1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To get you into that Christmas giving spirit...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Dec 11, 2019.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Hebrew word yom doesn't mean a 24 hour day, particularly when Genesis was written. The same word is translated to year, time, age in the same books of the Old Testament. Hell, the sun and moon weren't created until the fourth period of time. So how would it mean anything to do with the sun/moon cycle?
    Only simpletons believe the literal "24 hour day" that some tard assigned the word in English centuries ago.
    The word means a period of time. No different than using the word "era" in English.

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Hell our whole family was kicked out of the church here in the early 70's because my grandma wouldn't give more of a percentage of her pension/SS checks so they kicked her and all her kids families out. From what I remember being told about it, ALOT of families walked out afterwards.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Can you explain this statement?

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

That is some wild crap right there!

We belong to a church, called 'Church in ________' Insert your city there. We started in Houston, now in Milwaukee.
    I don't go much, I'm taking my High school son today, wife is working. She is into it and goes nearly every week, etc.
    It's christian, they do communion, and babtize. It's too long IMHO. 2 hrs, the cook for almost an hour and serve a pot luck lunch on Sundays. There is young peoples nights, bible studies, etc.
    We have no pastor, and no paid pastor. They are worldwide too!
    Good people doing good things.
    LIke I said, I only go occasionally. I was brought up Jewish and was Bar Mitzvahed!
    I have since been babtized, when my older son was getting his aabout 5 yrs ago.

That's all

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It’s “baptized”.

K51000 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You're a funny guy.

7. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Seems like I said that about you a year ago or so.... :)

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My parents were told they/we didn't need to come back because they weren't/couldn't give more.

9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Isn't that like a private club membership dues? SMH

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If we are going by what I need then the churches can stop taking in money. I've had what I need for some time now. :D

11. turtlecreek

the amazing thing is, this is America, not say...Germany, where they tax you for the church. If you don't like it, don't support it. If you can't see the amazing amount of good it does, go your own way. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that the church continues to have and has always had a positive impact on the community. It is made up of flawed people, just like the community. It is made up of those who are there just to "get something" and those who are there with a servants heart, just like the community. There are people who want to do good and people who do bad, just like the community. it is "just like the community" PLUS those who are true believers and followers of Christ, just like the community, because the Church is a reflection of the community with the added reflection of Christ in the hearts of some (many/most?). This last group of people listed make the true positive impacts in the world, because CHRIST has made a positive impact on them. Hearts don't change without Christ. that is the difference. Merry Christmas to you and your family sir!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I listen to them. I do actually set foot inside places of worship on occasion as well. Usually for weddings and funerals, I have absolutely no problem at all with others worshiping a god or gods, why would I?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely true.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Oh.. OK... So churches are going to start paying taxes, then? They occupy a shitload of prime properties around here. They don't pay their share, therefore my property taxes are higher.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

The churches around where I grew up like that are in prime location cause they’ve been around 100 plus years. That’s like taxing the shit out of a family who’ve handed a family home down generations.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You mean, like they do?

cav115 likes this.
  17. turtlecreek

Power to tax = power to destroy. Freedom of religion is in conflict.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am good with the churches being tax free until and unless they start telling the government what to do or telling people who to vote for publicly. Inside the church is fine, but not outside of that because then it becomes a PAC not a church.

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Everyone should be exempt from taxes.

Or no one should.

auminer likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hey, you were the one that said if I didn't like it I shouldn't support it.

By paying higher taxes to make up for ostentatious temples for 31 different flavors of sky daddy on every block, I AM, de facto, supporting their dead-beatitudes.

(seewhatididthere?)