1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Your post was what made me come here and post. That’s some serious elevation.

My friend has some of the Assioma pedals and loves them. Eventually I’ll upgrade mine to a dual sided meter.

I bought my S2 105 last year. This is what it looks like. I’ve since upgraded the bars, stem, I put full Ultegra on it but I’m taking them off. I just picked up a the new R7000 105 Groupset. Next purchase is some Aero rims.

Attached Files:

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Video of a rather normal looking crash.
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/official-youtube-video-thread.215117/page-750#post-5560903

Here are the pics of my dead bike. Unrepairable.
    trek dead.jpg trek dead2.jpg

New bike. A 2017 Specialized Tarmac. Swapped the Ultegra Di2 and the FFWD wheels to the new bike and bought a Cobbler Gobbler seat post.

tarmac.jpg

I also bought a gravel bike. 2019 Diverge E5 with Shimano 105 and a Cobbler Gobbler seat post.

diverge.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    cha0s#242 and ducnut like this.
  3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Dude what in the fackin fack happened?!? That was the weirdest shit I’ve ever seen. Did the frame just break on you? Or did you brake a little and the brakes lock causing the crash then broken frame?

And just like with @Newsshooter , I set myself up this year to MAKE me ride more. I signed up for 6 gap and 2 other rides. They are going to suck.

I downgraded my grouppo because of a local asshole. One thing I have figured out is that bicyclists are like Ducati Elitists. They turn their nose in the air to not only new comers but also those without the very top of the line equipment.

This local asshole who rides a Alchemist custom is fast but is a dick. And in group riding, a while back he was shaking his head at me when I was in the back of the fastest group ride because I didn’t go to the front and make pulls. But at 28-30mph with a tailwind, I literally couldn’t. Then not only that but I was doing intervals on my own one day and was in front of him, on a empty road, they were short :30 on and off sprints. So he came by then I came back by but he saw me doing them in advance. Then again as I slowed up (with signaling I was slowing) not in front of him but on side he does the shake the head thing.

He’s a little bitty guy (5’5”ish) so it’s not like I would confront him physically unless he let his Napoleon complex get the best of him and confront me or something. So I decided to do one better. He is in Better shape than I am right now and legitimately fast. But, I decided I am going to Giberneau him.

Once I am fit enough, (not too much longer at this point) , I am going to show up to all the local fast rides and beat him. Every single time I see him. I will make it a point to pull in front of him and shake my head in disgust. I am going to do this on my S2 with regular ole stock rims, and crappy 105 Group. I can’t stand stupid fucks like
    That.

XFBO and cha0s#242 like this.
  4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh and unrelated but I just had a proper fitting on my bike with the Retul system and so far I love it.

He didn’t actually change my positioning much but changed my seat which was just a stockish 120mm seat to a 155mm because of my sit bones. And slid it forward like 12mm.

And all of gotta say is WOW. Him saying I will be able to put more power down more efficiently I was like... yeah ok. But NOPE! He was right.

If anyone who has been like me and ridden for 2-3 years (12k miles total) and hasn’t had a proper fitting done, go do it. Expensive but worth it.

I’ve also bought a 12 weeks training plan from Training Peaks and their software is awesome. I love the peaks feature.

And although I have a smart trainer (Cycleops Magnus) I HATE using it. I’d much rather ride in any conditions to avoid riding it. With the exception of the cold, which is what I will have to do in the winter.

Anyone else use Training Peaks or SF or Trainer Road or anything?

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Riding on a trainer can suck, but it can be super beneficial if you are training for specific gains; especially if you are using a power meter. It's hard to find areas of road you can pedal hard for a long period of time without stops, traffic, downhills, wind, etc. The controlled environment of riding on the trainer is important when doing structured training.They are also helpful when you are time crunched. You can get a good, targeted workout in an hour that would take hours out on the road.Using a training program like Training Peaks, I bet you will see some real gains in your FTP and endurance.

About 3 years ago I was super focused on a MTB series and used Carmichael Training system videos to train. I ended up in my best cycling shape ever by the end of that summer by mostly riding on the trainer. Good luck on your training.

