1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Iran war.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, May 7, 2019.

1. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Uh.....uh.....um.....uhhh.....

Do we know if the 2 today were mines or torpedo?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Tom Clancy wrote a book about this.

Something to consider: Iran, most of Iraq, and Syria are Shia. Saudi Arabia is Sunni. They don’t like each other. If something big kicks off I could see the whole region fracturing along these lines.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The French and (mostly) the British will surely see that someone doesn't undo their chusterfuck?!?....

...Love the lingering irony here, it's like a self-doubting Croatian chick or some shit.

4. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

Iran hits Israel,Israel
    Kicks their ass back...
    Who wrote that book? Has it happened before?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're saying limpet mines and even saw an Iranian small boat remove the one that didn't detonate from one of the ships.

One of the ship owners I think is saying the crew saw something flying but without more details the mines is far and away most likely.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I read a Japanese tanker had a mine attached but did not detonate. Don't be fkn with our Japanese buddies!

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think that was the mine the Iranians took back off. Two exploded and one didn't - all while the Japanese PM was in Iran for talks.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

[​IMG]

https://gcaptain.com/u-s-military-says-video-proves-iran-was-behind-tanker-attacks/
    The U.S. Central Command released video Friday which it says proves that Iran was behind two tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday.

CENTCOM also released photographs showing an unexploded limpet apparent mine, which attaches to the side of a ship magnetically, before it was removed later in the day by an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) patrol boat seen in the video.

The video was recorded by a U.S aircraft and shows an IRGC patrol boat and crew removing what the Navy said was an unexploded limpet mine from the MT Kokuka Courageous, one of two tankers attacked Friday.

The blast forced all 21 crew of the Kokuka Courageous to abandon ship. They were later rescued by the crew of the U.S. Navy’s Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96). Additional details provide by the U.S. Navy are below:

U.S. Naval Forces in the region received two separate distress calls at 6:12 a.m. local time from the motor tanker (M/T) Altair and a second one at 7a.m. local time from the M/T Kokuka Courageous.

Both vessels were in international waters in the Gulf of Oman approximately 10 nautical miles apart at the time of the distress calls. USS Bainbridge was approximately 40 nautical miles away from the M/T Altair at the time of the attack, and immediately began closing the distance.

At 8:09 a.m. local time a U.S. aircraft observed an IRGC Hendijan class patrol boat and multiple IRGC fast attack craft/fast inshore attack craft (FAC/FIAC) in the vicinity of the M/T Altair.

At 9:12 a.m. local time a U.S. aircraft observes the FAC/FIAC pull a raft from the M/T Altair from the water.

At 9:26 a.m. local time the Iranians requested that the motor vessel Hyundai Dubai, which had rescued the sailors from the M/T Altair, to turn the crew over to the Iranian FIACs. The motor vessel Hyundai Dubai complied with the request and transferred the crew of the M/T Altair to the Iranian FIACs.

At 11:05 a.m. local time USS Bainbridge approaches the Dutch tug Coastal Ace, which had rescued the crew of twenty-one sailors from the M/T Kokuka Courageous who had abandoned their ship after discovering a probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion.

While the Hendijan patrol boat appeared to attempt to get to the tug Coastal Ace before USS Bainbridge, the mariners were rescued by USS Bainbridge at the request of the master of the M/T Kokuka Courageous. The rescued sailors are currently aboard USS Bainbridge.

At 4:10 p.m. local time an IRGC Gashti Class patrol boat approached the M/T Kokuka Courageous and was observed and recorded removing the unexploded limpet mine from the M/T Kokuka Courageous (video above).

The U.S. and our partners in the region will take all necessary measures to defend ourselves and our interests. Today’s attacks are a clear threat to international freedom of navigation and freedom of commerce.

The U.S. and the international community, stand ready to defend our interests, including the freedom of navigation.

The United States has no interest in engaging in a new conflict in the Middle East. However, we will defend our interests.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Dumb question, but does them removing the mine necessarily mean they placed it? Are we assuming the US wouldn’t remove an undetonated mine from a civi ship to prevent further damage if it were discovered, whether we placed it or not?

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why is that a dumb question?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Beaten poster syndrome? or would it be "Post" Traumatic Stress Disorder

MachineR1, Inst Tech, scottn and 3 others like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it means they placed it - they removed it to make sure it couldn't be identified as theirs rather than to save the ship from more damage. Had it been purely for good reasons they'd be advertising that and pics of the mine from whoever other than Iran to show it wasn't them. They also wouldn't be holding the other crew.

US wouldn't have been able to go up and remove it that quickly as they wouldn't know exactly where it was or how safe/dangerous it was without a lot more time.

All that being said, not a dumb question :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you watch the video of them removing the mine,
    they aren't dressed in any EOD gear at all.
    They obviously weren't afraid to handle it.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just wasn’t sure if there was something else that was known. I watched the video, and agree with other posters that they seemed really comfortable removing it, but I don’t know squat about marine mines. Maybe it’s a known “type” that is commonly used. Who knows.

15. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Or they’re morons

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

What’s Iran’s end game with this? What are they hoping to achieve?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Freak people out and drive up oil prices to get the US and pals to back down on sanctions. They obviously haven't been paying much attention to how Trump and the US overall deals with silly games like that :D

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

A glassy sheen to their overall surface area?

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Why is it in ir? Is it dark at 4pm over there? Weather looks fine. It was on the side of the boat all day and no one noticed it? First distress call at 6 and 7 am, But they pulled the mine off the hull at 4pm?

When did these boats depart? No one bothers to check the boats while under way in any way? Do they use a pilot service? It's all very very weird.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doubt he'd have to go to that extent. It's just too funny that people truly think getting allies to pressure Trump will work. Man don't give a shit if you're an ally or not, he's not going to stop pushing.