1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dash cams, who's got them and what is best

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 22, 2016.

1. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

I tried the search function but no luck, I thought surely this has been covered.

I've got my 16y/o daughter brand new to driving and would actually like one for myself.

Who uses a dash cam regularly and can give a recommendation? Would prefer forward and rear facing lenses in one unit.

Colin

2. DragginFire

DragginFire Member

I have a g1w. It's only a forward facing but it works great and it's only about $50. When i researched it had tons of good reviews. Some walmarts carry a brand for around $40. There's lots of decent choices on amazon around the $50 range.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Why would you want one?

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I have a FalconZero F170 and while the camera itself shoots decent enough video, off-loading the data is a royal pain in the ass. I don't want to pull the SD card out every time, I just want to hook it up to my laptop via the data cable, but it usually takes three or four tries to get it to connect, then it loses connection, then three or four tries to connect again. PITA.

The windshield suction cup mount is surprisingly sticky, though. I was concerned about its longevity.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Liability. I'm looking into front and rear cams. Great topic. Need one for the bike as well.

6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Are you getting into a lot of crashes that warrants 24/7 surveillance?

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hopefully not. Having been a victim of a hit and run I see the value.

DucatiBomber, BigBird and Dragginass like this.
  8. dtalbott

Just seems like the cameras could be used to prove innocence as well as guilt.

9. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

Why wouldnt you want one?
    Ive been researching myself, i want a dual, front and rear camera.

10. dtalbott

I pay attention when I drive.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  11. condon66

condon66 Member well known

When there are no witnesses and a driver blows a red and tries to blame you for blowin the red.....insurance battle over.

12. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Honest people aren't worried about being proven guilty. People and fleet owners use them to save them from injustice or fraud.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think every car in Russia has them. :crackup:

14. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I'm sure they will be required within 5 years on all cars. Like anti locks and rear view cameras.

15. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Some cars supposedly already have them.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

After getting one in my own truck after having two close calls with asshats texting & driving, I realized that it was having the side effect of making me an even more careful, less aggressive driver, since I knew there was video going at all times.

That afternoon I ordered a cheaper model for every truck in my work fleet. I keep a 30 day record of each truck. Can't recall the make & model of the camera ATM, but it's forward only & video resolution sucks so I wouldn't recc them either.

18. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

doesn't every intersection already have a cam?

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Lots of intersections and roadways have cameras but many are just there so DOT's can monitor traffic flow. They have little, if any, recording capacity.

20. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

I also have a Blackvue. Never had any problems connecting mine with the iphone. Love how it breaks down the entire trip into 3 minute (or whatever you set) clips with time and date. It will also stamp an event indicator on each video clip. Such as E for an event (hard braking of Gshock), N for normal, and I think there is one for motion (when parked). Also has GPS speed stamp, this can be toggled on or off. I think it can overlay your trip with Google maps, but I have never tried it. Great picture. You do have to pull the memory card for viewing.