramax. Super low miles and bone stock (68k on the clock - old man used it to haul camper to Texas in the fall and back to Wisconsin in the spring).

I have zero interest in hot rodding this thing, however I’ve been doing some research on the LLY Dmax.

Here’s my plan over next few months to make it last and work a little easier.

(1) bigger turbo inlet (stocker is small and restrictive)
    (2) Aftermarket downpipe - lets it breath better
    (3) EGR delete
    (4) towing tune option

Real world input appreciated.

4. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, employees make it more difficult. If that’s the case I’d either pay the $$ to get it fixed or upgrade to a new truck. It sucks but when that shit starts to fail it’ll drain a bank account quick. What’s becoming a bigger issue on the tractor trailer side is a lack of people that understand and can properly diagnose these systems. The company I work for has a fleet of 40 Mack’s ranging from 2013-current. They are tuff to figure out, even the dealer gets lost and has to request help from the factory. One truck is at $20,000 in repairs since February.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Lovin’ those Volvo drivetrains are ya’? :D

6. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

In a word....no

I could see it working well for over the road van or flatbed work. But we haul liquid in a smooth bore tank that isn’t full to the top, that surge and that m-drive don’t get along very well

7. #1StreetRacer

#1StreetRacer Active Member

If you ever plan on trading your truck in make sure you keep the stock parts. Dealers around here will not accept any trades that have had the emissions modified. This is what the owner of a truck repair shop told me.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I-Shift is the best automated transmission I’ve ever driven and miles ahead of anything Eaton. But, I sure wouldn’t put it in front of a tank. Your employer should know better, in a bulk operation.

The worst I’ve hauled is sodium hydroxide (UN 1824). It’s ~18lbs/gal and we’d load ~3K gallons, in a smoothbore. Used to haul food grade one way and that crap the other. Rough.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We’re switching over from dodge and ford 5500/550 trucks to Hino 138’s (?) because they’re supposed to be better built and have some amazing warranty.

10. IIRC, I only had about 15k or so miles on my Duramax when I had multiple DEF sensors fuck up, and I was almost to Jennings (like 500+ miles from home).

It kept throwing DEF alarms, and started giving me the “vehicle speed will be limited on next startup” bullshit....even though the tank was full.

I could have taken it to the dealer and had it fixed, but that wouldn’t prevent it from happening again.

So I got rid of all that bullshit. I went with a 5” ID Turbo-back MBRP exhaust, DPF delete, cold-air induction, an EFI-live tuner, and removed everything for the DEF system (tank and all).

After that, HP and fuel mileage improved, and I didn’t have to bother with the piss water.

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Optimism springs eternal. :D

12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

This thread is exactly why I bought an older diesel. Only thing I had to delete was the EGR cooler.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Jackass. :D

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Well I’m deleting my 2016 Duramax truck tomorrow. After the DEF tank pump went out back in January with only 66k miles on the truck I said screw it I’m just going to go ahead and remove some emissions junk.

So I started educating myself on it and contacted a few shops locally. Tomorrow is the day I drop the truck off at 8 am. They’re removing the CAT and DPF filter and replacing it with a straight pipe. Not looking for huge power gains so the 50 hp tune through EZ Lynk is what will be added. The existing pipe stuff will all be unbolted and removed no cutting. I’ll take it all home with me in case one day current laws change locally. Leaving the DEF tank and all that junk on the truck. EGR for now will be disabled. I may add a lift pump after this. I plan to talk with them about that tomorrow. Probably use AirDog for that.

This truck has been a good one except for the one emissions issue recently. Tired of regens and buying DEF and having to deal with that. We have NO emissions testing or any vehicle inspections here in MS. I’m leaving 13 months left on my factory warranty on the table but I’m just fed up with the system as of right now.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

3bc19x.png

Phl218 and casjoker like this.
  16. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Same truck. SCT 4x, Basic EGR delete, and a Flo-Pro 4 inch with a muffler. Can't remember which tunes are on it.

Of course this is for my offroad only, closed course race truck.

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, would this be the Chevy parts that went bad, or the "better" GMC parts? :crackup: :Poke:

19. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

I have had zero issues with my delete since July of last year when I started this thread. Despite having no muffler the 6.7 power joke is still quiet inside the cab and out at the pipe. I usually run the tune in stock mode without my trailer and tow mode with. Mileage is 18mpg combined. I did try street mode and performance mode once or twice. For canned tunes they are good as the coal roll is minimum. Performance mode is just stupid. A one ton 4x4 with bone stock internals and turbo and stock gearing shouldn't be this quick.:)

20. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Don’t know they didn’t tell me. It was covered by warranty.

Probably a Chevy part since it failed so early.