Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 9, 2018.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

From wunderground.com:

The 12Z Tuesday run of the European model introduced a new and very distressing possibility: Florence stalling just offshore of North Carolina near Wilmington for roughly a day, then moving southwestward along and just off the South Carolina coast on Saturday, and finally making landfall close to Savannah, Georgia, on Sunday—all while still a hurricane. This outlandish-seeming prospect gained support from the 18Z run of the GFS model. It painted a very similar picture, with a landfall a bit farther north, near Charleston, on Sunday. The 18Z track from the experimental GFS FV3 model is very similar to the GFS track.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Winds will suck in a pretty narrow area (hurricane force). It's the surge and the rain that will do the damage. It it stalls the tidal cycles are going to fuck up the coastal areas. High tide, then the water can't drain for low tide because of the wind, then the next high tide stacks more water. Rinse and repeat.

3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

While it may very well be doom and gloom or a money grab, declaring a state of emergency allows them to bypass a lot of restrictions. Typically it expedites the approval process with the state e-procurement system, removes overtime restrictions, can remove DOT restrictions, and a lot of other normal workflow oversight procedures.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

^Werd...the government procurement process is cumbersome and not well equipped to respond rapidly. The declaration helps.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I hope you're not still planning on that .

6. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

As of right now yes. AF is saying we have to be out of Chucktown by 6pm so we will stop at Tybee and see what it does for the next 48 hours and move again if needed.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I’m about 10 miles from the New River Inlet, near Camp Lejeune, NC. The county has issued a mandatory evacuation but I’m riding this one out. The neighborhood is eerily quiet with all the people that have left. Camp Lejeune does not have a mandatory evacuation so there are a lot of pissed off spouses that were hoping to head “home” for a government paid vacation. I’m as prepared as you can be with food, water, supplies, etc. I hope the storm doesn’t rip my roof off or knock down my 60’ oak in my front yard. Those are my only worries.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Fridge and fan I get , but a blender ?
    You must be making girly drinks for all the hotties on the block at the Hurricane party :bow::timeforabeer:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Vodka Tonic for me, Marguaritas for the blonde woman.

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

9440014F-5599-4F1F-BA65-6A8A80639620.png Yeah sure. I’m right on it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Just make sure your toe tag is already filled out and affixed.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Luckily one supermarket was open this morning. I forget to get Corona & limes :)

MELK-MAN and GixxerBlade like this.
  13. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Be careful. I've rode out a few and it gets wicked sometimes. Be safe!

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, you all are screwed now...

[​IMG]

G Dawg and Robin172 like this.
  15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

6017538B-54C5-4E9F-AF25-DEE213148D80.jpeg
    I got you fam :D

MELK-MAN, G Dawg and Metalhead like this.
  16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Talladega Gran Prix just posted on the Facetubes that they are opened up for any and all campers seeking hurricane relief this weekend....

I'll be there this weekend too!!!!

XFBO, G Dawg, TLR67 and 2 others like this.
  17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

17D72953-F4A5-44FA-8CBF-67BC3BBAF5B3.jpeg Yeah we’re screwed.

G Dawg likes this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:whoosh:
    Did you see where it is on a map lol?

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Note -- those are estimated *sustained* winds. Expect 3 second peak gusts on the order of 60-70% higher. That's the stuff that breaks/throws trees.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Roof? What about your whole house? Your worries will come true if it stays on path... I would GTFO if I were you....

MELK-MAN likes this.