1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

It's gonna be fun hurting feelings !

vance, TurboBlew, V5 Racer and 4 others like this.
  2. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

:)

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad to see the bitch fest has turned into a speculation fest. Seriously, we were pissed when AMA dumped the 250's and Pro Thunder, now they are bringing something similar back and there is more moaning and groaning. Who the hell knows what the elusive "fans" want to see, but what do they have to lose by switching it up from the 4 races of the R6 cup each weekend?

Look how many people show up to watch all of us mid pack, has been, bucket list club racers run our twins in AHRMA?

Having raced twins for my whole career, I'm very interested, but I'm genuinely curious how MA decided on the rules package. No overbores, limited to 8 years old, so exactly what bikes did they have in mind with these displacement figures? Why make it an 848 cup, when the bike is not even made anymore, so you have to figure that will be indexed out. LW Twins seems obvious, the big question mark will be the KTM, Monster 821, or BMW?

The monster 796 could be 105-ish HP with these rules, but they're heavy. Good chassis though. Looking forward to the homologated motorcycle list.....and to fulfilling my dreams of telling all the chicks at the bar I'm a PRO mid-pack bucket-lister!

DucatiBomber, scottn and V5 Racer like this.
  4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Making rules for a lightweight class is so hard. All the bikes that fit the CC requirement are so different in performance. MotoAmerica would need to hire a long time club twins racer as a consultant to get it right on the first shot.

Look how Mongo had to "Tweak" WERA's lightweight rules. Specific bikes are called out.
    Up to 800cc air-cooled twins
    Up to 750cc water-cooled twins with 3 valves
    Up to 700cc water-cooled twins with more than 3 valves
    Unlimited singles based on Formula rules (Superbike only)
    -No 125cc GP machines,
    *Buell Firebolt and Lightning, Harley-Davidson XR1200 (AMA Spec class limits in SS & SB), Ducati 900SS and any model using the 1000DS or 1100DS engine are allowed under Superstock rules in LWTSB only.

5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I am sure you will be running aftermarket wheels so pick your favorite flavor of R6 wheels with the AP rear conversion and some kind of R6 front end.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

What's an elephant and a rhino mixed? Elephino... I don't write the damn rules...

http://www.motoamericaregistration.com/PDF/Bulletins/2018 Part 2.8 MotoAmerica Twins Provisional.pdf

2.8.10.6 Wheels a. Wheels may be replaced (see Art. 2.3.4) and associated parts may be altered or replaced from those fitted to the homologated motorcycle. b. Aftermarket wheels must be made from aluminum (aluminum) alloys. c. The use of the following alloy materials for the wheels is not allowed: Beryllium (>=5%), Scandium (>=2%), Lithium (>=1%). d. Each specific racing wheel model must be approved and certified according to JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) T 203-85 where W (maximum design load) of art. 11.1.3 is 195 kg for front wheel and 195 kg for rear wheel, K = 1.5 for front and rear wheels. Static radius of tire: front 0.301 m, rear 0.331 m. e. Wheel manufacturers must provide copy of the certificate for their wheel(s) as proof of compliance to the MotoAmerica Technical Director when requested. f. The homologated road bike wheel and sprocket carrier assembly may be used with no modification, irrespective of material. They must meet article 2.5.10.6. (d)(e). Bearings and spacers may be changed. g. On motorcycles equipped with a double-sided swing arm (rear fork), the rear sprocket and brake rotor must remain on the rear wheel when the wheel is removed. h. Bearings, seals, and axles may be altered or replaced from those fitted to the homologated motorcycle. The use of titanium and light alloys is forbidden for wheel spindles (axles). i. Wheel balance weights may be discarded, changed or added to. j. Any inflation valves may be used. Wheel rim diameter size (front and rear) 17 inches Front wheel rim width: 3.50 inches Rear wheel rim width: 5.25-5.5 inches

7. Bruh. I've said like 3 times i wasn't talking about MA. I was just discussing the bike.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

scrolled right past the thread title huh?

I bet you can get whatever billet whale penis wheels you want for the FZ, and if not- I'm sure Livengood has a guy that can machine adaptors for R6 wheels to work.

9. Dude. I don't give a fuck what the title of the thread is. Once again, multiple people were talking about the FZ7, so I made a generic question about the bike. I have already said that at least 3 times. I guess you scrolled right past that shit huh?

10. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I am sure this part of the rules is about the new KR451 180-17 that is to be distributed starting next week. Betting we know what the spec tire for the series will be...
    Just like most of this thread, this comment is pure speculation.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Chances are slim that I will do any of MA races, but if my only choice of spec tire is a 180- that would suck with my stock rear wheel.

12. dmj_88

dmj_88 Active Member

Unless your stock rear wheel is 5.25-5.5 inches wide you won't be using your stock rear wheel anyway... per the rules.

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Buncha scrolling past mofos here today

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

How the average beeb member reads the beeb... k1229476.jpg

15. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

If MA sees the class as a "time filler" to keep the fan's attention, then have some fun with it.
    • Set the rules like a mild LWT Superbike type grid would have - format so a new bike + adds ons would be < $15,000 fully prepped.
    • Open qualifying up to 120% of pole time - the races aren't going to be that many laps anyways
    • Open tire rules
    Then watch 30-40 guys show up and have a ball racing....no fan will notice they're going a second a lap slower than the $27,000 one-off LWT bikes.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Bruh man homie G dawg. The thread is about the MA new classes and we have been specifically talking about the Twins Class. There are FZ specific threads on this forum no?

You are sure it is about the new KR451 180-17 or are you speculating? Sounds like you are speculating. Is this an educated speculation? :) How am I speculating when I'm copying and pasting right out of the preliminary rules on the Moto America Site?

Metalhead likes this.
  17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The US 165 Dunlop slick is designed for a 5.5 rim. That tire flat out sucks.. That being said, I'm pretty sure the 180/60 will be the spec tire.

cajun636 likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I hope the final rules and list of homologated bikes comes out soon, it takes time to build a bike. I'm still trying to wrap my head around these displacement categories and what bikes they had in mind when creating them.

Twins riders can't have held a SuperSport license- that means no ringers!

19. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

•  One full season as novice or expert, 6 race weekends, recommendation from the race organization

This line in twins class licensing rule has me scratching my head.
      I mean I get the point of the class but even if people dont go faster as an expert they learn a little more race craft, composure etc.
      There could be some really crazy practice sessions. Lol

Ride safe,
      AAron

418 and JustaNobody like this.
  20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

There are plenty of 600 superstock ringers!

metricdevilmoto and JustaNobody like this.