1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Iran war.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, May 7, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The mines are magnetic. They attach and go kaboom when the ship floats by one.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not aware of anything else released that shows Iranians sticking a bomb on that boat. That's why I didn't think that your question was dumb. Far from it.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That mine is well above the waterline so it
    had to be placed there. It is meant to cause
    damage but not sink the ship.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I've seen these guys digging at an undetonated 155 shell with sandals on in the moments before sais 155 shell instantaneously updated its detonation status, leaving behind only a hole, and the aforementioned sandals.

To say they ain't bright is an understatement.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s not that they’re stupid, it’s that life sucks and is incredibly cheap over there and they’re convinced that there’s a much better version waiting for them on the other side of that boom.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Placed by a person? I figured it had some sort of trigger or propulsion mechanism that got it up there.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The oil price angle is what irks me. US production is at an all time high, so higher oil prices mean YUGE profits for American oil companies and booms in places like Midland, TX and the Dakotas, but they put a stranglehold on the rest of the country.

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s stupid ergo they ARE stupid.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They’re probably like a claymore. The first thing they do before handling them is put the safety pin back in. At that point they could play baseball with it and be safe.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Agreed, but a different kind of stupid than just plain dumb ;)

Fonda Dix likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I understand your complaint, but considering taxes and other non-value added costs, gas prices have pretty much paced the inflation rate (excluding speculative spikes). A more relevant observation would be the oil companies' ROI.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes, but the shock value and ripple effect of high gas prices has an extreme impact on the economy. $4/gallon gas in middle America basically cuts the economy to a bare minimum. The whole bottom half of the scale goes into panic mode and almost everyone cuts back on spending. This is compounded by prices on virtually everything being ratcheted up via the excuse of “increased transportation costs”.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's a speculation issue. Those lemmings could screw up a one car funeral.

ryoung57 and crashman like this.
  14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Wasn't there more than one? It could have been pull up if the ship listed. Isn't the black line the old water line? Not much on boats other than I know they float (or should)

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

It definitely has an impact but to state that it cuts the economy to a bare minimum is beyond ridiculous as the economy itself is not static and varies as such that you can’t make a blanket statement of one single price/cost increase towards the magnitude of effect it will have on the economy with out also stating the current state of the overall economy.

I would say the economy is strong enough at the moment that it can absorb the price increase and still remain relatively strong, certainly not anything close to cutting it to a bare minimum as the current numbers simply don’t support this.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Gas prices around here went up maybe a quarter a gallon, but are still lower than they were about a month ago.

If this was some sort of attack intended to derail the global economy through higher fuel prices, then it failed about miserably/

Almost as miserably as the gang of dickheads that want to die and took over a vessel laden with extremely flammable petrochemicals and couldn't manage to set it alight & sink it did.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s all perception. Yes, the economy will still roll along but discretionary spending (all the fun stuff) will tank.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, hasn't happened due to fuel prices that I've ever noticed. Hasn't affected large vehicle sales either.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You guys don’t remember what, 2007/2008 when gas was so high? Granted, I was young and broke at the time, but it sucked.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No, it isn’t perception , the overall economy at that time was soft. Gas prices were just one of many other areas that created a negative impact on peeps. You have to put it in perspective. The other thing is, I didn't see any less autos on the road, possibly initially peeps modified their driving behaviors but after the initial price shock wore off it was business as usual.
    But to say that $4.00 gallon gasoline will tank todays economy is being simplistic. It simply won’t happen.