1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling armchair lawyers (and real)

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

If you have two wrongs, who is more right?

Situation
    A friend is out of town and has a house sitter watching house and dogs.
    For unknown reason the house sitter leaves the front door open enough for dogs to get out and they do when they see a cat in their yard.
    One dog apparently chases the cat all the way back to the cats home down the road and kills it.

Cats owner wants dogs owner (who was out of town) to pay cremation cost for the cat at a few hundred bucks.

My take.
    Cat owner is in the wrong as cat was off its property and trespassing, this action prompted dogs to give chase to the instigator. Dogs are in the wrong once they left their property.

Reasons why or why not the dog owner should/not pay.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

After it leaves the owners property it's a loose dog.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Pay the damn cremation cost before the cat owner gets a lawyer and the claim escalates.
    Consider it tuition for a very valuable lesson.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This is not remotely scientific, nor am I qualified to answer legal questions, but for a few hundo, why deal with it? Just pay up and apologize your ass off.

Also what kind of bitch ass cat can’t just climb a damn tree?

Ian178, TX Joose, G 97 and 6 others like this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I say this as a cat owner -

If what the OP says is true, cat was trespassing. It initiated the incident. I agree with OP's conclusion as well. Chalk it up as a "it happens" event.

Have dog owner volunteer to donate to an animal shelter fees for a cat spay/neuter for low income family. And agree to dig grave for cat in cat owner's back yard. Just don't spit on the dead cat.

6. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I had a dog smoke the inlaw's cat once. That was an awkward visit.

MikeR likes this.
  7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I agree, and told the dog owner if the cost would not break you, pay it to keep peace in the neighborhood. But some folks have their principles... You know, I was in the crosswalk and had the right of way, the truck must stop. Well, I'm dead now, but I was right!

busa99, BigBird, RichB and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My dog has come close to taking out the girlfriends dog (twice)He has been stitched up a few times. Her OLD 40 lb dog STILL challenges my Alpha 105 lb German shepherd. It causes friction between us.

track wagon and Ian178 like this.
  9. Guy that lives across the street from me owns a large funeral home. Send me the cat, he owes me a favor or two.

ZimZam, Phl218 and Fencer like this.
  10. Just remember- your dog will always be loyal to you :)
    *i don’t know your gf, was just a joke.

Fencer likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Seems to me the house sitter is culpable. Make them pay.

badmoon692008, pscook and Jedb like this.
  12. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

That's the problem with dogs. Neither of them knows any better lol. It's just their nature.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Dog Sitter should pony up for cost of cremation, if they are honourable about it.
    If not, Dog Owner should pay for the cost of cremation.

One of many reasons why cats should be indoor only.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the dog killed something in a public space. if California Animal Control got wind of it, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the dog down. if its an "aggressive breed", they def would. dog owner should pay quick so that it doesnt escalate.

I seriously doubt a cat in the front yard can be considered trespassing. maybe if there was a fence surrounding the whole yard, maybe. there are prob varying state laws over it. and even so, if there wasn't any danger to the property owners, trespassing probably doesnt absolve any responsibility for the property damage (dog killing cat).

if the dog sitter is a legal entity like those companies popping up to do this, they prob have an insurance policy for stuff like this. if its some neighbor kid, well u know.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don’t know why I can’t stop laughing at this...

Ian178, MikeR and Ducti89 like this.
  16. fastfreddie

Help me understand the logic, or lack thereof...

A cat enters a property and it's being called trespassing?
    Then a dog from the trespassed property chases the cat back to its property and kills it. This is called what, justifiable homicide?

By this reasoning, I should be able to chase down the deer trespassing on my property because the State seems to think they own them so, yes, trespassing.
    Now that I've got the deer in my sights, on State owned gamelands, I can justifiably kill it?
    Is this what's to be concluded by my interpretation of the armchair bar association's findings?

If so, I'm never buying meat again...and I damn sure won't wait for the woodrat to run off before I plug his skull.

Further, what if the cat owner plugged the dog? Self defense or, equally acceptable, the defense of someone else whose life is being threatened?

Y'all have lost your fucking minds. :crackup:

Rebel635 likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Generally speaking, dogs are supposed to be under an owner's control at all times while there is no such requirement for cats.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

Where I live, three free-roaming dogs is a pack and I'm within my rights to open fire, just as if they were coyotes.

Previous nearest neighbor had three dogs that I had witnessed on my property enough times that I checked my options with the local PD. I then spoke with those neighbors about it. They moved.

ChuckS likes this.
  19. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

I'd gladly pay for the cremation of the dog after I shot it for killing my cat.

YamahaRick and brex like this.
  20. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

I have a bro that owns a pet crematory. We’ve cracked a few beers and laughed at so many stories he comes around with.

One older lady’s German Shep died and she tried digging a hole for him. Being Texas, she hit a bunch of limestone after the first inch or two, and decided that wasn’t going to work. While putting the shovel up, she saw the ol’ wood chipper and decided to give it a run for the money. She was able to get the dog about halfway through before the damn thing got stuck, and she, in a very distraught manner, called my bro. He went over there and said her backyard was covered in entrails and smelled of death. He was able to yank out the rest of the dog for cremation, but told her she was on her own for the rest.

Anyway, my whole point in logging in to post in this thread wasn’t to tell this story, it just came to mind. My point was to inform that him and I laugh at the people who think that it’s just their family pet in their fancy urn sitting on their mantle. No, it’s a mixture of probably 300 different deceased animals, including the one who’s pic adorns the case surrounding it. You see, pet crematory ovens aren’t cleaned for one single animal every use. It takes a ton of power to heat those bastards up. Nothing is separated. Any kind of separation would melt anyway. And the ovens are not cleaned to perfection, so you have a ton of particles left from the last 10,862 uses. So, you end up having animals that have been hit by cars that the city has sent to the pet crematory. You have some doggies and cats, a few squirrels, and maybe a ferret or sixteen. In fact, you probably have a sample of half of Noah’s Ark in that tiny little urn, and maybe, just maybe, you have a little part of that dog I spoke of earlier, of which we affectionately call “Chippy”.

Fencer, YamahaRick, E Reed and 2 others like this.