1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Official rules out yet? Bike list out yet? HELLO OUT THERE! :)

2. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Well hopefully "the race org" weeds out the tards :)

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. Yeah, I don't get that. I think they should at least stick with the "300 points earned as an Expert on an eligible machine". I can't remember the exact wording, but that's what it was back when I got my AMA license (before MA took over).

And IMO, I think that will just hurt the club racing grids even more. Guys will be like "why go Expert when I can just go Pro?"

4. JustaNobody

SV 650 07 and older the more ragged out it is the better , SBK rules since they're all cheater bikes anyways :)

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Nailed it. :crackup:

JustaNobody likes this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Go pro and still complain about their bump up letter

7. Protest the WERA bump, then enter MA races. :D

JustaNobody likes this.
  8. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should call it MotoClub, just to keep the egos in check.

9. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Spoke with the MotoAmerica gang today and the 848 will be legal.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Daymn. That's a game changer.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I call bullshit

12. JustaNobody

WHAT ??????? that can't be right , it'll be a ducati cup

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's ridiculous.

JustaNobody likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Buncha novices just became "pro racers" overnight. :)

15. 418

418 Expert #59

But the 848 isn't 600 class legal.

Go figure out that logic.

16. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Wow. Restrictor plate racing? Not much chance for SV's, FZ's and other lightweights if 848's are in.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Did they consult with CCS on that one?!?!

5axis, Gorilla George and regularguy like this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Shit, I forgot about them! Oh well, there's always someone faster.

I wrote the technical director today, I want to get a feel for what bikes might be allowed. With Yamaha being such a big participant in the series, It seems like the rules were written with the FZ-07 in mind. That being said, they sure left a lot of openings with the proposed rulebook. My turn to speculate:

Assume they index out the 848. 749 is too old. Maybe 848 with a restrictor plate or rev limit?

821 monster? Heavy, but 100 HP stock.

KTM Duke 790? Again, 100 HP this means the FZ would need a pretty good build to keep up.

796 or 797 Monster would be a good choice. Again, more HP than the FZ but heavier as well.

Of course the SV.

I'm dreaming of a 110 HP Ducati or KTM with light wheels, good suspension, and some kind of badass looking fairing. Or an FZ-07R with light wheels, R6 Front end, and 90 HP?

I wonder what kind of power the FZ makes with the listed mods- high compression, stock bore, good porting job, airbox and electronics? I know @Hordboy has discussed some of his builds here. Does anyone make cams for it?

I rode a 796 Monster at Road America last year when my 848 blew up. The bike was bone stock, just a paint job and a brembo master. Stock suspension and everything. It was a little bouncy in the transitions, but other than that I was surprised how good the chassis was. Of course it was pretty slow, but with a nice porting job, some cams and tuning, and a little suspension work it could be badass.

These bikes don't generate the big braking forces that superbikes do, so I imagine cartridge kits in stock forks would be pretty good. Even with good brakes.

19. Gino230

Well Shit. there goes my speculation.

20. Gino230

That's strange because another very well known Ducati tuner told me 2 days ago that he spoke with MA and they said there is no way the 848 will be legal?

I might have to call the guy I sold mine to and see if I can get it back!