XFBO and cajun636 like this.
  6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'm using sufferfest/training peaks, videos music and jokes help with the suffering

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I was focused on the wrong thing. I was target fixated on his back wheel instead looking forward. The frame broke because my heavy ass landed on the bike. Too bad it’s unrepairable (according to five carbon fiber repair places and Trek). Never getting another Madone.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a dumb trainer and use Zwift. I did a 8 week FTP builder training plan @3 X one hour sessions last Winter to prepare my season and it made a HUGE difference. I was actually in better shape coming off the trainer in May than I am now almost halfway through the season. We had such a shitty Spring that I only rode 1 hour most weeks so I actually lost power since the start of the season. The trainer sucks, but it pays plenty with the results. I'm definitely doing it again during the next off season.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    wsmc42 likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Did you check with your Trek dealer ? They sometimes offer crash discounts on frames or offer to replace. YMMV.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yeah I can get a new frame for $1700 but instead opted for a used Tarmac for about $900. I’m just as fast on it and it’s super comfortable so I’m happy. Too bad though, I feel like I threw away $5k.

11. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

That crash would toast any modern carbon frame. Do you really think a Tarmac would have survived? I don’t like Trek, and would never buy one, but your expectations of the crash worthiness of your Madone are off in la la land.

Editing to add that you got the standard “crash replacement policy” treatment. You won’t get less screwed by any other big bike brand. And most of the small brands are worse. My brother-in-law bought a custom Alchemy and the seat tube cracked at the clamp. He had to throw an apeshit-flinging fit to get them to fix it under warranty.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

The problem with the Madone is where it cracked. I think on any other bike without Iso Speed Decoupler would be an easy fix for someone. Since the Iso Speed is integrated into the bike and not removable on my year model I think it's an "easy" fix for someone that knows what they're doing.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've got a Wahoo Kickr love it with Zwift. Definitely makes the indoor sessions easier. Plus the "social" aspect makes it a bit more palatable. Chasing riders, terrain changes, drafting, etc. I find myself pushing more than I would normally on the trainer. The Kickr has erg mode too. That makes it painfully simple to run a predetermined training routine.

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Not quite a road bike. But got a Cannondale Slate and this thing is awesome. 2650713D-FFB4-475C-9A7F-7DB56351245E.jpeg

cajun636 and cha0s#242 like this.
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

How do you like the seat post? Steep price, but im all for comfort on these bikes.

16. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Purchased an ibis HD4 last year and am hooked on bikes. Planned to build a budget road bike. After doing a shit ton of research I ended up building:

S works tarmac SL6
    Dt Swiss 50mm clincher wheels
    Sram red etap FD, RD & shifters
    Sram force 22 carbon cranks
    Dura ace brakes
    Zipp carbon bars w/ aero flat top
    Zipp carbon stem

Far from budget but I’m happy with it :crackup:

17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I just finished up vO2 max intervals before the family gets up, and usually do a few other workouts and online races per week which are a lot of fun, no way I'd do that without zwift or a smart trainer sucks. So zwift sucks/is awesome.

18. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I sold off my propel SL0 and built a 2018 S3 disc over the winter. I swapped out the enve SES 3.4 wheels (kept them for windy days) with the 65mm dt Swiss PRCs, the older Ultegra 6800 di2 groupset with dura-ace 9170, a DA 9000 12-28 cassette and pyc chain. It’s down to 7665g (16.8lbs) and could loose a bit more with a new stem/bar setup. I’ve ridden it around 700km but managed to f up my legs and feet by not reading an issue with my IT band and ankles. Basically woke up unable to walk so I hope to get back out by the end of August and put some proper long rides in.
    [​IMG]

RichB and TurboBlew like this.
  19. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

That thing is titties*.

All of the photos in this thread are making me want to step up my game. The new Argon Nitrogen Disc is looking like something I need in my life.

*That's how the kids say stuff is cool these days.

20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I really like it so far, has some character over the all black bikes everyone seems to have now.