1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

20190929_163237.jpg

Wish I could haul cool stuff.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Contact Tim Weig at Motoshippers.com. @jeremy dunn can vouch for hauling cool stuff. Or not.

dtalbott likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Just cars, after one hauls a few.

418 and BigBird like this.
  4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If I could afford one of those cars I would be hiring someone with an enclosed trailer.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Dealer wholesale inventory. :( That Orange Superlaggera......:drool

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That's what I was thinking. To include the dealers.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Huge money difference.

The enclosed is typically going to be 6 cars, possibly 7. Obviously, there’s 8 on the pictured setup. The enclosed service is going to be $1.50/mi and up, per unit, and a lot of it is contract hauling through the premium forwarders, so the rate will be even higher. The guy with the open trailer will be tickled to do it for 50¢/mi, per unit, if you fill the trailer. And, likely, he’d do it even cheaper, because they’re the ones working load boards like U-Ship and running the rates into the ground. Using my guesstimate numbers, you’re looking at $9/mi for the enclosed and the open is going to be $4/mi. Since wholesalers only care about bottom lines, they’d get 25% more vehicles for ~56% less cost. It’s a no-brainer, really.

8. dtalbott

That's 5 Ferraris, a Ford Explorer, and a sedan.

I thought it was Fast and Furious when he pulled in.

9. dtalbott

I'm not a green guy, but green was the only convertible I noticed.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If I could afford one of those cars....

OH, wait. I could, but I don't need a penis extension.

:D

11. 418

418 Expert #59

You don't think there is hotshot guys with enclosed trailers diluting the enclosed market? Everybody and their mom came into car hauling because you know, car hauler money. Enclosed and open deck rates are straight garbage.

At least with a stinger I could make up the rate with volume and I was hauling new cars so the rates were strong. You can even do 11 units with a 80 footer high rail if you're brave.

Loved the work but that shit don't pay enough for the amount of responsibility and work load. Respect to the guys that do this day in/out.

received_404239246954539.jpeg received_3036804406346506.jpeg received_403721333654981.jpeg

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! The clowns who’ve no clue about business are killing the rates, everyday. Look at the $1.45/mi Amazon rates. Why even turn the key for that?

I suspect Reliable, Passport, and the other contract carriers are doing quite a bit better than the U-Ship/board scabs.

It has always been and will always be.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Nope

14. dtalbott

Four across the top, and the bottom rear?

Wnich one isn't?

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’m no expert .. but top rack end is an Audi ( I believe) then two Lamborghinis , and not sure of last two with out some more research

dtalbott likes this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

Audi R8 and three Lambos up top.

If ya wanna haul cool shit you need to tighten up. :D

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Looks like a typical load of ours after a manheim riverside auction on thursday.

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

And top is R8 then gallardo, gallardo and gallardo.
    bottem is 430, no idea [maybe rs3?] aviator or something like that and an S class.

ducnut likes this.
  19. dtalbott

Hey, I topped out at the Pontiac Fiero. I don't know those high dollar cars.

That's y'all's world, not mine.

Thanks for the correction.

fastedyamaha likes this.
  20. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that dropped a caddy northstar v-8 in his fiero, absolutely ridiculous hp for that car. Thing was a rocket ship sleeper in light to light drag racing activities :beer:

dtalbott likes this.