Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

What was it about the car that changed your mind?

masshole likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You should be able to find some lower mileage examples. It's not a full on track car but it's a damn good daily driver. The only thing that could make it better would be a dual clutch tranny. Everything else is pretty solid.

3. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

The reputation of very high reliability, great engine, and it's a bit of a sleeper. Nice trunk, but the tight 2 person back seat is kind of a buzzkill.

Yep. And it is my understanding that the seatbelt pretensioner fix is being shipped out now.

4. Venom51

I'd agree with that. The back seat foot well gets pretty tight.

It makes a great noise when the upper intake opens up.

5. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Rear suspension design of the isf and is 350 is not conducive to traction.

Comfortable ride and fantastic brakes though.

6. Venom51

The electronic nannies kick in way before any actual traction problems develop. It's the modern car way.

7. Sean Jordan

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  8. Venom51

I don't live or drive in winter weather. But I suspect a 400+ rear wheel drive car is a pain in the ass to keep in a straight line in the snow.

9. Sean Jordan

You'd be amazed what real snow tires can do.

Hollywood and BigBird like this.
  10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I had an 07 IS350. With new snow tires and a half inch of slush, touching the accelerator from a stop would result in no movement, just a flashing TC light, that was in snow mode. My 1979 Volare with an open diff and 360 V8 was better.

I got rid of the car after growing tired of terrible winter performance and a half dozen recalls. I've had an A4 for the last 3.5 years and love it except for a few nits.

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I owned an IS350

12. Venom51

If I had to worry about driving in the ice and snow then a 2 wheel drive 400+ HP sedan would not be on my list of vehicles for those conditions. Even the choice of all-wheel drive systems would be pretty important. Some are better than others and certainly do not equate to 4 wheel drive.

I working on a completely unneeded and unjustifiable car purchase at the moment. I don't need another car but I want to slow down the mileage growth on the IS-F because I want to keep it around along time. Plus I need something that can haul a dog to the vet conveniently. My completely irrational choice is this....

[​IMG]

I like weird cars...I'm aware.

13. Sean Jordan

I drove a C63 AMG and a Genesis 5.0 R-Spec today. The AMG was great, terrific motor, handled like it was on rails. The Genesis was definitely not a sporty car like the AMG (though I didn't get to put it through the paces on some curvy back roads like I did the AMG), but it was noteworthy in that it didn't really have any body roll. It's definitely a bigger car and not in the same class as the other stuff that's been discussed. However, it was a really nice car, very composed and the 5.0L V8 was silky and smooth. I find myself kind of leaning toward the Genesis - especially as they are $10k less than the proper sport sedans I've been looking at and have 7 years of factory warranty left that I don't have to pay for.

14. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I thought you were looking at an ISF, not that you already had one.

15. Venom51

We have had it for about 4+ years.

16. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I believe I read that the Genesis is the fastest depreciating car sold in the US today.

17. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Sorry, confused you with the OP.

18. Sean Jordan

I don't doubt it. 3 year old cars with under 30k miles going for $25k. It is A LOT of bang for the buck.

19. Venom51

You any closer to a decision?

20. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Today I got a ride in a BMW 760 with a V-12.....holy mother of god!!!! And it was just a quick spin sound the block. It's got rear wheel steering, thermal vision(cool as shit and works in the day too), looks awesome!!!! And my buddy says it's worth about $37k(150kish new). Of course your probably going to pay to keep it running...