Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

I did a quick search on him. He owns 5 clinics and has a bunch of other docs working for his business.

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

3. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Actually not a well written article. He blames the insurance companies for Reimbursement rates. However in large part it's actually cms rather than insurance companies that do it. Which sends you right back to the aca.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If it goes tits up within the next four years the Democrats will find some way to blame it on the Republicans. :D

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Well it is kinda their fault that after they bitched and bitched about it ( IMO justifiably) they were not smart enough to actually have a viable solution to fixing it when given the opportunity...

Newsshooter likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I noticed he was dumping the insurance companies that were stiffing him, but he was hanging in with the state of Maine system, which is also screwing him.
    I sense he may be a bit biased.
    It doesn't seem to occur to him that the ACA just can't deliver what it promised.
    Somehow, somewhere, somebody has to actually pay for stuff, and if they can't, someone has to have their money or labor unfairly taken to make up the difference.
    I hope his analyzing skills are better when it comes to medicine than they are with economics/

7. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

Seemed to me that he separated out cms when speaking of the private insurance companies.

Personally - I think it's both.
    I do tend to trust the docs more than the insurance companies though.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

IMO government is more responsible than anyone. Every time they "fix" something there are unintended consequences that create far more problems than they just solved. Anything that the insurance companies are doing now are because of that poorly written shit sandwich called the ACA. Blaming the insurance companies is just what those clown politicians want us to do as it diverts the blame off of them.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fix the cost of care and insurance will follow.

crashman likes this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Food for thought: The only link ever found for higher concentration of people with pacemakers in a given area was the presence of a cardiologist.

Capitalism, while the better economic system, has its limits....

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Duh....not many cariologists' in Somalia....probably not many pacemakers either.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Tort reform and legislation that makes it more difficult for lobbyists to buy off politicians would be a good start to that but will never happen as it would negatively impact the pocketbooks of those lying cheating cocksuckers in government.

Banditracer and cpettit like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had more money every month, it helped. I also had health insurance where I could go to the doc if I needed to without it costing me 6 grand first.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine does. Can't afford the good stuff as easily as I did.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aw, you're so cute sometimes. The haves will ALWAYS get better healthcare. No matter what the government does.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's not how it works or ever worked.

People have always gotten life saving care and they sort out the cost later.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I know, which is the basis of my argument that traditional laws of economics can never be applied to healthcare - in most cases you simply don't have the choice to shop.

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread. Maybe it's out of total curiosity. I just can't wrap my head around not having healthcare. Not passing judgment, its just all I've ever known.

I cut my hand, went to emergency, got stitched up, no bill. Had a bad cough, went to my doctor, got xrays, had pneumonia, got antibiotics, couple days rest and I was good to go.

Probably the most profound thing is that my eldest son was born 11 weeks early. He spent 7 weeks in the NICU, one of the best facilities in the country. We didn't pay a thing. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to worry about paying for something like that. I can only guess the hundreds of thousands (I'm guessing?????) that would cost in the US.

I'm trying not to pass judgment, but man, how do you guys deal with the stress of racing knowing that you may have to pay out of pocket for injuries? Or how does that work?

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just trying to understand.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've spent a good chunk of my life without healthcare. You don't go for anything other than potential broken bones. Including stitches a lot of times, super glue works great. You learn to keep wounds clean.

Then I had it and could get checkups and the like. Didn't use it a bunch but I could for bronchitis and shit where a scrip would help. Before I had to deal with it.

Now I'm paying more than my Jeep cost me per month and I'm back where I cannot go see a doc for anything that isn't broken. If I do it's not a $25 copay, it's the full bill until I pay $6k out of my pocket every year. So before health insurance pays a dime I have to pay $12 grand any given year.

It's not something I think about daily but it absolutely is stressful if I start to feel sick as I know I'm fucked if it's more than a cold or the basic flu. Luckily I'm in a job where I can work from home for the daily stuff but I'm truly screwed when I have to work events, I can't afford to go see a doctor and get antibiotics or even afford the scrip now and I cannot get out of working some events unless there's a death in the family and even then not if it's mine.

With a situation like your kid the government always has picked up some but the rest you either declare bankruptcy or sell all you have to pay for it. You use the service you pay for the service.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”