1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson's Ledges Road Course just got a full repave

Discussion in 'General' started by ApeMummy, Jun 12, 2017.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What's the going rate for track days there? Nelson is close enough for me to rationalize a street bike, if not a full-on race bike. I can sell my wife on a 250 if I claim it's for my daughters to race ...in 10-15 years.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If NL is close enough, then PIRC is close enough...

justjohn620 likes this.
  3. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Sean

Any word on the 3rd Grattan date?
    Also, no DH this year for NC?????

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not yet and the schedule will be updated most likely tomorrow but pretty much everything is a double heard unless a single day or combined with a National.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Cool thanks.

I'm probably wrong but, I read into the HWT class bye bye as making room so the Vintage classes could race in a single day. Thus making a DH round possible all the time.

Oh and holding to this thread, if the 3rd Grattan round is out. How 'bout adding a Nelson round? :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. Tristan

7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Jeez Louise...the tire walls are still there, there’s a serious lack of safe run off room in both the carousel and the kink/12/13 turn series...it’s a fun track that requires serious balls to be fast at but a repave doesn’t miraculously fix the serious safety issues.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

In ways, it kinda makes them worse.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  9. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Yep. I live a half hour away from Nelson and I wont ride it until they fix it which pretty much means I wont ride it ever again. A shame, it's a fun layout...

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

PIRC costs a lot more, and adds tolls. I don't know how much a day at Nelson runs now, but before the repave, you could buy a weekend for $150 or something ridiculous like that. MAYBE it was $180. And the track is around 50 miles from my house, with no tolls. I'll assume the price has gone up since the repave, but even if it's $300 for the weekend, PIRC is still more.

Isn't PIRC is running more like $370 for two days? Then factor in the PA tolls with an extra axle for a trailer, and I'm looking at double the distance to the track, plus $50+ in tolls. Yes, PIRC is objectively $120 better than Nelson Ledges, but I have two young kids at home, so the convenience of being close is worth a lot to me.

I can roll out saturday morning instead of friday night, and come home to give my wife a break between Saturday and Sunday - then make it home for dinner Sunday night.

Or just book 1 day, and not worry about blowing $50 on tolls for 1 day of riding. The run-off issues are well documented. I'd ride at 75% on a street bike, or push a slower bike (D/E class) without worrying too much about making it to a tire wall.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nelson @ $150 pre-repave was comically demoralizing.

PIRC w/tolls is worth it - and the extra hour drive, for me.

Riding on Grattan sealer that you can see your reflection in, makes tire walls not seem so bad.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I vote less rounds at sealer city and more at good tracks like PIRC or road atalanta!

13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

You all are going to make the STT good ole boys club mad if you take their trophy race away. Look at all the time and money they spend preparing for Grattan with 39 track days a year, you know because racing is expensive.

ineedanap, Nick_OMC and cav115 like this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Im good with either just get tired of the lap timer td gang that seems to thrive at Grattan. PIRC has sealer too now dont they? Maybe not in the quantity that Grattan or Mid Ohio have but I cant see it being much different in a few years.

16. Tristan

I'm sure most or all of the PA tolls can be avoided, but even if not it's worth it. rk97- have you ridden the full course yet? Sounds like you're trying really hard to talk us (or yourself) into NL being a good choice, despite the vast majority here telling you otherwise. I don't remember the exact cost of the TD last year at NL, but I remember it being pretty high.

17. mirgsracing

mirgsracing Active Member

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, that is what we're doing with Vintage, all rounds, both days.

Working on Nelson, just have to make sure it's as safe as can be with the higher speeds the new pavement will bring.

021torch and 5axis like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How are you guys spending $150 in tolls? You taking the Ohio Turnpike too? We go up 71/76 and just have the one going into PA - although coming from the South I did find a cheaper route up the river then back through Akron on the way home since there is no toll heading out of PA.

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

CCS has the same condition with Blackhawk, which is understandable. It is the track where all the riders are.