1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opioid Crisis??

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Aug 8, 2017.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im the opposite...lol. If I have a craving for something sugary... Ill eat enough of it to make me ill and I vomit... craving forever eliminated! I did the same with cigarettes, booze, money, craigslist deals, etc.

I know this strategy probably wont work well with opiates... :D

scottn likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Maybe I'll try that with women.
    Maybe skip the vomiting part.

3. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I just spent 45 minutes watching that, but it was, in fact, pretty good. Pretty amazing what they had going on in FL. Doesn't sound too far off from the story I told here a few weeks ago about a neighbor physician who works at a pain management clinic who is given quotas for how much pain meds they must prescribe.

I tend to be a bit cold hearted about the issue, but the documentary as well as the current state of affairs may soften me a bit. I don't know squat about heroin or these pills or how similar they are, but it does seem a bit ludicrous after 40 years of the war on drugs to allow these highly addictive pills on the market so readily.

And, like all other crises in our lifetime, this will require taxpayer funding to resolve :(

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

His wife died very suddenly and she was his world. He lost his shit after that. Even on meth he wasn't a piece of shit.

Another homeboy of mine doing life in chino who worked with the both of us ran into him there and dude tried to talk to him. My boy is AB and was obligated to assault him. Apparently dudes having a really rough time on the inside.... which he should.

Anyway back on topic

5. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Morehead.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I'm in Pikeville and there has been a problem with "pain pills" ever since I moved here 16 years ago.

7. groundhogday

One of the doctors they interviewed was working in the ER at the local hospital. At the time of the documentary controls over what was being prescribed had already become pretty strict and doctors were pretty wary of passing out prescription. Pharmacies were being burglarized, sometimes by the pharmacy owners themselves. The pain clinics in FL became the go to source for pills.
    There was a documentary MTV did in the early 2000s on the problem that was really good too. I don't know if it's online anywhere. There was one guy in particular I felt really bad for. He had his own logging business in SE Kentucky, got hurt at work, and needed surgery. Back when Oxycontin was brought to market it was advertised as being safer than other opiates in terms of risk of addiction. He got hooked on them after his surgery and lost everything. He'd really worked hard and done well for himself. Had a nice house, wife and children, successful business. I've had painful injuries before and never had trouble getting hooked on the pain meds, but they really took control of that guy. I suppose some people are more susceptible to getting hooked.
    On a side note, the Vanguard series as a whole was excellent. It was on Current TV, which became Al Jazeera America. They did a documentary on the heroin epidemic in Boston. They interviewed a mortician whose son had died of an overdose. He actually embalmed his son. When asked why he did it himself, he said because it was the last thing he'd ever get to do for his boy. That was a punch in the gut. I felt so bad for him.

8. groundhogday

It was probably around '98 or '99 the first time I heard about Oxycontin. Other pills were around before then, but it rapidly became an epidemic after Oxycontin became available.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So the G'ment is almost 20yrs behind on beginning work on the "Crisis"

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jesus, you're as unreasonable as Trump with your expectations of Congress... :Poke:

:D

Britt likes this.
  11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

What G'ment folks should actually do the fkn job and get results? Oh sorry, just fill a job slot and collect your pay, keep identifying problems and move on to the next crisis...I get it.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There's lots of dollas in protracted studies... ;)

Phl218 and crashman like this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

next to my dentist's practice is a pain doctor.

last appointment i said to my doc : nice x-type you got there (black) - he said LOL, that one belongs to the pain doctor. it's his Monday car. dresses all black, different car for each day of the week.

nurses are reporting now that on sign-in sheets people mention under allergies: no opioids (too easy to get hooked)

if they (gov or above) wanted it to go away, they'd ban that shit.

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

And yet those banked drugs remain in the bank unless required. How do all of those racers manage to get through the day without diving into that stash? As far as I'm concerned they could sell it OTC, it will sit there unless I actually need it.

CMRA 270 and renegade17 like this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am with you. There is zero chance of me ever getting hooked on that shit but I really do not agree with even keeping stuff for "an emergency". If I am hurt bad enough to take that shit at a race track there is a pretty good chance they are hauling me away in an ambulance and the Dr's will see enough damage that they will give me what I need to deaden the pain at that point.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Euthanasia? :Poke: :D

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:That is always a viable alternative to traditional pain management. Not sure I would want to go to Dr. Dern for an injury though...:D

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I wouldn't stick only one finger in yer bum ;)

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

CMRA 270 likes this.