1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel truck emisson deletes. Whatcha got?

Discussion in 'General' started by 10-15, Jul 20, 2019.

1. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

My 2011 6.7 F-350 just rolled 150,000 miles when I had a CEL pop up. Had my diesel mechanic guy ( works for a Ford dealer during the week) has a shop where he does weekend work, check the code and my EGR cooler was on it's way out.

Decided to do a full delete DPF/DEF/ EGR along with new cold are intake filter and cold side to intercooler pipe upgrade. Using a H&S Mini Maxx Tuner.

This is my work truck where I pull a a tag trailer with equipment weighing 11,000 pounds. I'm surprised the DPF didn't go first but I attribute it's longevity to the fact the truck gets worked hard.

I ain't into the coal rolling shit just looking to improve fuel economy and engine longevity.

2. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

2016 Denali HD, deleted at 15k miles and never looked back. Went with a turbo back Flo-Pro 5" with muffler, sounds great and no drone. PPEI tuning through the EZ Lynk system. Not trying to set any speed records so I just keep it on the +50hp tune.

roy826ex likes this.
  3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’m weak, gonna stay stock until the 100k diesel warranty is up then go from there. Trucks been really good to date with 61k on it. 2016 GMC Denali HD.

I’m more concerned about the pos Bosch CP4 injection pump taking a dump and leaving me with a 10-12k repair bill.

ducnut likes this.
  4. moto316

Same, also forgot to mention i added a fass lift pump and beans sump (the lift pumps are super loud if you use a draw straw and have it pump from the top of the tank) and use opti-lube xpd with every fill up. All of that doesn't guarantee the CP4 won't grenade on you but it doesn't hurt.

roy826ex likes this.
  5. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Ya'll are lucky. I'd go to prison for, like, 10 years if I even thought about deleting the emissions stuff off my diesel in Cali. 20 years if I actually went through with it.

jd41, Phl218 and roy826ex like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There's a cure for that in 49 other States. :Poke:
    :D

Gorilla George, raven433 and XFBO like this.
  7. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

The cause of CP4 failures is getting shitty fuel with water in it, the internals of the pump corrode and then eventually the pump blows apart. Change your fuel filters often and make sure you get good fuel from quality stations and that CP4 is nothing to worry about.

Once you’re outside of the 100k warranty delete and do a CP3 conversion and you’re good.

As for me, my 2016 f250 is still stock and will remain that way. With only 40k miles and a 7yr CPO warranty I’m not gonna mess with it.

8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Subscribed. I bought my 6.7 F350 a year ago. I saw stuff about deletes and I am curious. I won't do anything until I am out of warranty. I am most interested in it for the mileage improvement. I saw guys claiming to get 21+ MPG after deleting. I'm at 26k now, so it will be a little while before I'm ready.

The comment by the OP about the DPF longevity due to the truck being worked hard is interesting. Reminded me of something someone told me regarding my old 6.0 . I actually had a pretty good 6.0 that wasn't all trouble. I tow almost daily so the truck worked harder than most daily drivers. Someone mentioned to me that it probably did as well as it did because they are designed to work and mine actually worked. Maybe some truth in that with diesels.

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

‘16 Cummins with a raceme tuner, 5 inch turbo back with a race muffler. Took everything off at 30k and mow at 67k miles. Only thing ive used on the tuner is a transmission program which gives firmer shifts. I have a 68fe trans.

Just washed my afe air filter and im getting 17mpg city/hwy cycle. Not towing at 70mph ill get over 20mpg. Towing a 6x14 single loaded down at 70mph ill get 18mpg.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Anyone ever considered taking a pump apart and having moving parts DLC treated?

My eGodiesel has treated me well so far, egr is deactivated since I got it (GDE tune, with hot regen), but the pump is what worries me a bit

11. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

What size fass did you go with? Did you check before and after mileage to see if the delete made a real difference?

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Subscribed. We have a 2016 dodge that’s currently in the shop for the second time in a little over a year for emissions system bullshit. It was $3000 last time and is going to be almost $5000 this time. I say we dump the shit. Truck has 155k so no warranty concerns.

Are there any special requirements for commercial vehicles though? It shipped with some sort of clean idle sticker on it.

13. buzz-06

Delete with double R diesel and call it a day. All Cummins engines are certified clean idle. You should not have any issues commercial or not. I will put this out there for everyone, the fines from the EPA if you get caught with a deleted truck are outrageous. There is a reason every shop requires you to sign a waiver stating it’s for off-road use only, it’s also the same reason a lot of shops aren’t even doing it anymore.

As far as the OP and anyone else interested, the more you work the truck the longer the DPF will last, if you have an EGR cooler failure then you have to replace everything, coolant contaminated DPF’s don’t last very long.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'll add that "WORK" means just that. Ours cruise down the highway with just a service bed and boom lift on them, no towing, then idle for extended periods of time. Based on discussions with the diesel techs, this is killer on the system and is the source of our problems.

15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Geoff, is that post-delete as well? Im just making sure i follow.

16. buzz-06

Idle time is what clogs a DPF, there is not sufficient flow down stream and the soot produced by the engine packs into the filter. When driving down the road you have a higher exhaust flow and cleaner burn thus reducing clogging in the DPF. When the DPF does clog however the truck can do a rolling or passive regeneration while driving. So yes if you have extended idle time you will eventually have problems. Honestly at 155k I’d just delete it, run no more than a tow tune and a 4” with a muffler so you don’t bring attention to yourself.

Certified clean idle goes out the window with a delete. Honestly the SCR trucks are a lot better than the pre SCR engines. My 2017 Cummins was 100% problem free for the 47k miles I had it. But the bulk of those miles were highway and towing miles, very little idle time on that truck.

Ducti89 likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you’re running a DPF, don’t idle them, avoid traffic jams, and no short trips. The hotter the DPF can be kept, the fewer regens and the fewer the problems. If the engine is being worked and the DPF kept hot, there’s more complete burning of the fuel and lesser particulates being trapped by the DPF, keeping everything cleaned out.

As for CP4 service life, it really comes down to today’s ULSD fuel lacking lubricity. It kills injectors, as well. We see have the service life of a set of injectors from previous fuels.

Warranty would be the last thing I’d worry about with a delete. Getting all that shit off the truck leaves a bulletproof engine, so there won’t be a need for warranty work. The best bet is to develop a relationship with a good diesel shop, even if you have to travel a ways, and see them for anything beyond basic maintenance. There isn’t anything they can’t do and it’ll be done by techs who live diesels.

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. buzz-06

Also while I’m thinking about it, for anyone that is leaving their SCR systems in-tact. Absolutely 100% do not get DEF from a pump. That shit is contaminated, dirty, crystallized and will cause problems. Jugs from the auto parts store only.

Ducti89 and ducnut like this.
  19. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I have a Colorado with the 2.8 'MiniMax' diesel, 99.9% of the time Im driving to work, highway miles, a few mountain passes with good steep grades. Is this something I should worry about?

20. moto316

I think it was the 150 or 165, can’t remember. Never hand calculated before the delete but now with the delete it’s around 20mpg highway unloaded. My favorite part is not having to bother filling up with DEF anymore, GM thought it was a good idea to put the fill tube under the hood, it was almost impossible to not spill some while refilling.