1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Prayers please..

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Feb 17, 2018.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It is good news to read your dog is eating.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he is eating and seems to be better, I hope the little guy makes a full recovery.

Like already stated get rid of retractable leashes they are bad news.

One a side note we do not take our dogs to areas where people let their dogs run or even range on long leashes. As our trainer says imagine if a guy twice your size came running up to you full speed and stopped one inch away from your face, what would your reaction be? Hard to blame a dog in that situation. Not even fair to expect them to react in a positive way.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry, responsibly used, retractable leashes are no problem.

joec likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

No, sorry but they fail pretty commonly. Plus in a panic situation if the owner lets their finger off the button the leash is released allowing the dog line which can cause him to get wrapped up with the other dog and make a bad situation much worse. Ask any professional dog trainer and they will tell you no retractable leashes for training and control. A properly used prong collar and leash secured around the wrist are what you need. Humane and effective they distribute the correction equally around the pets neck instead of putting too much pressure on a specific point with little chance for human error or failure.

Scotty87 and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The leash still isn't the problem, the humans are the problem.

I totally agree they aren't to be used for training. One held short is fine for control, BTDT. A properly trained dog doesn't need a prong collar either :D

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have walked three dogs at a time with them and have no issue. It does require you to be aware of what is going on around you. When I push the button, it locks at the length selected. You have to hit the button again to release the lock. Our dogs range in size from 6 to 65 pounds. Not a single problem with any of them in a public setting. We do use vests, not collars.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agree with the human part.

Due to the type of breeds we work with we always have our dogs on lead even quite often around our house. I never want any question as to who is in control of their dog should a situation arise. Plus it gives me the opportunity to correct them at all times to reinforce proper behavior. I don’t worry about my dog being properly trained I know they are. I am more concerned about others lack of ability to control their dog. A prong collar is actually more humane than any other type of collar for training. A short tug on the leash provides an even pressure all the way around the neck. A standard collar or choker only provides pressure opposite of the correction. This could cause injury to the dogs neck or trachea.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The trainer for my Cane Corso said to always use a leather lead because it would provide a more immediate correction. Nylon leads would stretch slightly when tugged, lessening the effect. Retractable leashes were to be avoided at all costs.

That said, he's spent most of his life on a retractable leash with an Easy Walk harness. The first few years he was more prone to pulling but once we started walking every day and developed a really good bond/trust, he just knows where to go. When another jogger or dog comes near, he steps to the side of the trail and (usually) sits down to let them pass.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree on the prong for training, just can't convince the boss of that :D

If training or walking around others I go real leash. For normal runs to the car then into the office or walking at the track it's retractables. I do use a normal choke on Duncan at the track just to keep it on his head.

badmoon692008 and dobr24 like this.
  10. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I hope your dogs make a full recovery. Stay away from retractable leashes and harnesses (unless you train with them).
    They just give the dog an advantage when you are walking them. My worst fear is that my shepherd will hurt someone else's dog.
    Either loose on a leash or they just come right up to him when I know that he isn't just "friends" with ever dog he meets. Big powerful breeds are misunderstood most of the time and all the precautions I take are not enough sometimes.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

He followed me to the door to go out with Yoshi earlier.
    Was sad ..He's gotta stay in until he gets stronger,and stitches removed.

joec, panthercity and wrx_02 like this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

It is amazing how quickly they recover. Glad to hear he's up and around. That is good news.

ToofPic and Yzasserina like this.
  13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Praying for a Full recovery to your sweet baby <3

ToofPic likes this.
  14. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Prayers sent. I worry about that every time I walk my girl.

ToofPic likes this.
  15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Any of you guys/gals had to put the funnel of shame on your dogs?
    Ive avoided it mostly,because I feel so sorry for the little guy.
    He doesn't understand,but he has tried to pull at his stitches tonight,
    and he's gonna have to wear it starting tomorrow when I'm at work.:(

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Make sure he has access to a water bowl that will fit in the funnel.

panthercity and ToofPic like this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes, 2 different males when they got fixed. Conehead.

ToofPic likes this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Google soft collars.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

They will lick and pull on the stitches. They can also inflict licking trauma. They hate it but will get used to it. Putting food and water on something elevated so the cone goes around it works.

Just be glad he's not blind. And Bait got really good at slipping his collar.

They do hate the collars, but they don't hurt them and get used to them.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Yes. Some dogs take to it better than others, but he'll forgive you. Had to put one on my St Bernard and he just looked at me pathetically then proceeded on a path of destruction through the house as he didn't realize he was now twice as wide. Another dog that had been through some traumatic injuries had one on, but her brother decided to be helpful and eat the stitches out of her leg which resulted in yet another vet visit so that is something to mindful of as well. They are just attracted to wounds.

ToofPic and panthercity like this.