Psalm 46: Jesus of Tavullia Reborn

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jan 23, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

"The concerning thing is, and the sad thing for me is, he is finishing about where he qualifies.

:stupid::(

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Makes me wonder if Yamaha honestly feels they can’t get a better rider. They certainly seem content with riding along with Rossi towards the bottom of the order. I can’t imagine the spirits are good at Corp Japan as Honda and now somewhat Ducati are regularity kicking their teeth in. Especially Honda. No love loss between these companies. At what point do they become more concerned about saving face.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where Rossi finishes is a moot point for Yamaha. He still sells product and that is the entire point of all of this.

Shocker, awalk9905, nd4spd and 2 others like this.
  4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

It's really a judgment call whether or not keeping him and his brand on outweighs the less prize money and giving up on the constructors title, plus the opportunity cost of building up another rider's career.

I could see it argued either way, who wants to build the financial model?

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

when you see way more red than yellow in the stands, then that is where you can start to even discuss any of the above.

rice r0cket likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Possibly. I still question the actual impact he has on motorcycle sales or that racing does in general. Most sport bike riders I’ve ran into have zero idea about MotoGP, let alone Rossi. Might be different around the globe but the impact of one individual racer towards influencing sales is minimal.
    Or what other product do you mean? I’m sure he helps sell t-shirts and hats at the races or through Motogp merchandising site.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Prize money? I don't think they have F1-type of money here. The difference between podium and 6th is probably meaningless to the team's total budget.

BigBird likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I guess my question is, how many of those yellow clothes wearing fans in the stands are regularly purchasing Yamaha motorcycles?

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, I would think it’s of no consideration or at least I’ve never heard or read otherwise.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not just the bikes. You get to tell your sponsors that lots of people will buy their products because their stickers are on Rossi's and they better spend the money now before those people are no longer interested in MotoGP after he retires. :D

BigBird and G 97 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're absolutely correct about little to no impact - in the US. He is an absolute rock star overseas.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not sure this is a good idea. From a pure marketing standpoint that is. :D
    DE4707BE-CA85-4105-971E-EE989E86D15D.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Trying to tap into that Colombian market :)

Razr likes this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Whole thing is stupid. Honda marketing has gone steadily downhill ever since "You meet the nicest people..."

BigBird likes this.
  15. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Right now it really doesn't matter who is on the Yamaha as the Honda and the Ducati suck the paint off the side of it as they go by anytime there is a straight or coming out of a corner.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

no impact :Poke:

[​IMG]

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

You mean this didn’t get you excited about all things Honda motorcycles?
    This always make me think that something was lost or missed in translation. :crackup:
    But hey, at least it has a Monkey in it. :D

18. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

They do have this, though.

Potts N Pans likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Exactly. No translation required so it didn’t get screwed up. :D

20. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Was at a bar watching WSBK qualifying, and the bartender asked me if Rossi was winning.

BigBird likes this.