Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

None of the natives in Lake Mary are boarding up except the same two who boarded up for Matthew. I'm locked and stocked.

Our Saturday concert cancelled and our Broadway is now a Tuesday load in. They're nuts if they think there will be crew Tuesday. Lol Wednesday maybe.

omatter34 likes this.
  2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Be safe. I'll be headed south on Monday or Tuesday, at the latest, for work.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dang. I guess that's bad news for my parents place on Sanibel. There not there right now tho, so no worries there.

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

5. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Orlando here.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Boca Raton, should be fun

7. omatter34

With the new shifts I think you are going to be better than the west coast.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's what they do during typhoons in Japan. They just spin with the wind.

9. jimne245

jimne245 Well-Known Member

Jacksonville, "sunshine state".

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Mrs. Dits and I have taken all the outdoor projectiles into the garage mahal. We have made countless runs to Winn Dixie and Publix. We're all stocked up and, as they say, "buttoned down" (God, I hate that term).

Now, if you've done hurricanes before you know... this is where it gets boring. All the prep is done and now you wait. You don't work, go fishing or anything else (although one of my kids went surfing today). It's just pure boredom.

So you do this:

http://thingsfloridianslike.com/official-hurricane-drinking-game/

V5 Racer likes this.
  11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So the local station is saying its supposed to go(back to?) Cat 5 overnight and is the first recorded hurricane to maintain 185mph winds for +36 hours straight.

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

11:00pm report has it back to cat5. Gonna be a bad ass shit fucker upper of a storm.

13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Just to be picky...37 hours. My wife's family, who all went through Andrew, are very happy to no longer be Florida residents (wife left for college the week before that shit show).

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

The Florida Straights are shallow (30 ft average) and hot. Regardless of the path of the eye, it's gonna be a long next few days for all of us.

15. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Gainesville, FL here....mom is in Cape Coral as are my in-laws. They just got an evacuation notice because they're in flood zone A. Alachua County (my county) issued an evacuation for mobile home people. Levy County, just SW of us, issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone. We're expecting just TS level winds and rains. We'll be fine, probably lose power for a couple of days. Just hoping the family down south is good. I lived in Cape Coral when the eye of Charlie passed about 20 miles north of us in 2004. That wasn't fun. No power for 3 weeks. Be safe everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell they'll be lucky if the trucks can get there by Tuesday once everyone starts heading back home.

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Latest turn has this thing hitting my parents' house right on the nose.

My dad has spent the last four years remodeling an old 1970s dump. Remodeling is an understatement. There was nothing about this house that didn't need replacing. When he bought it, I told him it needed a bulldozer. It was so ugly and so run down that I didn't think it could be saved.

Dad's a talented guy and not scared to get dirty, and four years later, it's a masterpiece. He cut every board, drove every nail, and set every tile. The place is new inside and out. Roof, siding, windows, all of it. He even I nstalled a paver driveway one brick at a time, rebuilt the boat house, and added a garage. Shit, the last time I was there he had built a mold and was pouring a new lid for his septic tank that had a crack in it. There's nothing he can't do. My mom worked her ass off too as his only helper, and the painter, gardener, and clean up crew.

If it wasn't for the sweat, they could never afford to live on the water in Isles of Capri. I was pretty pumped that they finally had their dream house, now this f#cking hurricane is going to do it in.

Biggest issue right now is that they're at 4', and the expected surge is 6'-9'. If the house survives the storm, it will still be under water.

I'm sick. I don't know what they'll do. Dad is 70 and they can't afford to rebuild at this point unless he goes back to work. If he does, who rebuilds their house? What a mess...

Sorry, venting. Good luck to all of you in tough situations.

caferace and Knotcher like this.
  18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Makes sense :D

19. omatter34

Self insured?

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

hope not?