1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dash cams, who's got them and what is best

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

What? No. Not even close.

2. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that. The car is an extension of the home. Too easily argued it's an invasion of privacy.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thats what I thought until a mouthbreather ran into the back of me. Some how when the insurance company contacts me I switched lanes and thats how dumbazz lied and claimed he ran into the back of me.
    I was livid!
    Attempted to pull city camera footage only to discover that they only retain video for 30 days. Dumbazz took that lie to court and obtained about 5G's.
    I definitely see the value in them. I truly felt violated during that situation.

Also, whatever you do, steer clear of this country's criminal justice system.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. condon66

condon66 Member well known

What I meant was honest people don't try to commit fraud. In your case, yeah, that is EXACTLY why people have them. But now you know to download the footage right away.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

6. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

7. DragginFire

DragginFire Member

In any accident, it's your word against theirs without witnesses. Not everyone is honest. I've heard people tell cops one thing, and 3 witnesses say the opposite. I'm fd and work maybe 10 wrecks or more a month. A $50 investment can save you from getting blamed for someone else's mistake. Or be the victim of criminal scammers. There's hundreds of vids on youtube showing scammers getting busted because the victim had a camera.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do you carry UM insurance?

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that assumes you get good, usable footage, with the correct POV?? That the system always records and is pretty much worry free?

10. DragginFire

DragginFire Member

My g1w has been good so far. It only films when the vehicle is running. It records on a loop, copying over old footage so you don't have to do anything unless something happens. The length depends on the SD card size. I've pulled footage twice during close calls and both times the footage was clear. Forward and rear footage is probably ideal, but forward only can at least prove red lights and other factors. The only negative I've had is the occasional blown used on the power outlet. I keep a box of fuses in the console now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Update to the original post:

Couldn't sleep last night, 3:10am and sitting on living room couch checking FB on the smatphone. Hear a car door close and alarm honk. I'm like wtf!!

In walks the 16yo............

Security cam shows her leaving at midnight, in her moms car!!

I'm not prepared for this shit

12. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Uh oooooh! Busted!
    So what did she have to say?

Mine's 22. The fun is just starting for you. :crackup:

13. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Said she was breaking up with boyfriend, after a long pause to collect her thoughts. Nothing that takes 3 1/2 hours or couldn't be done over the phone.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Breakup sex can't be done over the phone...duh... :D

evakat and Mot Okstef like this.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My dash cam saved the day when a guy swapped lanes on me trying to squeeze in where he would not fit in line and cut me off. From the placement of his back fender on my truck, it would have appeared that I hit him. The camera, on site, played the video of the guy cutting me off for the responding officer. It made a quick easy report and repair of my truck.

Then the cop had to arrest me for my road rage for beating the guy senseless with his steering wheel because my road rage had kicked in when he cut me off and hit my truck. Yeah, that was caught on tape too.

No, Wait, that part didn't happen, because I don't have road rage.. Hey Hon. I know you are still stalking me here so that bit of sarcasm is just for you. HUGS.

But, back to the question. I have tried a few lower end ones from ebay and walmart. they work ok for a while, but none have lasted more than a year. They either stop reading the SD card or they corrupt a new one and then cant read it. buying new SD cards can get pricy. SoI would not reccomend them.

I would like to find a good reliable one myself for the company trucks as they are targets for scams.
    A few years ago, a woman cut directly in front of me and I T boned her and knocked her new charger about 60 ft off the road. It totaled both her car and my company truck.

The first thing she said to the cops was
    " I am the wife of an officer, can you get him here please"
    and
    "My light was Green"

Review showed that she did indeed have a green light, so did I . Her to go straight North and me to continue straight South. NOT to turn across my lane.

Even at that it took 3 to 4 months to settle with her insurance after they accepted complete fault. But that was likely due to my road rage again of getting out with a gun and shooting stuff. Oh, Wait, that didn't happen either.

Yeah, guys, you can tell, the stupid divorce is still dragging out....

Dash cams, I highly suggest them. They prove innocence as well as guilt as was said.

R/T Performance likes this.
  16. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

How about just an old smartphone with a 64g card and windshield mount? Doesn't everyone have 3 of those laying around these days? Have thought about it myself with traffic around here.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  17. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/how-to-turn-your-phone-into-a-dash-cam-1710830106

Techmoan.com has a good list of dashcams and action cams with reviews and video on his site. A lot of manufacturer's send him their kit for review but he isn't paid and provides unbiased reviews of the products sent.

DaddyPhatSaks and Brad like this.
  18. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

Didnt think of using an old cell phone. Ill use my S3 for now with one of the free Dash Cam apps. Thanks for that.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

20. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Like you never did any crazy shit like that as a teenager and sneak out of the house and come home in the early morning hours? It not, you missed out on a lot of fun growing up. :Poke:

Security cam? Congratulations on becoming Big Brother from the George Orwell classic 1984. :moon:

If you're not prepared for it, you should have never procreated in the first place. :p