1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

“no idea”-By the profile, wheel design, and door detail, I’m pretty certain it’s a Honda Civic Sport.

LS swap, some with a turbo, is the current trend.

dtalbott likes this.
  2. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Once a broker gets involved a lot of the $ is chunked out - I usually quote my customers a little over a buck a mile for enclosed but when brokers call me to check on available space it’s 80c a mile if I’m lucky . Direct customers are the only way to make a good living hauling cars . Some days you’re the bug , some days you’re the windshield . Headed back on the road tomorrow til thanksgiving doing snowbirds from Chicago/Detroit to Florida . My fav time of year !

BigBird, dtalbott and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I used to run central IL>Orlando>Clearwater>central IL, Saturday AM to Wednesday AM, every week. I used to really enjoy it, especially in the winter.

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My uncle drives for Horseless Carriage. He likes it and is seems to be doing pretty well. They have contracts to deliver certain high end brands to dealerships which I'm sure helps. I've done a couple of day trips with him before which was fun. Always interesting to see what he has inside the trailer.

ducnut likes this.
  5. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

D2333049-4A90-4750-9075-6C2C69225198.jpeg AF2ED214-96BF-42ED-804E-2C1FDA6EA014.jpeg

Mclaren sennas from an event over the weekend in telluride . It’s tough to see in the pic but the dark is raw carbon , nasty !

Senna, BigBird, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Meh. They all look pretty much the same in the mirrors of my clapped out SV.

7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Jesus, all of you need to learn.

From top left:
    Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, Lamborghini Gallardo Superlaggera, Lamborghini Hurracan

From Bottom Left:
    Ferrari F430, Nor Sure, Lincoln Navigator, and Mercedes Maybach.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Which is an S class.

ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Help me to learn: “Nor Sure”. :D

ClemsonsR6 and bored&stroked like this.
  10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Perhaps this "jesus" can help him too.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ClemsonsR6

S Body Chassis. But c'mon, a Maybach and an S class are two different levels.

12. ClemsonsR6

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not really. One is a bit more tarted up and uglier than the other. Bentley and RR, however, are another level.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

"nor Sure" is a Honda Civic

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I recall reading a comment from a person in this thread poo-pooing the idea that the market for truck drivers would not be strong soon. I made that comment based upon what I've read, indicating several factors leading to an upcoming bust of the current boom.

Recently, I read about this: https://wolfstreet.com/2019/10/03/as-orders-collapse-heavy-truck-manufacturers-start-layoffs/

Now stories like this: https://www.businessinsider.com/trucking-bloodbath-truck-drivers-november-jobs-report-2019-12

https://www.businessinsider.com/celadon-trucking-bankrtupcy-truckers-stranded-2019-12

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Interesting about Celedon. The news also points to a multi year internal accounting scandal, so there is a factor external to general market conditions.

I'm curious how tariffs are effecting trucking and intermodal shipping in general. I'm sure some economist has the data somewhere.

ToofPic likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s normal ebb and flow of the industry. The first two articles you linked, both, indicate this. You have people who make quick decisions, chasing revenue and growth, then, cry “foul” when things don’t continue upward, which is the gist of the articles. More stable and “smarter” companies/managements are more conservative in their decision making and tend to better weather the storms. And, I take the quoting from an XBO executive with a grain of salt, as that is one of the shittiest transportation companies on the planet.

The article on Celadon is simply reporting on another corrupt, shitty company. Their greed is exactly why they’re where they are at. They’re a driver mill, hiring the worst of humanity and immigrants who have no business behind the wheel of a semi-truck. They pay crap wages, run junk down the road, cheat drivers everywhere possible, and are amongst the worst of the worst. They always have been. But, as with so many trucking companies, they’re filling seats with people naive of the industry and who are desperate for something better than where they’re at.

Also, a “trucking company” can be one truck an O/O is running. If they’re incompetent, fed-up, whatever, and file bankruptcy, that goes toward statistics. Those guys go belly-up, all the time, so the statistics aren’t always what they seem.

My last employer is the world’s largest at what they do in the food industry (think Walmart for food wholesale and retail). They’ve experienced growth every year, since 1960. For the last 12 years, their gross revenue number has doubled every 3-4 years. They steadily increase the number of trucks ordered per year and, usually, bump it up from initial projections to increase fleet growth even more than planned. However, their additions are very conservative and calculated. As such, they’ve never had a layoff in the history of the company and typically don’t need to retract in other areas, either. Every single department in the company faces staffing shortages and they’re currently at ~5300 employees. In 2017, they shipped more than 25K loads on contractor trucks, because they don’t have enough drivers of their own. They’re always looking for and hiring great drivers for continued growth, contrary to the aforementioned articles.

So, when you see negative industry articles, no matter the industry, just remember what you read doesn’t apply to everyone in that industry.

scottn, GarrettRick and 418 like this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One thing these people don’t tell you is there wasn’t near the amount of intermodal business out there, before all our production was shipped overseas. The import business, and its peripheral businesses, will all need to adjust. They’re crying “foul”, but, fuck them. If what the current administration is doing brings that production back to the USA, all the better. It recreates production jobs we lost and recreates demand in peripheral production jobs, such as machining/production equipment, construction industry, raw material supply, and so forth. Plus, it all generates more tax revenue. There’s a definite positive trickledown effect, even if it hurts one industry, like transportation. There are a whole lot more people going back to work than getting laid-off from trucking.

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. ClemsonsR6

Celadon is filing bankruptcy for cooking the books for the past few years. Two or three of their top executives are going to "fuck you in the ass" prison.

ToofPic, 418 and ducnut like this.
  20. 418

418 Expert #59

As stated, Celadon has been in trouble for years.

There's no doom and gloom. Every truck driver I know has a job and could have another one 7 days if needed as long as they're willing to work.

ToofPic, dtalbott and ducnut like this.