1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opioid Crisis??

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Aug 8, 2017.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Sure can! It pays about as well as being a professional motorcycle racer.

TurboBlew and sheepofblue like this.
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Easy go eat one and flush the rest. Temptation gone.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ignore the voices.. they call you to ruin.

crashman likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yup!

@auminer, keep the pills. No offense to anyone who has struggled with substance abuse, I know this is not the same thing, but go with me on this:

I have an issue with impulse control when it comes to junk food. I'm the guy who will start on a quart of ice cream, and next thing you know it's gone. Historically I've banned sweets from my house because I felt like I needed to avoid the temptation.

When I decided to eliminate sugar from my diet, I had a weird idea. I went out and bought a giant bag of Reese's pieces, my favorite candy. I left them out on the counter so I saw them every day. It was my way of flexing my will power. That was about three months ago, and I haven't touched them.

About the same time, my mom decided to have another go at quitting smoking. I told her my theory, and she adopted it. She has a new pack of cigarettes in her car, and one at home. So far she's quit for two months, which is her longest run in about 20 years.

I think there's something to flexing those muscles of self-control. The more you use them, the stronger they get.

auminer likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's funny, too, because they don't make the furniture nearly as comfortable as they used to... all they do is make it where I'm more irritable than usual, can't piss, can't shit.

Why do I still want to take them???

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I totally agree!

When I quit smoking I savored the livin' shit out of every craving. I lived them. I experienced them. I remembered the way they made me want a cig so fuckin' bad I wanted to scream.

Then, when the next craving came along, I thought about how I'd beat the last one, and how it would be really chickenshit to give in to this one & waste all that effort I'd made & the success I'd had beating all those other ones.

It worked.

JBraun and Britt like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

JBraun likes this.
  8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Its not whiskey they drink in this state you are-tard.:D

Been affected by alcohol related crap too much. G/f at 15, killed by drunk driver. Fiancee at 20 killed by drunk driver. Changed the hell out of me. Had an uncle drink himself to death literally (had a liver transplant and the day they sent him home from the hospital, he bought a case of Pabst. Dead within 4 months).

I have no problem with people drinking. Its the driving AFTER that I do. Friends want to go out to a bar, I have no problems DD'ing for them.

jase, LED1975 and sheepofblue like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I guess the moral of the story is, don't date Woof. :Poke:

Srsly though, that's some tragic shit to have gone through. But I still ain't gonna date you. :beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

It is a big problem but a lot of it can be stoped with health professionals getting way loose on hard core pain pills... not to mention the kick backs they receive by prescribing them.

I'll never forget when I broke my hand way back in college. The doctor set it and asked "why do you want for the pain" I sat there in some pain but nothing unbearable and asked "no idea, what do you have?" He rattled off everything but cocain. I was dumbfounded that I could take the pick of the litter. I'm not so sure it should have been my choice. Think I left with some Vicodin. Maybe took one or two to see if they did anything. Just made me itchy and the rest sat there until I moved houses.

It should be a suck it up it's going to hurt conversation rather than a take your pick from the list. Pain has never been an issue with me. But I will admit the drink takes hold more than it should.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Alcohol is a painkiller too.

12. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

It's been an epidemic here in Eastern Kentucky since the late 90's. Now doctors are pretty scared of prescribing any type of opiate. At least in any significant quantity, regardless of the injury. And I don't blame them. I've witnessed people leaving the ER talking about intentionally injuring themselves just to get a prescription. A friend of a former girlfriend stole pills from my grandfather's prescription once. He'd been injured in a fall and was prescribed Darvocet, which to my understanding isn't really that strong, but she was a desperate addict. She lost her job when it was reported (she was a university cop).
    I saw a lot of people ruin their lives for this shit. I don't even know why people start aside from those who had legit prescriptions. They know what's coming. Yeah, a lot get hooked as patients, but a lot get hooked by using them as a party drug. A few years back car loads of people would go Dr shopping in Florida. A dealer would front people money to buy pills, then when they got home the junkies would get a certain percentage of them. I understand that the laws have changed in FL, but back then there wasn't really a system in place to track who was prescribing what to whom. Doctors would write a prescription for insane amounts of pills for any minor ailment, or maybe no ailment at all. There's a pretty good documentary on that.

We had dealers coming in from bigger cities because prices here were up to twice what they'd be in a larger market. After a few years of prescription opiates (oxycontin being the big one), meth moved in. Now heroin is the big thing. My wife is a social worker and has to remove children from homes on a regular basis. Almost every case is drug related. I've grown pretty numb to the damage adults do to themselves of their own free will, but it's hard not to get emotional about babies being born addicted and children living in a shit hole because their parents are junkies. Going off memory alone, I think I heard something like 8-10% of children born in WV last year were addicted. It makes a strong case for involuntary sterilization.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but brandy is horrible, and it's still an old fashioned... :D

Jesus man, I wouldn't touch the stuff either. That's a run of shit luck with one common denominator. I also have very little patience for people who drive bombed. There was no excuse before, but now that Uber is on your phone, it takes a special kind of dumbf#ck to get behind the wheel.

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Where in E. Ky?

15. In Your Corner

Especially if they are taking advantage of the problematic social services system to support them while they get stoned.
    That's a big part of the problem.

16. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Hell every weekend here the papers list at least 3-4 idiots with 4 or more DUI's. Seen one asshat with 17 convictions in the paper.

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

had a buddy who did that with meth. he bought a teener and kept it in his wallet for a year. never touched it. one day he was driving on the freeway and just reached into the wallet and tossed it out of the window.

terminus est and JBraun like this.
  18. In Your Corner

And that's when the cops pulled him over for littering, which became possession with intent to sell and he went to prison where he got shivved over a pretty boy.

The End

sheepofblue and Phl218 like this.
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Actually he was arrested and given life for molesting children but that's a whole other story

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Geez, woulda been better on the Meth... or did that cause the molestations to happen.