1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2017 - Silly Season Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Feb 16, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Any word about Martin?

2. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does Stoker Ace come to mind when you see that chicken bike?

Gagne = Stroker

5axis likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope.....been that way since Broaster first came on the scene with AMA road racing back in like 2012 I think it was with the M4 team.

4. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

is it that they are giving away free chik fil a to get more than 14 people to show up at the track to watch?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like chick fil a.

Johnny B likes this.
  6. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I didn't see it on pg1, but isn't Jake still on a Hammer SSTK10oo this year?

7. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yes he is. Don't believe everything you see in a BBS thread!

Robby-Bobby and JJJerry like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've been keeping up with that. So yeah, a bit excited for this season :D

9. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical of the performance of the Honda regardless of the backing behind it. The bike doesnt look much different then before and the manufacturer's numbers dont impress. Simply having another bike to turn laps doesn't lend credibility to the series.

JTRC51 likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Remember they are making a big push on the World scene too with Nicky Hayden and Bradl, so hopefully if they make progress there that will trickle down to our riders here.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It'll be fine. That SP2 exists for solely that reason.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Your facts have no place here. You must be new here lol

John29 likes this.
  13. I think it will do just fine in SBK trim, for the same reason the Honda has still been relatively competitive in WSBK for all of these years, even though it was an underpowered dinosaur off the showroom floor.

When you are allowed to build/change/modify the motor, swingarm, wheels, brakes, electronics, gas tank, triples, linkage, suspension etc etc etc...the stock bike becomes almost irrelevant. Which explains why Suzuki has also been competitive in SBK trim all these years.

In SSTK trim, I don't know. It only got a 10hp bump from last year, which still leaves it 15-20hp down to the competition (depending on which bike you are comparing it to). Maybe if the chassis is great and with the right rider, it might be competitive. But all things being equal, I think in SSTK trim it will struggle.

But since it is being raced in SBK, as long as it has good backing, it should do ok.

14. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I don't think I will be able to get him to come back. He had some injuries in World Supersport, followed by some less-than-ideally-executed surgeries, and last I heard was flying a plane for a living.

Martin Cardenas is one of my favorite riders of all time. Really fast and a good guy, with a good heart. We won a lot of races and two AMA Pro Championships with him, and had a lot of fun doing it!

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I was afraid his WSS stint would be the last we saw of him. Too bad, loved his drive.

16. I hate to hear that. I loved watching him ride. The best memory I have of him was when he was chasing someone (I believe DiSalvo) on a 600 at Infineon (IIRC) several years ago. He made a mistake or got pushed off the track, something along those lines and lost alot of time. Then he went on a charge to make it up. I have never seen anyone ride a motorcycle that hard. He ultimately ended up crashing, but the way he rode in the laps prior to crashing was incredible, even inspirational. There was no doubt that he was on the absolute limit every second and was riding the shit out of that bike. The bike was literally never fully hooked up, it was either trying to tuck the front, or spinning, or sliding, or doing a wheelie, or a combination of all of them at the same time.

I know it is weird that the best memory I have of someone is from a race in which they crashed. But I will never forget how hard he was riding prior to that. I mean he was fully committed and was pouring every ounce of everything he had into it. He was either going to win it or bin it. Unfortunately, it went the wrong way. But it was still incredible to watch.

JTRC51 and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If he was over on the left when he lost it and completely yard sales the bike, that is also the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. He was , but I thought he was in the lead? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Edit: 2012 Infineon Raceway, Geico Suzuki, not in the lead.

18. Yep, that's it. That's the race im talking about. He was over on the left and hauling ass when it let go and the bike was toast.

19. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Yeah "Marteen" (roll the r) was a great rider! He was just smooth and never looked as fast as he was going! Total control and focus. He NEEDS to come back. Let's get a petition going so that JU can bring it to him!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My favorite Martin story is his reaction to running an Endurance at Miller, he was still happy but not remotely a fan of riding that long :D