RS 660?!

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah probably 100 at the crank, that's still a lot and it's light.

3. pfhenry

i'll see it when i believe it lol(yes i know thats not the traditional saying) polished this, trick forks, fancy lines in bodywork.. still a no link rear shock with a inline twin.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

ok, let's ask this way around:
    - where is aprilia now (as a company)?
    - which of their bikes sucked the most in the past 5 years?
    -what are they trying to achieve with the 660?

IMHO - they are up against a fast moving competition, especially with the guys in Bologna kicking out tech as if they were "Mela" , the 660 would be a kickass niche, where duc only has the 959 as entry level sports bike. the japanese? really going up against R6 and co? nope. but a nice rideable, sporty twin, above the fz,sv, ... possible someone found a gap in the benchmarking.

rcarson15 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. pfhenry

good points all over here but they need to pull a kawasaki and bail on GP to save $. They have v-4 history why not make something that nobody else is doing?(and include fancy price bumping shit as always)

BigBird, rcarson15 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

With the 4cyl 600/ 3cyl 675+/- class all but extinct in terms of new, relative machinery, this seems like an amazing alternative. Yes I realize MANY people race SVs and building FZ7s has gotten popular, but starting with a platform initially designed for racing type riding is much more appealing to me. Not stoked on it being a parallel twin, but if that keeps it affordable (or more so at least) then I'm all for it.

The chassis is interesting looking. I wonder why they chose to not include the swingarm pivot bracing in the same way they do with the RSV4. This setup has the swingarm fastened to the engine much in the way the Panigale V4 does.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

No, it doesn't. The rear shock is bolted on the frame.

edit:what was I thinking,the swingarm pivot axle is like the V4 pani,of course you're right

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

One of the articles I read mentioned it being a weight savings thing.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I wonder if I'll have to check valve clearances at 800 miles or 1K?

10. Before long (assuming someone wants a new bike), the choices will be between a 1000-1200cc, 210-220hp fire breathing dragon......or a 80-90hp LW-Twin.

I love how the Liter bikes are getting more and more insane all the time, I just wish MW bikes would progress also.

There was a time when MW bikes were almost pointless. They cost damn near the same as Liter bikes, and Liter bikes only made 30-40hp more.

But now Liter bikes make 70-90hp more, and have gone up in price. That has widened the performance and cost gap to the point where MW bikes are (or could be) relevant again...if companies actually wanted to invest in giving us some new/good ones.

11. nlzmo400r

Agreed. I love the idea of a modern 600ish 3/4/5cyl making 165hp

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

People won't pay $15K for a bitchin 600 street bike, me thinks.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

thinking back about the aprilia model names, the fact that they'd call it an RS makes me think that it won't be a slug. RS125, RS250, RSV-4 were all proper "(race-able) bikes". if they'd make it a supersporty bike, they'd not call it RS, rather "superduro" or "Dorsostrada" or something like that.
    at least that's what i'm hoping for.

14. nlzmo400r

you're definitely right when 600s make apprx. 110whp, weigh the same as their 1000cc brothers and are completely devoid of toys like electronic aids, and tft displays.

Given that current (mid-upper trim) European liter bikes are in the 20k range, I think a thoroughly modern 600ish machine making 140-150whp, weighing 410lb-ish wet, and having nice displays and modern TC/lean ABS, etc would be a good sell at apprx 14-16k USD. Then you can always tart them up with electronic suspension, lighter wheels, etc etc for more $.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Suzuki makes one... It's called the GSXR 750 and hardly anyone buys one.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Maybe because for all intents and purposes, it hasn't changed since 2006. If you look at the curb weight, HP, torque, acceleration times, top speed, dimensions, electronics, etc...it is basically the same shit since 2006. No sense in anyone going and buying a 2018 when they can just go buy a 2015, or 2008, and get the same enjoyment, and lap times.

I know it is a "chicken or the egg" scenario, but if they put some effort into it, like they did the 1000, then people might buy one...like they have been buying the new 1000.

17. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

a new fz-07 is $7k and 400 lbs wet.

pretense/snobbery aside, unless the Ape makes a reliable 80 HP and runs about $10K, i don't get it.

it's gonna need to be light too.

i'm not holding my breath on ANY of that shit

that's because people are stupid. 750 is Goldilocks

pfhenry and Phl218 like this.
  18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Unless you're racing (which I realize is the minority) then you're screwed on classes... and for a street bike I would never buy a GSX-R (or any sport bike) and based on the popularity of the naked bikes recently it seems like other people are wising up as well..

19. nlzmo400r

With most RS aprilias, what you're paying for is chassis engineering. The FZ07 is going to be nowhere near as well suited to racing as this RS660 would be from a chassis standpoint. The Fz07 isn't bad, but starting off with nearly 25* of rake isn't a good launching point for a race oriented lightweight bike. Assuming the very good weight distribution and wheelbase/swingarm length a parallel twin engine allows, I would imagine aprilia will be in the ball park of 23* with a chassis much stronger around the headstock area than what the Fz07 starts with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rocalotopus and Phl218 like this.
  20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You paying for look :)
    All those lw twins with all kind frames and parts still do same lap times for similar power.

rocalotopus likes this.