Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Rear wheel steering?

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

3. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on a 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-Spec last night. Man, this thing has bells and whistles I didn't even know about. As a cybersecurity guy, the telematics stuff makes me nervous, but the ability to pre-heat or cool the car off remotely using my phone does have its appeal...!

stk0308, L8RSK8R and BigBird like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats and enjoy!

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Cool. Post a picture.

6. Sean Jordan

Photos will probably be this weekend when I'll have access to the car, a real camera, and daylight at the same time. :D

7. Sean Jordan

Oh, and a 2013 Abarth 500 will be going on the market soon...

Also, if you're interested in a nicely sorted 1st gen SV650 with a TON of spares, I can make you a package deal! :D

8. mspeed29

mspeed29 Member

Does the SV have rear wheel steering ?

Focker likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new wheels. I have a couple of Equus' with the same Tau 5.0 motor.
    Real smooth machines.

10. Sean Jordan

Sure, but it depends on how hard you twist the throttle, what shape your tire is in, etc.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Or if you left off a spacer to the hub carrier...

12. Sean Jordan

Initial impressions:

Sports sedan this thing ain't. Body roll is generally well controlled, but the thing....yaws. Like, you can feel the body yawing relatively to the wheels. It's not a lot, but seeing how I've never driven a car that does it, it's a bit disconcerting at first.

Steering is precise and easy, but divorced from the tires. It is the exact opposite of the Abarth, where you can feel every little thing and the steering is very firm and direct. Pitching this thing into the first exit loop, you feel the car turning in response to your steering inputs, but they seem a bit...disconnected? You get used to it, but it takes some time to trust it.

Power is great. Smooth, tractable, effortless acceleration. Acceleration to highway speeds is gentle but insistent and it doesn't feel like you're going fast, but you are. Shifts are smooth and quick, but if you suddenly stomp it while putzing along in 8th gear, there will be a noticeable delay as it drops 3-4 gears to provide maximum thrust. Maximum thrust is rarely necessary as a firm prod generally yields enough squirt to meet your immediate needs.

Brakes are powerful and appropriate for the 4200 beast, but they have zero initial bite which I'm not used to. I'm thinking some decent slotted rotors and real brake pads (see the stock pads below, compared to EBC yellostuff) are in order. (Dust be damned.)

It's very quiet. Sitting at a red light with the radio off I could hear my watch ticking. You don't really hear any engine noise unless you're going 10/10ths. Fast cars that are quiet are weird.

It's very big. It's 4.5 feet longer than the Abarth. I'm very glad to have the backup camera, automatically downward-tilting mirrors, and parking sensors.

It's very comfortable. The daily commute in D.C. Metro traffic is more relaxing now. The adaptive cruise control is a terrific thing.

[​IMG]

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Didn't you test drive it before you bought it? You didn't notice the steering response?

BigBird likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doubt any of them will have the go kart feel of the Abarth but Evelynes V never had any yaw or disconnected feel to it. Rode a little harsh because of it.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

What's the Genesis sitting on? More tire sidewall could explain some of the yawing feeling you never got from the Abarth. I can tell the difference between new and old tires on the Lexus and the truck just due to the flex of the tread blocks on the new tires.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Tires are a huge player in the disconnected steering department. I switched from Michelin's to Conti's last year and had to have the tires removed. It was awful waiting for the car to turn after turning the wheel.

17. Sean Jordan

Oh, I did. I'm not complaining - just sharing info.

Yeah, while still being big, the CTS-V is a proper go-fast car. They are turning verrrrry respectable laptimes in the Car & Driver Lightning Lap events at VIR.

235/45/19. Despite what I said about "floaty-boat" cars in the beginning of the thread, I changed my parameters. The Genesis is a great car, but it's definitely not in the same class as the stuff we initially discussed.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Absolutely but you might be able to get back some of the feeling when it's time to put tires on it. A different wheel tire combo that changes the sidewall ratio might eliminate a little bit of the yawing sensation and get you closer to what you are used to feeling. It will certainly never be a go cart like the Abarth. As with all things it's a trade off...more communication through the wheel is likely to move the overall ride to the harsher side of things.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  19. Sean Jordan

Oh, I don't expect it (or anything weighing 4000+ lbs for that matter) to drive like the Abarth. The Abarth is nothing but harsh. :) But that is good info about changing wheel/tire setups. It's a very poised ride - not pure luxury '80s Cadillac puffy-cloud style, but it could be a bit firmer. I'm in the process of combing various forums to see what others have done.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Wife is looking at an S5 convertible. Probably a year or two old cpo with warranty. Anyone have thoughts on it? One friend has one that's got the 6 speed manual and he's had some work done to it and loves it. She drove the A7 (flaccid after the S5) and the S7 but liked the feel of the S5 better and it's smaller.

She had been looking at the 997.2/911's but thought the S5 might be more practical.