1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those that question the sale of a bike with no title...

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

So you have the people that demand a title be sold with every track bike out there (and question non stop if it doesn't), but why aren't they questioning [the buying of] the selling of clean title frames? I can think of only a very few small cases where you'd legit have to buy a clean titled frame, the biggest market I see for them would be stolen bikes that make for an easy/quick profit. There are definitely the few occasions here and there where people might break a frame in a crash, for sure - but that doesn't happen nearly as often as the sale of just a bike frame and title (not to mention you'd only need a bill of sale frame/no title frame for a race bike). Motorcycle theft is still rampant but I'm sure there's no connection between the two. :eek:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plenty of people damage frames in a crash to the point where it wouldn't sell well as a street bike again.

Honestly not sure what the complaint is, a lot of people part bikes out because they can make more money that way if they're willing to invest the time. If they have the title and the frame what's it got to do with theft?

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I think what he is saying is, people scoff at buying a legit/legal b.o.s. only bike, but don't blink at people buying a titled frame and not knowing if it is going to put together a stolen bike w a clean title.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Racing forum where guys are trashing bikes every weekend doesn't put any suspicion on a the buyer of a frame. Wanting proof that you won't get in any trouble for buying that frame is desirable for most.

It doesn't beg the question in the same way having a non-titled bike in your possession does.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't know if someone buying an entire bike is going to put stolen bits on it either. Still don't get the outrage over selling a titled frame. I guess I just know of too many people and shops who part bikes out to maximize their money.

6. Wheel Bearing

You're still missing the point, those that want a clear conscious to buy a clean history bike (whether it be certificate of origin/clean title/etc) don't care if the frame they're selling is going to support a thief's motive (stealing bikes, swapping frames, profiting) - as long as they get their money right?

But they get damn riled up over a no title track bike... :Poke:

7. Wheel Bearing

Mongo would have more experience in this, but from what I've seen over the years, the ratio of crashed bikes to totaled frames from track wrecks is pretty high. I think we've all seen frames get smoked, but it's not the norm for a track crash.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again - I truly do no understand what the issue is - a titled frame is not stolen. They are being sold because parted bikes make money. They are being bought because frames get damaged.

Your assumption that all titled frames are going to thieves makes no sense to me at all. Could they be? Maybe.

The issue also with an untitled frame isn't theft. It's getting a title down the line to prove it is yours.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too bent to race is rare. Too bent to sell is less rare. Beat to shit so you can't sell it to a street rider is very very common.

They also get bent/broken regularly on the street. There is a definite large market for frames outside of the handful of people swapping them into stolen bikes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I have to ask - is all this because you tried to sell a bike with no title recently or something? :D

beac83 likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Had bought a titled frame for a Honda Sabre (go figure) back in the day because of purchasing it with a titled fucked up frame. No theft involved but I could very well have put bogus parts on it and it would have been legit. Thieves are gonna find a way as all fuck bags do. But I'm nice enough still to trust people dealing equitable items. But I still know where they live. :D

12. Wheel Bearing

Nope, but I saw the irony in it and wondered if anyone else have seen the same pattern. You still don’t get my point but clearly it’s a lost cause so I’m not going to try any further. :D

Have known racers that have had to buy a new frame. None of them cared about title status because it was going right back on a racebike.

ruckusracing likes this.
  13. ruckusracing

It's not that difficult to have a VIN ran by LEO. I don't see the issue.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

I'm sure it happens that a purchaser of a clean title frame is doing so in order to build it from a stolen bike.

But from what I have seen most peeps who steal bikes aren't looking to transfer the parts over to a clean title frame. They are looking to part it out. They don't have the desire to build a bike as it's a lot of work and it's just easier for them to part it and get $.

No doubt in my mind most clean title frames are being purchased for good intent.

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

No issue. Just discussing the intent of the peeps who purchase a clean title frame.

16. ruckusracing

. I have to agree w the o.p., I've read a lot of for sale ads that were b.o.s. only and people acted like every ad was a crook peddling stolen merchandise.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Um again, separate issue of what OP is asking/discussing.

18. ruckusracing

Um, again
    I understand what he is asking, I even stated that in the second post on the thread....

I'm simply stating, later in the conversation, that the first part of his statement is also not that big of an issue as some people make it.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The red flags go up when a potential buyer says he just wants the title for the clean frame being sold. No doubt the intent is to grind off and stamp the clean VIN on the shady frame. I've stopped plenty of bikes with re-stamped frames. A lot of times with a VIN that doesn't match the actual model and/or year.

20. Wheel Bearing

Impossible...every no titled bike out there is stolen, either from a person or from the bank.

And every clean title frame sold goes to honest people.

:crackup:

ruckusracing likes this.