Canyon Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You really need to find a shop with a MTB bias. Numbers on a site tell nothing about the ride of the bike and fit while riding it. For instance, an XC bike of “X” reach and stack numbers will feel totally different from a trail bike with similar numbers. Likewise, they can offer you better wheel size advice, for the terrain in your area and bike models they suggest. Again, there’s a lot of value in a relationship with a bike shop.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

@ducnut All good points...I'm actually been looking at the Lynskey Ti frames/bikes as well.

ducnut likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what is a "CF-laced" bike?

ive ridden my friends Ritchey Road Logic. its sluggish, flexy, and boring. it def rides smoother than my old AL chinese frame. but even with a better drivetrain, it doesnt accelerate or climb better. it doesnt hold a candle to his BMC or my Parlee. he knows it too. when he wants to be comfortable, he brings the Ritchey. when he wants to keep up, he rides the BMC. the better frame is nearly-free speed, only sacrificing comfort.

ducnut likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Moving the seat is DEFINITELY part of the fit equation... hence why the rails have those graduated marks. Thats an easy 15mm of adjustment... not to mention proper seat height. In the size difference between the small & medium for that model... its a whooping 24mm top tube and 5mm at the crank arm.
    Let me know "how" to buy one that fits through mail order vs a LBS... Im all ears. :D
    The resale observation is something Ive noticed with folks that bought stuff from the likes of BikesDirect or just bought what a LBS had instock at the time of purchase. Keep in mind that 90% of the buyers of "small" frames are women according to my LBS & thats the size that tends to languish on the used consignment rack. Rarely do med or large frame bikes sit around for long. Its kind of like size 10 shoes. Fits a good majority of casual buying folks.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

CF stays, fork, steerer, and post.

You have valid points. Like I said, if one is in a competitive environment, CF has a purpose. But, for the recreational rider, speed and power transfer shouldn’t be at the top of the priority list. Comfort and enjoyment should be, though. As you stated, your friend brings his steel bike, when he wants to be comfortable.

Isn’t Richey Asian-made, these days?

Bob Parlee is the pinnacle of CF bike builders, IMHO. You ride something to be proud of, that’s for sure.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I think, he meant sliding the seat fore and aft shouldn’t be used to change the TT length/reach. And, he’s correct. One uses the seat rails to change knee placement over the pedals/toebox.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Moving the seat is 100% part of the fit equation, to get your knee and foot lined up and proper pedaling dynamics. It’s not meant to bring your body closer to the bars to reduce reach, that’s why they make different size stems. You still want to start out with a bike that’s as close to perfect with the oem parts not one that’s a size too big and a 70mm stem with the seat slammed forward.

I ride with the seat slightly closer than what the shop set it to because it was causing knee pain but it wasn’t moved to shorten the reach.

Go to a shop that can fit you on a bike and if you still want to order one after, look up the specs on the bike you were fitted to and buy one as close to those measurements as you can. It’s expensive to buy bikes and change them
    to find the right fit. I’ve lost around $5k so far in 3 years because I didn’t know what I wanted at first and got the wrong sizes. I bought an endurance bike that was too small, swapped the frame to the right size (shop did it for $650 even though they sized me). Sold the endurance bike and bought an aero bike (my 58) that ended up being just enough too long to make it uncomfortable on a medium/long ride. Now I’m on my 56 and it’s absolute bliss. The reach is correct, the stack height is perfect with minimal spacers, seat is in the middle of the clamps with a 0mm offset seat post, and my ass doesn’t hurt (same seat) which is the #1 best thing about all of it. A sore ass is brutal when you’re 45min from home.

Don’t buy a bike that’s too big because of resale. If that’s what the shop is telling you and trying to fit you to a bike that’s too big, go somewhere else.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. stangmx13

ya a CF-laced bike is a poor point of comparison IMO. ive ridden a few of those bikes over the years - Trek, Specialized, etc. the CF stays def added some comfort over an AL frame, but its hard to feel any other benefits. i feel like u dont really start to feel the "magic" of CF until the bottom bracket and chainstays are CF.

diff strokes for diff folks. im riding the Belgian Waffle Ride next weekend - 135mi, 40% gravel, 10k ft climbing. my friend and i could choose to "fondo it". instead we are going to race it. weve been training and have a goal of <10hrs. so i need the comfort and the power transfer, hence the Parlee.

i dont know where the Ritchey is made nor how it compares to the other frames u listed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve ridden CF frames and they’re just not my stroke, like you say.

My TT bike was CF with a Zipp 606 wheelset and is absolutely no comparison to an endurance CF frameset. No matter, I rode that bike everywhere, including climbing Smuggler’s Notch with it. I showed up to a group ride with it and had to hear the bullshit of how I wasn’t safe, because of not covering brakes. Yet, a person riding on the tops or drops isn’t covering the brakes, either. A skilled rider can easily pop off the aerobars and grab the brakes. Those assholes sure enjoyed me pulling them for miles at a time, though. Likewise, I showed up to a century ride and was heckled as being some kind of showoff. I set my cruise control at 20-21mph and did my thing. The whole roadie arrogance, being a target for drivers to harass, and near-victim to inattentive drivers is why I left skinny tires and started riding dirt and gravel. I love the solitude and camaraderie of that crowd much better.

SGVRider and TurboBlew like this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was just going by the size chart for the model bike he posted. I totally agree with what you are saying... and it may take a few "uncomfortable" NOs with LBS to get a proper fit. It may not be something you can size through a LBS & might have to spend the loot on a professional bike fitter that can do a GMD sweet #s type fit with a list of suitable models that may work.

DWhyte91 and ducnut like this.
  11. stangmx13

ya the people, and often lack thereof, is def a perk of gravel. the scenery aint bad too. i love that i can go anywhere in the county... and fast.

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Even then, you need to observe what kind of clientele the shop caters to, so they don’t try and fit you with an aggressive setup suitable for a hammerhead, when you might be a recreational rider that just wants the bike to be right.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s the appeal of the Dirty Kanza, for me. And, there’s another (the name escapes me) that’s all volunteer-ran, in SW Missouri, and travels farm lanes, pastures, woods, gravel, etc. The variety intrigued me.

14. stangmx13

if a fitter doesnt first ask how many miles u ride and at what pace, it might not be a bad idea to find someone else.

ducnut likes this.
  15. stangmx13

the friend im racing BWR with is using it as training for DK, haha

hes riding an Open UPPER. so we are both spoiled for gravel.

ducnut likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Depending on where one lives or what one does for a living, it’s so hard to prepare for the DK, with it being so early in the year. I think, that’s why it kicks so many asses. Awesome that so many companies heavily support the event, too.

Great exchanges of info in this thread, despite most of it not directly pertaining to Canyon Bicycles.

17. StaccatoFan

All welcomed input though, IMO.

18. StaccatoFan

Don't look now, but Lynskey is showing 20 percent off all road bikes, AND they ship free world wide! Their Ti bikes are GORGEOUS...the R270 with Ultegra definitely catches my eye.

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

They do some reasonably priced builds, especially during promotions, and will allow one to upgrade any components they want, for the price difference. Their bikes are hard to beat for the money and can be ridden and admired for a lifetime.

GR270 for me. :)

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member