High mileage electric bikes and cars coming soon

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I'm also waiting on someone to point out the flaws with the Atlis and Rivian.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

In 20 years of driving, I haven't spent $70k on all the vehicles I've ever bought COMBINED (purchase price, not cost of ownership). I counted them up and I'm around $49k. And I've got almost a million KM's out of them all combined. I've never sold a car I've owned for anything more than scrap price :), although my current truck might break that trend.

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong though.
    Used volts are 30-40k, Nissan leaf's are 15-25k (cheaper for older ones, but I'm not buying a 7-8 year old EV), Prius are 15-25k also. But I don't see 4x4, or a utility bed on any of them?

I'm just not the target market for an EV. No matter how you run the #'s it just doesn't math out for me unless you omit stuff to make your case. My wife could probably make a case for a volt, and we've looked into them, but....it didn't really make $ense at the time (6 years ago). Now there's no EV rebate incentive from the gov (thanks for my own money back BTW), it makes even less sense. I'm not selling a perfectly functioning automobile that's paid for to buy another at a much higher purchase price so I can save some gas money. I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off and it's no longer financially viable to continue driving it.

badmoon692008 and Motofun352 like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ok...They are both hideous to look at and I won't spend my money on them. May not be a functional or mechanical flaw but in the end you have to convince people to buy them and part of what I use as decision making criteria is "Do I like the looks of it?".

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

requiring a truck to "look good" is like asking that all forms of tobacco have to be vaped

5. Venom51

And that's kind of the point we have been making. If you aren't making a payment while feeding a vehicle gas, tires and brakes then you aren't going to really be saving anything by buying something to avoid driving the one that is only costing you gas, tires and brakes.

6. Venom51

Sorry...it's part of my criteria. Then again I am happy to throw shit on a trailer so the bed on that truck doesn't have to do much.

When I worked out of a truck everyday it just had to be reliable but I don't do that anymore so now it can look good too.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

i had a '96 ranger and i loved that turd.

now i have a 15 RAM and love it. i think it looks good. but i also don't care as long as it does what it does. it's a truck.

for nice things to look at i have a wife and a motorcycle.

8. Venom51

Well I contend when you are asking people to drop 50 to 70k on one it better be a damn good looking, very capable truck.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

10. Trunxgp1224

A brand new Volt is like $35K, not sure where you're finding used ones for $40K, maybe a brand new, fully loaded Volt is 40K but certainly not used.

The number work out for me, and I've constantly asked people to point out anything I've omitted.

Not sure who told you that the EV rebate is gone but it's still alive and kicking.

I haven't talked to anyone who likes the new Chevy, but millions are still going to buy one.

The Rivian is an non starter for me due to the 4.5' bed length and no announcement for supporting 5th/GN, only 11,000# bumper pull. The Atlis is literally a non starter, they haven't even built a prototype and they're talking about mass production in 2020? As much as I hate the company, the Tesla truck would be the only viable option if it supports 5th wheel towing.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Look north to the land of ice and snow.

Take that away and do the #'s still work out?

12. Trunxgp1224

I didn’t get any incentives on the Tesla so yes the numbers worked out.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You didn't have to, you could have bought a used Geo Metro. Even you can't keep up with your "logic" :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They work even better when compared to this....

[​IMG]

15. Venom51

It's not logic. It's justification for a purchase. He could have saved a lot of time and effort by just saying "I bought one because I wanted one.".

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell I'd totally support him in that statement. Or even I got one instead of an econo box because I want to support them and see more ev's in the future or any other logical reason. The whole I save this huge amount over my pickup is just silly.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So how much did the original owner not save?

18. Trunxgp1224

I got an EV because it saves the most money out of every other option. I’ve already done the math for all of the options, not sure why you keep glossing over those posts with actual numbers in them with your econobox option posted.[/QUOTE]

19. Trunxgp1224

Depends on what vehicle they replaced with the Tesla, most people that buy Tesla’s don’t save shit because they’re trading up every few years regardless. If your mpg is 25+ there’s no way you’re saving based on fuel savings as an upgrade.

If your comparable car is at the end of its life and you’re replacing it anyway you would have gotten up to $7500 federal tax credit and save around 1500-2000/yr on fuel. Plus whatever maintence costs usually around $500/yr

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not glossing over a thing. I said Civic at one point and you ran with that but to be truly factual you need to look at all the econo boxes and especially used numbers since that is what your EV is. You also gloss over expenses on yours and inflate them on others, way more fun and less effort to keep poking at the silliness of comparing a DD to a truck :D