1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important!!! Net Neutrality day in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Venom51, Jul 12, 2017.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Seems kind of fucked up to me that Emergency Services can be held hostage during an emergency - when Verizon specifically states that it isn't their policy to do so.
    but they mentioned net neutrality so - I figured it deserved a place here.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Oh, I agree that holding them hostage during an emergency is really crappy on their part. The media should be all over that. The media loves to make big corps like Verizon into the villains.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How is it being held hostage to get what you pay for? Verizon isn't in the business of sponsoring fire departments.

They could use it for good publicity but overall it's silly to make them out to be a villain. Throttling won't harm the ability of the department to do it's job in any way either.

418 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay read more - that fire department needs to get it's shit together and buy the right plan for it's equipment. They fucked up not Verizon.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  5. CausticYarn

Except when the fire department bought it's plan based on Verizon's recommendation in the first place, and them having a policy of not throttling during an emergency.
    Then they bought the next plan that Verizon recommended during an emergency in which they were being throttled and refused to stop.
    Then had to buy another plan that Verizon recommended when their com system stopped working because they got throttled AGAIN.

This was Verizon being fucking misleading.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the recommendation was based on what they asked for. Can't hold Verizon responsible if their IT people don't know what they're doing or underestimate their usage during a large fire.

Verizon admitted the error for the emergency but that's bullshit anyway - it's still the departments fault for putting themselves in the position in the first place. There is no reason Verizon should be able to be held hostage because someone is using their own emergency as an excuse. It's damn nice of them to fix the departments screw up but they're not obligated to do so, they choose to do so.

You don't fault the O2 bottle supplier if the department doesn't have enough on hand or the hose manufacturer because they have tons in the warehouse but you need them at a scene since the department didn't buy enough or have enough on the trucks. This is no different.

I get the emotional aspect of all of this but that's all the article is doing is pulling on emotions and ignoring the facts.

Fencer likes this.
  7. CausticYarn

I am not emotional about it.
    They stated their policy and didn't follow it.
    "That's bullshit anyway" ? It's their policy.
    If it wasn't their policy then yeah - totally on the FD for their IT guy not knowing what was up.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's their policy because they are nice - it is bullshit to put them in that position. It should not be the fire departments policy to be dependent on the goodwill of a cell phone company and be dependent on the customer service rep they get knowing the policy for emergencies like that. It should not be the departments policy to prey on the goodwill of another company to save themselves money by using the emergency clause. It should not be the departments policy to bitch about the company publicly in order to try and negotiate a lower rate.

Every last bit of this is on the department. At most you can whine about the specific Verizon rep not knowing every single policy Verizon has for data customers but that's about it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Fencer likes this.
  9. CausticYarn

Nope. Verizon shouldn't have that policy in place if they don't want it used. It's that simple.
    If I don't want to scrub someone's toilet, I am not going to say yes and then bitch at them when they come ask me to do it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, no emotion involved at all when it comes to a fire department :crackup:

sheepofblue likes this.
  11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Sometimes being penny wise will end up making you pound foolish.

GixxerBlade and Fencer like this.
  12. CausticYarn

I really am not emotional over this - annoyed at Verizon because they are a giant pile of shit. But emotional? I get emotional over kittens and babies. And the girl that was sitting on the side of the road last night sobbing after putting her car in the drink. Sometimes I get emotional about the Dungeon Echo Chamber - but that's usually right round the time before the monthly curse, so I chalk that up to having the innie instead of the outtie.

You would laugh at the budget we work with. Every position is volunteer except the chief's. So our "IT Department" is someone who effs around when he isn't at his day job. You may be surprised to learn that most firefighters in this country are volunteer - and the well of volunteers is running dry.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I only have one problem with all of this. If you are going to advertise as unlimited then you should be forced to shove data through the pipes at full data speeds advertised. If you are going to throttle the customer at some point then you should have the call the plans what they are "limited" in either data volume or data throughput.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Unlimited refers to when you can connect, not how much data you can push. This goes back to the dial up era.

15. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

There is not now nor has there ever been unlimited bandwidth or speed. You are incredibly confused about internet delivery. This lack of knowledge is exactly why there is so much false comparisons about this subject.

gixxerreese likes this.
  16. Venom51

I'm not in the least confused. If "Unlimited" refers to when you can able to connect to the network and not how much data you are allowed to pass at specific speeds then you should not have to advertise that along with your very defined dollar per megabyte plans. It is quite clear to me that they are using the term Unlimited in their advertising in the very same sense as the rest of the data plan marketing. They make no separate distinction about network availability when using it.

418 likes this.
  17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

That exemplifies the ignorance of your argument. You don’t have the slightest iota of what you’re talking about.

18. Venom51

You mean the guy that designs, runs and manages IP networks has no idea about data and how it is managed in network. Sure we'll go with that. You mean the guy sitting 3 feet from the woman that was largely responsible for the marketing and advertising of Verizon's offerings for almost a decade...sure we'll go with that....

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

I have never idea if you’re bullshitting now or not - though I’m certain that you are at least about some. But if you’re too stupid to understand the difference between data size and speed then yes. I mean you. Btw, I’m damn sure I DO this stuff for a living.

20. Venom51

Perhaps you didn't read this as I did...

When you say access to me we aren't talking about data rate or data size. We are talking about your ability to connect to the network at all. That's not what they are selling when they say "Unlimited". But hey if you are happy with them marketing things as they do so be it. I have a problem with the following...

[​IMG]

Premium "Unlimited" 4G LTE data (22GB)

Is that limited or unlimited? Doesn't mention shit about access...just mentions a 22GB limit on data volume at 4G LTE speeds. Then goes on to mention that you'll be throttled down to well below 4G LTE speeds the moment you hit your Unlimited limit. Clear as a bell to me. It is clearly not in any way "Unlimited".

Throttling throughput for users on a very oversubscribed network has to happen for the health of the network as was discussed previously but it's disingenuous to use the word "Unlimited" when you clearly have to impose limits to keep the end user experience for the bulk of subscribers palatable.