1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because friggin' race bike, that's why.

badmoon692008 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a lot of money to get smoked still lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

And you just proved why I think this class will be awesome. You can count me in on a shirt or two when available so good luck and kick some ass!

Who is next to accept the challenge? E Kraft? Come on, you know you want to.

ghetto customs likes this.
  4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Dude, if you don't know my history than I HIGHLY recommend you STFU.

Dragginass, G2G, Cam Morehead and 2 others like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, it would be a real good idea to STFU

50Joe likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, looks like it will cost more to build one of these vs. a Superstock 600 for this year. Haven't read the new 600 rules yet, but I heard they were doing away with head porting of Supersport so probably still true.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wow after reading the rules you could see some$20k SV's on the grid

cajun636 likes this.
  8. rcarson15

As if there aren't a couple of those floating around already lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

That's just it. This class isn't going to create much if any new racers. All the best, fastest lightweights are already doing what they are doing at the various club races.

Most if not all of the up and comers are going to be in the 600 class. Then factor in that the 600 class will more than likely actually be cheaper to run at a competitive level and you would be silly to run the lightweight class. Any notion that 600 teams are going to pass on running in the 600 class just to run in the lightweight class in order to make contingency and payouts is wishfull thinking. It simply isnt going to happen.

The reality is the on track racing isn't going to be much, if any different then what already exist at Wera or CCS etc. If one of MOTO Americas goals for this class is to blend club racing with their professional series, I think they will achieve this, as we will undoubtedly see the local lightweights coming out for the weekend to grid up. Which I think is good for the sport on several levels. But I have a feeling that a lot of racers are going to find out real quickly what level of high budget and dedication it actually takes to be involved with running a full national series.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We should talk, then. :D

11. rcarson15

I think it will have some of the mid-low end pack of 600 STK riders' teams consider a cheaper option being that some SVs run mid-low pack STK 600 times, so why have the additional cost + no exposure for the people in the back of the 600 class? How would the 600 class be cheaper to run (actually wondering)?

12. I just want to say that I think those tricked out AP FZ7s look badass.

I have no idea how fast they are, how they handle, or if they are better than an SV or not. But they look cool and look like they would be a lot of fun.

I think I wouldn't mind having one. It would be cool to do the LW, MW, and HW races all in the same day.

But aren't they a Triple? Will they even be legal for this MA class?

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

689cc twin. legal for all wera lwt classes and f2

14. Have you paid attention to what's been said?

The LWT class rules are much more suberbikey...which means the bikes will be expensive to build (assuming someone actually wants to be competitive).

The SVs that can run near 600 times are piloted by highly skilled riders, on some very well sorted bikes.

Anybody that thinks they are going to go from mid/back pack on a 600, to spending less money by building a cheap SV with intentions of running towards the front in LWT is sadly mistaken.

If anything, they will spend even more money, only to still finish mid/back of the LWT pack.

roaring toyz likes this.
  15. Well shit. Which bike am I thinking of? Is it the FZ9 that is a Triple?

16. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I bet you're thinking of the FZ-09, which is a triple. These are based on the FZ-07.

17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

FZ-9 is the triple

Edit: late to the party

18. Ah. Shit. My bad.

Thanks. :D

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

They won't be cheap. IMO they went too far with sbk rules in hopes of giving the smaller cc bikes a chance. That's ok. We'll stick a decent sbk motor in a SS chassis and show up for the party.

noles19, cajun636 and rcarson15 like this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There is no way you'd race even the most badass LW bike for more that a weekend.