1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my F250 5.4. Diesel or not? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Apr 17, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sounds like he wants a 3/4 ton for towing duties. I have a new F150 Ecoboost and love it, but its probably not up to towing big loads.

No idea why someone would drop 22 large on an 11 year old truck with probably 100K+ miles, but I guess he has his reasons.

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I have an '03 f250 6.0. I've been through just about everything with it from EGR to injectors, to studs and full bulletproofing.

The 7.3 motor is a workhorse, but is slow and the transmissions suck. The 6.0 can blow, bit if set up correctly are great...Including transmissions. The 6.4 was a bad apple, but the newer 6.7's seem to be solid.

3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

If the 5.4 serves you well then there is no reason not to get a newer 6.2 if you don't ever plan on towing anything heavier than you do now. The diesel is a $8K upgrade from the 6.2 but you'll also recoup some of that cost on resale. I do know the 6.2 is a thirsty engine compared to Ram/GM but don't know how it compares to your 2 valve 5.4, probably the same since the 6.2 has a 6spd.

Some numbers for you
    2001 5.4L - 260 hp 350 lb·ft

2011-16 6.2L - 385 hp, 405 lb·ft
    2017+ 6.2L - 385 hp, 430 lb·ft

2005+ 6.0L - 325 hp, 570 lb·ft

Driving a diesel is a completely different experience than a gas because of where they make their power. Mine is not stock, it has a full exhaust and tuned. I spent the $150 on custom tunes and love it. I have a high HP tune which great for city driving as it locks the torque in more than 5th gear and helps reduce shifting. I also have a tune designed for up to 13K that I've used traveling all over country when I did RV hotshot, no problems going up west coast mountains, etc.

Here's a link to a thread that discusses all diesels and I gave my thoughts on the 6.0 I own somewhere in there.
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/older-diesel.342516/#post-5057208

4. Trunxgp1224

I can see $100 for oil if you're using high end oil but $150 for fuel filters?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any money you put into the diesel in initial cost will come back when you sell it so for me it's a wash on that part.

As for the upkeep - I changed the oil in mine about 1/3 of the number of times as I did our V10's... Over the same mileage that is, 10k vs 3k and so on.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I would only own any new diesel while it is under warranty, and I do not care who built it. Otherwise, the 6.2 gas is a great replacement to the dog that the 5.4 was.

418 likes this.
  7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1 on the V10. The newer '08 -10 V10's are 3 valve vs the original 2 valve.

8. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

All good input. Thanks.
    My Featherlite is a hair over 2000lbs unloaded so even with my Exige in it not much over 4500lbs. The horse trailer is also aluminum, a two horse with dressing room Sundowner gooseneck and we never haul more than one horse.
    The "dog" 5.4 has been very good overall.
    Pulling my trailer from Virginia to Daytona two years ago it got about 8mpg but I was flowing in the fast lane the whole trip. Used some oil as well but it was over 285000 before the trip started
    Seems like diesel ownership has diehard fans. I don't stress my truck much and have been between 12-13 mpg since new. Resale has never concerned me as I keep my stuff until it is basically worthless and have all but given the last two and probably this one too to someone in need for next to nothing.
    Maybe I am naive thinking trucks under 100k miles are low mileage based on my getting far more than that from mine.
    Thanks to the two WERA guys for contacting me about their trucks as I would love to buy from within our community. But both were dually long beds and just more serious heavy work horses than I need
    Midway through this thread I figured the "bulletproofed" 6.0 diesel Lariat was probably my best option at what would probably be $20k
    That said, I have not started checking dealers for exactly what I would like to find which would be a new version of what I have. A crew cab 4x4 F250 four wheel non dually, 7ft bed, gas powered v8 Lariat package truck. I like white with the goldish looking bottom trim and as a luxury item I see some even have sunroofs.
    so that is a best case scenario
    Though I am guessing that even if I find exactly that I am back up to double that nice 06 diesel 6.0 which would do the job nicely.
    I guess I need to figure out how many miles I have left in me... :)

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Here's a big reason why the 6.0's has the problems. Count the studs in the 7.3 vs the 6.0.
    Ford decreased engine size, but increased power by 200 hp or whatever and reduced the number of studs by half almost.
    Which caused blown head gaskets so easily.
    New studs as part of 'bulletproofing' doesn't fix the bad design
    diesel head.jpg diesel head 1.jpg

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My 6.0 has been pretty reliable about leaving me on the side of the road every 6 months. Always electronics, last time was the FICM, don't know yet why it quit last week. Injectors are shit, too. The engine itself has always been fine but given the puny state of tune they use in the vans that's no surprise.

418 and nhammond54 like this.
  11. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

If it is not a Cummins. ..buy a gas...my opinion. Ford and Chevrolet doesn't have a diesel worth a crap!

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I have 230k on my 6.0 with little to no issues, but it is largely stock and I baby it for the most part. Gonna order one of these just in case.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes great but the 7.3s run stupid high injector pressure and guess what happens when one fails (which a daily driven unit will experience at least once a month...lol)?

I would rather spend $2500 once over the course of 300,000+ trouble free miles on a 6.0 vs nickel & diming a 7.3 for less than 200,000. (hindsight...lol)

I will say this... if you are on the road alot & want 2-300,000 miles out of a unit, the upfront acquisition cost of a diesel truck is peanuts compared to the operating budget of fuel, tires, oil, etc on the back end. Just got rid of a 2006 XL crew cab 6.0 with 360,000, last summer, for $5500. The cost of the truck was ~$34000 when new.

418 likes this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:DThe IH ford diesels blow head gaskets due to not enough clamp load from poor design. happens to stock motors .

You want stone reliable? Cummins is the answer, followed by DMax.

Not just my info; four machine shops in the area confirm it, along with cracked heads and pstons as the norm on the fords.

On top of those issues, they have that over complicated hydro-electric injector system that multiplies problems.

The Cummins is already 'bullet -proofed" :D

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This thread is like a tire thread...What do you have? Well that must be the best! I only listen to folks who have had problems then try to decipher if it was them or the machine....:beer:

16. Trunxgp1224

Most of the 6.0 'problems' can be found ahead of time with a good set of gauges. I use the edge CTS gauges which gives digital readout of all the sensors in the truck with alarms that go of when something falls below limit. I also installed a pyrometer and fuel pressure gauge to monitor those.

The most probable cause of a FICM failure is low voltage Battery voltage putting pressure on the FICM

Dragginass likes this.
  17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

A local diesel shop owner I was talking to recently has said that the 6.7 Cummins has had it's share of issues. He rarely see's the 5.9L in for anything other than maintenance, but has done quite a few head gaskets on the 6.7's.

18. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I just picked up a leftover 2016 F-250 6.2L Gas. I really wanted a diesel, but after running the numbers, the return wasn't there for me. If you do a lot of towing, then it may pay off. An older diesel, however, has a much better payoff. The cost of the DEF (for newer diesels) and slightly higher fuel price made the break-even point over 100K miles, and that is not even taking into account the increased cost of oil changes and consumables like the water-separator/filter. So far I am averaging 11.4mpg....yikes, but that 8-10k price difference buys a lot of gas.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Have you considered the Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0?

Word on the street is they haven't been selling well and dealers are discounting them like crazy to try and move them......I'm seeing up to 30% off MSRP on some dealers websites, but not sure if/what all those incentives entail.

However, I've heard of some teething issues with the transmission programming and the fact that some owners are complaining that it consumes DEF at an alarming rate.

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Well of course it's always the owners fault, it's the way of the internets.